NHL Discussion: Austonishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes him an idiot then for picking hockey as a profession.

At the end of the day whomever leads the leafs in ending their 50 + year drought is going to be praised and talked about more than Sid after they retire.
Eh, everyone has their own priorities, the Leafs job is always tempting, but maybe he doesn't care about being worshipped. He obviously loves hockey, it probably doesn't matter where he plays. I'm very grateful have had him and Malkin for so long, I think you also underestimate the Penguins fanbase. There are people in black and yellow all over Ontario.

Eh, everyone has their own priorities, the Leafs job is always tempting, but maybe he doesn't care about being worshipped. He obviously loves hockey, it probably doesn't matter where he plays. I'm very grateful have had him and Malkin for so long, I think you also underestimate the Penguins fanbase. There are people in black and yellow all over Ontario.

Eh...let's see if the fan base actually has developed some perseverance through turmoil.

Before the penguins were gifted Crosby they were in danger of losing their franchise because the fans were not spoiled with Lemieux and Jagr so they lost complete interest.

As such I have serious doubts as to the sustainability of that club shoud they go through a long drought without any generation players to rally behind.

It's been a very spoiled fan base.

Eh...let's see if the fan base actually has developed some perseverance through turmoil.

Before the penguins were gifted Crosby they were in danger of losing their franchise because the fans were not spoiled with Lemieux and Jagr so they lost complete interest.

As such I have serious doubts as to the sustainability of that club shoud they go through a long drought without any generation players to rally behind.

It's been a very spoiled fan base.

Eh, the apathy element has been overblown, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but there were plenty of other elements at play. Their average attendance stayed pretty steady, but the Igloo wasn't modern enough and there wasn't anyone willing to foot the bill to get the franchise a new home. Lemieux, hallowed be his name, saved us again.
The Pens are more of a success story, if you ask me. We got lucky winning the Sid Lottery, but putting a successful product on the ice for a decade has made them a juggernaut. I do think hockey also benefits from being a sport where even when you lose it can be exciting, though no one wants to be the whipping boy for too long. Hopefully there some kids today learning to love hockey who will keep the train running when the track gets rough.

That makes him an idiot then for picking hockey as a profession.

At the end of the day whomever leads the leafs in ending their 50 + year drought is going to be praised and talked about more than Sid after they retire.
If they become a dynasty, maybe. But if whoever leads them when they break the drought only wins one, maybe two, cup(s) they won't be talked about more than Crosby. Crosby has two cups, two Olympic gold medals, two Hart trophies, two Art Ross, Conn Smythe, etc. He still has time to add to those numbers too.

Leaf fans and the talking heads in Toronto will take about a 6th round draft pick that isn't a pylon more than most players in the league so they aren't a good measuring stick.

giphy.gif

What if I were to tell you that, 5 years later, the habs top 9 centers going into the playoffs were Danault, Shaw, and Plekanec? Would you believe me when I said that Bergevin still has supporters?

Lovely little experiment last night with Danault on the top line again. I know, I know he was 0-0-0 -2 on the evening but it's the little things! Fans only stat watch. GM's watch the game. It was the way in which he offensively contributed nothing, and was on the ice for two EV goals against. Warrants a prolonged look with our top two offensive wingers, IMO.

A Bruins and Canadiens meltdown?
Excellllent.
Nothing like wasting the prime years of this generations best goaltender.

Sens better hope they catch the Scabs. They don't wanna lose to the Leafs in the playoffs for the 100th time.

After getting eliminated by an amazing double overtime play by Keller to MacAvoy, Boeser signed a contract with Vancouver and will play tonight against the wild.

I haven't been following the draft much this year, as it's not a particularly great draft. However, this Aleksi Heponiemi looks like an interesting player. Button has him ranked highly. He reminds me a lot of Sebastian Aho. He's probably the most interesting player after 20 in the draft, that I've seen. Maybe Kole Lind would be a good pick. I'd personally rather see us make a move for Duchene at the Draft.

Kid is good enough to tank for, no doubt about it.

Feel sorry for those poor bastards tanking this year. Svechnikov and Dahlin next year, Matthews and Laine the year before.

On another note, Boeser scores in his debut

Silly Leafs, beating teams like the Jackets and getting hammered by the Panthers and Sabres.

hm, lets see.
0-6 for the shreks
implosion complete.
miss the yoffs
move away
hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back