Nick Newell comments on Pettis/Ferguson fight

It wasn't the arm, the man checked out he was done, only thing left was more damage.

there's more strikes than right hands and jabs.

left hook, elbows, knees, all of those strikes are still viable options.

also, Urijah Faber broke both of his hands vs Mike Brown and lost a 5 rd decision.
I know. But i'm talking about a specific sinario, where Pettis is a kicker , he needs space to kick and the only way to get to stop pressing him and moving forward is to hit him with some big right hands so he shows respect and gives you the space you need to get your kicks going. His main power hand was out of commission, and he's never gonna win an elbow-off with tony. Without his power hand he was severely compromised.

uQ7wMN6.jpg

Seriously now, am I the only one impressed by Newell's performances?
Yes, what he said about Pettis was stupid (different level)
Yes, he fought mostly cans, except Gaethje.
But those cans had 2 hands..
And he survived to Gaethje almost 2 rounds
And he has 14 wins.

Of course you aren't the only one. But many here already know about him for a long time, you probably just heard about him now.

Did Pettis actually break his hand?

It's kind of a big deal I think. I've always been a big fan, but would be disappointed if he just used that as an excuse.

I wouldnt think any less of a guy quitting on the stool as long as they're honest about it. If you got nothing left, you got nothing left. But don't lie and take that victory away from your opponent.

Did Pettis actually break his hand?

It's kind of a big deal I think. I've always been a big fan, but would be disappointed if he just used that as an excuse.

I wouldnt think any less of a guy quitting on the stool as long as they're honest about it. If you got nothing left, you got nothing left. But don't lie and take that victory away from your opponent.
MRI came back negative for any damage to hand. I’m sure it hurt though

Do people on this site not understand a joke when they see one?

It wasn't the arm, the man checked out he was done, only thing left was more damage.

This he has to be joking. Tony woulda literally murdered Pettis if he went back in. Coach saved his life with hand excuse.

This he has to be joking. Tony woulda literally murdered Pettis if he went back in. Coach saved his life with hand excuse.

Yep Pettis was done mentally and cardio wise, unless Tony slips and brakes his leg or something extreme like that all that would have fallowed it would be more damage and a brutal finish cause I don't think he had enough in him to survive another 5 minutes at that point vs a fighter that can still go he won't go easy on you.

The coach picked a reason and went with it diplomatically, he smelled his boy he just wanted to be sure. Pettis will never get a belt again, he is good but the edge is gone now.

Last edited:
Yep Pettis was done mentally and cardio wise, unless Tony slips and brakes his leg or something extreme like that all that would have fallowed it would be more damage and a brutal finish cause I don't think he had enough in him to survive another 5 minutes at that point vs a fighter that can still go he won't go easy on you.

The coach picked a reason ad went with it diplomatically, he smelled his boy he just wanted to be sure. Pettis will never get a belt again, he is good but the edge is gone now.
wait so what was the final word on Pettis’s hand?

I remember reading that his post-fight medical didn’t mention a broken hand

wait so what was the final word on Pettis’s hand?

I remember reading that his post-fight medical didn’t mention a broken hand

No idea, I suspect some sort of minor fracture.

Point is fighters take that injury early in fights and they end the fights but here like I said this wasn't the main reason the fight was stopped.

Seriously now, am I the only one impressed by Newell's performances?
Yes, what he said about Pettis was stupid (different level)
Yes, he fought mostly cans, except Gaethje.
But those cans had 2 hands..
And he survived to Gaethje almost 2 rounds
And he has 14 wins.

He landed a few decent shots on Gaethje too.

Remind me how many UFC fights Newell has ? And how many top guys he’s fought ?
pettis bitched out. Holtzman broke one if not both of his hands and still continued to fight... and win by KO. dont even get me going on the Faber vs brown fight

Is a fighter obliged to stay in until the inevitable end to a one-sided beat down? And if the answer is yes, the next question is why?

Back