Nick Curson Elevation Mask ?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Noodles03, May 29, 2017.

1. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    Hi, I recently saw an old video of Rafael Dos Anjos training for his up coming fight and Nick Curson had Dos Anjos doing plyometric while wearing an elevation mask. Nick made a comment that it was suppose to create type 2 muscles fibers hypertrophy, however can someone explain to me on how performing plyometric while wearing an elevation mask can cause hypertrophy to the type 2 muscle fibers.

2. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    Did you try to do even a minimal amount of research on this topic on your own before starting this thread?

corpse likes this.
  3. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03

I did and I couldn't find the benefits on how elevation mask can you help with your performance, especially if your training your fast twitch fibers.

4. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    Isn't Curson maligned as an idiot on this forum, much like myself?

That said, what he's doing must be right then.

SpeedofSPort likes this.
  5. ripskater Double Yellow Card

ripskater
    I think Curson is a very good trainer and he gets good results.

I have no idea about the training mask or changing muscle fiber types. I do believe his methods achieve more explosiveness and is most beneficial to strikers and boxers.

The mobility work that he gets from the swiss ball exercises is also vastly superior to any foam rolling or the typical stuff you will see.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    biscuitsbrah and SpeedofSPort like this.
  6. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Most physiologists believe that each individual have a set fiber distribution, but that you can change the characteristics of the fibers through training. Basicly there's slow twitch and two kinds of fast twitch fibers.

The quickest fast twitch fibers doesn't have many, if any, myoglobin, capillaries or oxidative enzymes, meaning they have to produce energy without oxygen. That's anaerobic work, from the Greek an (without), aer (air) and bios (life), meaning something that lives without air.

Usually when you do plyos and other high intensity stuff, you are doing anerobic work and cultivating both your fast twitch characteristics and anerobic energy systems efficiency. I guess his thought process is that a mask will further restrict oxygen intake and add to that process.

I haven't looked into if there's any scientific evidence for that, but personally I don't think the mask will work that way. Just like the mask won't work like high altitude.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. PivotPunch Red Belt

PivotPunch
    My guess is that its just endurance work.

@Sano he doesn't use the normal altitude mask he has some mask connected to a device that creates air with lowered oxygen so tbf what he does really works for endurance at least.

Why he combines altitude work with plyometrics though is something Ive wondered myself. Joe Rogan also says (I'm sure he has it from somewhere semi elgit at least) that training at sea level but resting at altitude is more effecftive. Angel Heredia though thinks altitude training is bad at worse and that it negatively affects your strength and muscles.

No idea what the right science is

8. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    I thought there was a whole thread on this forum calling him a dumbass and a hack because he thought the feet contained the most powerful muscles in the body or some shit. It had a link to the podcast where he said it, on JRE

9. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
  10. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Ah so he uses the machine thingy with legitimately lower O2/oxygen pressure. I see. That would simulate being at higher altitude, but again, using it like that in short durations I have no idea if it's anything other than a negligant benefit, or even harmful. You need to be past the acute and subacute stages of adaption to get the real cardiovascular benefits, and that takes a while (weeks/months) in constant exposure.

As you say, some would argue that it would lower output, and thereby performance. I think the whole low vs high altitude thing is a complicated matter. Someone living at altitude and getting their red blood cell count up, and then performing or training at lower altitude would probably have the most gas yes. Haven't really bothered to delve deeper into the pros and cons of various other adaptions, but what Curson is doing sounds like a pretty short sighted hypothetical in this regard.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  11. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Which should have been your first clue.

12. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    I was kind hoping to hear if there was some kind of magical method on causing hypertrophy to the type 2 muscle fibers.

13. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Explosive training and steroids.

If the so-called "elevation masks" have any effect on fast-twitch fibers, that would likely be a detrimental one (because you'd be training at lower intensities).

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  14. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    Those things are bullshit, to get the benefits of altitude you have to be in a high altitude environment 24 hours a day, not just when you are working out

15. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    ^ Even at that, it's better to train low and live high, than any other combination.
    The masks are borderline useless, i've only seen one study showing benefits in decent level rugby players for clearing lactate in respiratory muscles, however they were able to gauge the amount of FiO2 and CO2 as well as partial pressure. If you can't dictate the variables, it's pointless to attempt because as said earlier, you would be training at lower intensities with a higher perceived effort = less beneficial effects. I wouldn't waste time with it.

Noodles03 and ripskater like this.
  16. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    Nick Curson mention that he uses the mask to increase hypertrophy in the type 2 muscle fibers. I have a hard time seeing a how a mask could help with muscle hypertrophy, however, are there any studies that shown that training with a mask helps with increasing hypertrophy in the type 2 muscle fibers?

17. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    I haven't come across that specifically yet, but from a basic understanding of physiology, training in hypoxic states tend to recruit more fast twitch muscle fibers. He is likely trying to apply a principle of exercise to this to see if it works/claims it works. So, in theory, if he is recruiting more fast twitch muscle fibers, this may selectively increase motor unit recruitment to these fibers. However, i have not seen a study demonstrate this specifically, so it's only based off physiology of the muscles and may not hold up in this specific modality.

Though, occlusion training works on a similar note via decreasing oxygenated blood to the working muscle tissues. But there is still a difference. The ratio of pressures between O2 and CO2 would be different due to the fact one can inhale as much O2 as possible with occlusion training and not turn hypercapnic. With the mask....you may turn hypercapnic. This is bad for training stimulus in terms of perceived effort, and a large part of the reason mountaineers pass out at altitude when not acclimated.

Keep in mind, training in hypoxic states tends to decrease training output, thus leading to a decrease in game time performance because you spent so much time at a lesser training capacity. This is why altitude training has been vastly altered in recent years under the mantra, train low live higher (unless your event is at altitude).

Sano and Noodles03 like this.
  18. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03

Thats interesting, thank you for explaining it.

19. eastNYgoon138 Green Belt

eastNYgoon138
    Snake oil

TheeFaulted likes this.
  20. wufabufa Purple Belt

wufabufa
    Looks like a good way to rebreath your own carbon dioxide. I wonder if anyone has given themselves hypercapnia while wearing one of these things.