Nick Curson Elevation Mask ?

Looks like a good way to rebreath your own carbon dioxide. I wonder if anyone has given themselves hypercapnia while wearing one of these things.

If you have ever seen someone pass out or nearly pass out from using it, then yes they experienced it mildly to say the least.

If you have ever seen someone pass out or nearly pass out from using it, then yes they experienced it mildly to say the least.
death-no-15.jpg

I thought there was a whole thread on this forum calling him a dumbass and a hack because he thought the feet contained the most powerful muscles in the body or some shit. It had a link to the podcast where he said it, on JRE
Your feet and the muscles around your ankle (soleus, etc.) are responsible for nearly 70% of your upright posture. Wheneve you lift anything, squat, deadlift , those muscles are activated to a high degree to stabilise the entire body and load being moved, now take into account the length of the foot as a lever in relation to the body and you'll understand better how much force these muscles must produce to prevent you from falling on your face. Try to lift without your feet. If they're not the strongest then they are damn close.

Explosive training and steroids.

If the so-called "elevation masks" have any effect on fast-twitch fibers, that would likely be a detrimental one (because you'd be training at lower intensities).
There are studies that show hypertrophy of type 2x fibers in soleus muscles of rats tribes in hypoxia, I experimented with it, wasn't sold on it... I will say this though,I feel it helps repattern breathing like nothing else which is probably where, if any cardio benefit comes from.

Last edited:
I just plug my nose and breathe through a straw while I train, much cheaper and it makes me gas out in 30 seconds as opposed to 1 minute with the altitude mask

Yeah
Your feet and the muscles around your ankle (soleus, etc.) are responsible for nearly 70% of your upright posture. Wheneve you lift anything, squat, deadlift , those muscles are activated to a high degree to stabilise the entire body and load being moved, now take into account the length of the foot as a lever in relation to the body and you'll understand better how much force these muscles must produce to prevent you from falling on your face. Try to lift without your feet. If they're not the strongest then they are damn close.
but he went so far as to say you should do shit like tip toe leg presses and dumb shit like that.

Most physiologists believe that each individual have a set fiber distribution, but that you can change the characteristics of the fibers through training. Basicly there's slow twitch and two kinds of fast twitch fibers.

The quickest fast twitch fibers doesn't have many, if any, myoglobin, capillaries or oxidative enzymes, meaning they have to produce energy without oxygen. That's anaerobic work, from the Greek an (without), aer (air) and bios (life), meaning something that lives without air.

Usually when you do plyos and other high intensity stuff, you are doing anerobic work and cultivating both your fast twitch characteristics and anerobic energy systems efficiency. I guess his thought process is that a mask will further restrict oxygen intake and add to that process.

I haven't looked into if there's any scientific evidence for that, but personally I don't think the mask will work that way. Just like the mask won't work like high altitude.
Yeah

but he went so far as to say you should do shit like tip toe leg presses and dumb shit like that.
you mean work your ankle joint through a full range of motion? Doesn't sound all that stupid. If you haven't tried it you're probably neglecting a lot of extra strength you could be developing.

you mean work your ankle joint through a full range of motion? Doesn't sound all that stupid. If you haven't tried it you're probably neglecting a lot of extra strength you could be developing.
So do calf raises?

Yeah

That sounds like using a leg press to approximate a squat jump. Not going to be a primary movement for most people, but no particular reason it should be a crazy bad idea. Probably would work better with flywheel resistance than a normal-ass leg press (and is known to work pretty damn well with just a barbell)

I just plug my nose and breathe through a straw while I train, much cheaper and it makes me gas out in 30 seconds as opposed to 1 minute with the altitude mask
So you gas out while drinking milkshakes, got it.

I've walked on my tip toes most my life due to tight Achilles' tendons, calves of a pro bodybuilder and I'm sure my ankles are just fine.

That sounds like using a leg press to approximate a squat jump. Not going to be a primary movement for most people, but no particular reason it should be a crazy bad idea. Probably would work better with flywheel resistance than a normal-ass leg press (and is known to work pretty damn well with just a barbell)
Leg press is a much more common piece of equipment than flywheel, which is why I mentioned. Unloaded leg press should be light enough to work all the toes as well as the ankle. Triple extension is one of the most commonly undertrained movements, yet essential for nearly ever Sport.

I've walked on my tip toes most my life due to tight Achilles' tendons, calves of a pro bodybuilder and I'm sure my ankles are just fine.
You've got it backwards, prob safe to say your ankles ARE NOT fine if you've got tight Achilles forcing you to walk on your " tip toes".

Leg press is a much more common piece of equipment than flywheel, which is why I mentioned. Unloaded leg press should be light enough to work all the toes as well as the ankle. Triple extension is one of the most commonly undertrained movements, yet essential for nearly ever Sport.

Why not a high pull, or clean? Requires less equipment. Or a med ball toss from the floor?

Which is unfortunate. Flywheel devices are pretty rad, but for some reason the equipment price is crazily inflated (the KBOX is like 5 grand?) despite being slightly less complex than a Concept II. Someone should really attempt to undercut the market rate soon.

I haven't looked into if there's any scientific evidence for that, but personally I don't think the mask will work that way. Just like the mask won't work like high altitude.

Every training mask claim that I've seen is complete bullshit. You might as well just choke yourself for a similar effect.

The only ways to obtain the benefits of lower oxygen concentration are to:
1. Go to altitude
2. Use a high altitude tent.
3. a re-breather with a CO2 scrubber.

In addition, it had been shown repeatedly that you don't need to train at low O2 pressure to obtain the maximum benefit. You should sleep at low pressure and train at sea level. There is a mountain of work in the scientific literature on this topic.

Looks like a good way to rebreath your own carbon dioxide. I wonder if anyone has given themselves hypercapnia while wearing one of these things.

Correct. Real high altitude re-breather systems include a CO2 scrubber such as sodasorb.

soda6.jpg

But it does not alter SP02 le
Why not a high pull, or clean? Requires less equipment. Or a med ball toss from the floor?
you can do those as well as a progressive exercise to the above mentioned. Going right to explosive movements doesn't give the toes and other smaller intrinsic muscle enough attention to get the best out of them, but what you mentioned are all great exercises, just prefer them after rehabbing feet and toes.

Every training mask claim that I've seen is complete bullshit. You might as well just choke yourself for a similar effect.

The only ways to obtain the benefits of lower oxygen concentration are to:
1. Go to altitude
2. Use a high altitude tent.
3. a re-breather with a CO2 scrubber.

In addition, it had been shown repeatedly that you don't need to train at low O2 pressure to obtain the maximum benefit. You should sleep at low pressure and train at sea level. There is a mountain of work in the scientific literature on this topic.
I've compared elevation masks to hypoxic trainers on my YouTube, elevation mask obviously doesn't alter spo2, however it MAY force a more controlled breathing pattern due to restriction which may have benefit. Personally never used or recommended an elevation mask, except for that one test...

Back