Nick Newell comments on Pettis/Ferguson fight

Yeah but he broke his right hand, which is his power hand. What's he supposed to do jab tony?
Newell has one hand but it's still his power hand so it's easier for him.
Saki fought Alistair Overeem (on roids) in K-1 with one arm and still won the majority of the round until he had to stop.

That's hilarious. Surely even Pettis would see the funny side of that.

Saki fought Alistair Overeem (on roids) in K-1 with one arm and still won the majority of the round until he had to stop.
WAs it his dominant arm?
Because tony was in Pettis's face the entire fight, not giving him enough space to kick. So he couldn't kick and he couldn't punch either other than his jab, which wont do anything to tony. Basically without the right hand Pettis was like a deer in headlights

WAs it his dominant arm?
Because tony was in Pettis's face the entire fight, not giving him enough space to kick. So he couldn't kick and he couldn't punch either other than his jab, which wont do anything to tony. Basically without the right hand Pettis was like a deer in headlights
I think he's left handed but not sure. However, he had a broken hand and broken elbow.

"However, he broke his right hand during the fight and went on to battle Golden Gloryteammate Alistair Overeem in the semis. Using only his left hand and his kicks, he managed to outpoint his larger opponent; knocking Overeem down with a spin kick that was not counted, although Alistair landed a heavy left kick to Saki's right elbow that was also broken in his quarter-final fight. The fight was stopped in the first round as Saki could not continue however he gained huge respect for his heart and courage."

It’s very impressive. He’s an inspirational figure to anyone paying attention.

He’s never been in the position Pettis was in, with the incredible pain of a shattered hand and without the ability to use one of his best weapons going into the third round against someone as skilled, endurant, and dangerous as Ferguson on the other side. Further, Newell developed a game based around missing his hand, Pettis did not.

My point, since people here are dumb enough to need everything spelled out, is that Newell’s offering a false equivalency based on one similar element, forgetting all of the further hardships Pettis was facing relative to the ones Newell has in his fights.
Dude, I'm sure Newell's comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Relax bro.

I promise you Nick Newell, you don't wanna fight Tony Ferguson with your one hand.

It wouldn't end well, sir.

It’s very impressive. He’s an inspirational figure to anyone paying attention.

He’s never been in the position Pettis was in, with the incredible pain of a shattered hand and without the ability to use one of his best weapons going into the third round against someone as skilled, endurant, and dangerous as Ferguson on the other side. Further, Newell developed a game based around missing his hand, Pettis did not.

My point, since people here are dumb enough to need everything spelled out, is that Newell’s offering a false equivalency based on one similar element, forgetting all of the further hardships Pettis was facing relative to the ones Newell has in his fights.

Newell was just joking.

WAs it his dominant arm?

there's more strikes than right hands and jabs.

left hook, elbows, knees, all of those strikes are still viable options.

also, Urijah Faber broke both of his hands vs Mike Brown and lost a 5 rd decision.

Pettis' hand wasn't broken for the post fight medical suspensions? He just wanted out.

btw any version of Nick Newell (except alternate dimension two-armed Nick) wouldn't have lasted in there for half of that time.

And how many times was Nick a UFC champ?
I don't give a fk if he has one hand.

Nick is great and an inspiration. And he was joking around.

That said, fucking Goro from Mortal Kombat and his 4 arms would wilt under the pressure that Ferguson brings. Tony is damn near inhuman in the cardio and pressure he brings. The guy drowns people on dry land.

He's the best LW in the planet, and I don't think it all that close honestly. I know a lot of people will think that's a bit nuts, but after seeing Khabib noticeably tire vs Raging Al and then need rd 3 off vs Conor after trying to finish him in rd 2, I am saying right now that Khabib has nothing for Tony. Yeah he'll probably win rd 1 and maybe rd 2 but after using the energy he will need to use to do it he's gonna get mauled. Tony doesn't get tired and uses that cardio as a weapon.

Newell would give his right arm for a UFC contract.

Seriously now, am I the only one impressed by Newell's performances?
Yes, what he said about Pettis was stupid (different level)
Yes, he fought mostly cans, except Gaethje.
But those cans had 2 hands..
And he survived to Gaethje almost 2 rounds
And he has 14 wins.

Back