NFL star threatens to pull a Conor, only difference is fans/players support him

The more I look into this the more I can see Bell's point and understand what he is doing. So I guess I will be the lone voice of support for him and I am not even a Steelers fan. Outside of Kickers\Punters running back make by far the least amount of money out of any position group in the NFL. It is also generally regarded as the hardest on a players body as running backs tend to have the shortest careers particularly with the way the steelers use their running backs. (As in they give them so many touches they get run into the ground.)

Also the Steelers have NEVER given a contract with guaranteed money beyond the 1st year of a contract for anyone besides quarterbacks. For all intents and purposes their original offer of 5 years for 70 million dollars was like playing on 5 one year deals as there was almost no penalty for the team to cancel the contract after the 1st year. (Except that Bell would make a hell of a lot more money playing 5 franchise tag years than signing the original contract.)

On the other hand the contract Bell signs next year is not going to be big enough to counteract not playing this year so overall he is going to lose money. Bell's calculus was this. By not playing this year he is preserving his body to play the next couple of years and get his full value in his next contract.
You are not factoring injury. With the franchise tag of he had a career ending injury this year he gets 14 mil. If he got the contract he wants he retires with 60 mil with a career ending injury

TLDR, the best running back in the league, in his prime, is threatening to sit out or retire if he gets franchise tagged again (basically a one year contract for 14.5 million guaranteed). His comments sound very conor-esque, joe. Fans of the Steelers are asking management to pay him what he's worth and other players agree he is doing the right thing to ask for a long term deal and paid as the best running back in the league. It's players like this and others who have done the same before him that force owners to pay them what they are worth. Meanwhile, nobody in the UFC (Except conor of course) have the nuts to make threats like this in their prime or band together like the NFL players did in 68, 70, 74, 82, 87, 2011, etc. And when a fighter does do it, fans who cry about fighter pay call him a coward, duck, etc. Silly mma fans.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tsburgh-steelers-sit-2018-retire-tagged-again
Hahaha He's not the best RB in the league, dumbass. You must be a Steelers fan.

Bell is just a diva.

His teammates and coaches are sick of him already.

He's not the best RB in the league.

He should had just signed his tender, balled out and got paid either by the Steelers or elsewhere.

I don't get the McGregor comparison.

Bell is just a diva.

His teammates and coaches are sick of him already.

He's not the best RB in the league.

He should had just signed his tender, balled out and got paid either by the Steelers or elsewhere.

I don't get the McGregor comparison.
And what if he got injured ? You are all ignoring the entire point of his holdout

This thread backfired like bell sitting out did.

No one supporting leveon bell. Hes asking for way too much money.
This. And only fucking himself more every week he sits out. Seriously, what team is going to pay a guy that kind of money who hasn't played a single down all season??

And what if he got injured ? You are all ignoring the entire point of his holdout
The point of his holdout is that he wants a huge contract. So if you want a huge contract, you gotta play for it. What, you think he's the only player out there playing with a risk of injury?

He's losing more potential money with this holdout than he would if he just played his ass off. You really think the Steelers are gonna shell out money for a player who's not focus on the team's success.

After this season, I would let him go. You have a good RB in Connors who works his ass off. Stick with him.

This thread backfired like bell sitting out did.
Except it didn't. UFC and their ppv sales was floundering until Conor came back and got what he asked for in addition to proper 12 ring placement and a title shot. Bell will now get a 60+mil guarantee next year with another team instead of yet another steelers franchise tag where a career ending injury would cost him upwards of 40 million lost

TLDR, the best running back in the league, in his prime, is threatening to sit out or retire if he gets franchise tagged again (basically a one year contract for 14.5 million guaranteed). His comments sound very conor-esque, joe. Fans of the Steelers are asking management to pay him what he's worth and other players agree he is doing the right thing to ask for a long term deal and paid as the best running back in the league. It's players like this and others who have done the same before him that force owners to pay them what they are worth. Meanwhile, nobody in the UFC (Except conor of course) have the nuts to make threats like this in their prime or band together like the NFL players did in 68, 70, 74, 82, 87, 2011, etc. And when a fighter does do it, fans who cry about fighter pay call him a coward, duck, etc. Silly mma fans.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tsburgh-steelers-sit-2018-retire-tagged-again
I can't speak for others, but I don't believe people were against Conor being paid whatever he got. Most Conor hate is Conor fans hate, though many, myself included, don't care for Conor. The reason Conor attacked a bus was because he knew he gets away with it. The UFC and his fans are the enablers.

With that said, don't pretend whatever Le'Veon and Conor make trickles down to the other players or fighters. The NFL has probably the weakest union of the major leagues in the USA and the NFL made it that. The Quarterback Club was created in the early 1990s to weaken the NFLPA.
The problem was NFL players wore helmets and they didn’t really register with the public. Joe Montana barely made top-ten lists of the country’s most popular sports stars. Athletes from other sports were much better known. To an extent, that’s how the NFL owners wanted it. The league wanted to promote the teams. If it promoted the athletes, they might get big heads and demand the salaries of Hollywood stars or even baseball players. To Vuono, that thinking was backward. If the league could get big companies to sign sponsorship deals with the league’s biggest stars, those companies would use those players to promote their products in commercials, which would serve as free advertising for the league. It also might leave the NFLPA without any money to fight its antitrust litigation.

To Tagliabue, a “quarterback club” represented another business opportunity that could solve a problem. The labor litigation looked like an albatross that would hang around the league’s neck for years. He also sensed the league’s case might be a loser. The league did operate as a cartel that thwarted competition between clubs and didn’t have an antitrust exemption. The sooner the players could be convinced to agree to a new collective bargaining agreement, the better off the league would be. Creating a business that might make some money for the owners while cutting the legs out from under the antitrust litigation looked like the ultimate win-win.

Steinberg, who claims to be the basis for the Jerry Maguire character in the 1996 movie, had little taste for the labor wars. An antiestablishment law student at Berkeley in the 1970s, he had evolved into a true friend of NFL management by the late 1980s. The idea of a “quarterback club” was music to Steinberg’s ears. Because he represented all those quarterbacks, he knew a disproportionate amount of the endorsements went to them and they were the star attractions of any group licensing deals. Mixing their rights with the other 1,500 or so players in the Players Association inevitably diluted their value. Steinberg saw Vuono as an ally.

There were quarterly meetings, golf outings, sportswear lines, and, of course, millions in sales of the league’s most popular jerseys, which was the best advertising the Quarterback Club and its members could receive.

“They set it up so that you could do whatever you wanted on your own but if there were three or more players involved from the club all the money would go to the Quarterback Club and then it would be divided among the group,” Demoff said. “The Players Association had nothing that was competitive.”
https://deadspin.com/how-nfl-quarterback-jersey-sales-nearly-destroyed-the-u-1773300860

This. And only fucking himself more every week he sits out. Seriously, what team is going to pay a guy that kind of money who hasn't played a single down all season??

You don't understand the NFL at all if you think he won't get paid big next year lol

Except it didn't. UFC and their ppv sales was floundering until Conor came back and got what he asked for in addition to proper 12 ring placement and a title shot. Bell will now get a 60+mil guarantee next year with another team instead of yet another steelers franchise tag where a career ending injury would cost him upwards of 40 million lost

Wait...did he report to the team today? Because if he didn't my understanding is that he does NOT get to count this season as an "active" season (for lack of a better word). Meaning it doesn't count toward him becoming a free agent. Essentially it's like he's pushed his final year under contract off until next year, costing himself an entire year of earning. At a position with an ultra short shelf life as it is.

If he reported he's all good, but today was the deadline I think. If he didnt...

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. I swear that was being talked about earlier this season, but now when I look it seems he will be a free agent this offseason. I have no clue how the collective bargaining agreement reads.

Last edited:
Lol@best RB in the league, James Conner is putting up better stats than Bell.

Bell is a moron, anyone that really knows about football will tell you that a RB is only as good as his O-line. Only outlier is Barry Sanders, he was an actual GOAT with a shitty line.

Lol@best RB in the league, James Conner is putting up better stats than Bell.

Bell is a moron, anyone that really knows about football will tell you that a RB is only as good as his O-line. Only outlier is Barry Sanders, he was an actual GOAT with a shitty line.

Marshall Faulk put up good #'s in Indy with a garbage O line. Granted he put up amazing #'s once he went to the Rams and they had a much better O line (and obviously more talented skill guys surrounding him).

Back