NFL Discussion v78: A match made in Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna drop the strong take and say that Jags made a good move. If everyone can play to the level they did last year, they're right there as favorites again, without having to shift money around or lose chemistry to MAYBE land Cousins. Bortles played some good football last year, just a matter of shoring up some weaknesses and not giving up 100 yards in penalties in a playoff game.

I'm gonna drop the strong take and say that Jags made a good move. If everyone can play to the level they did last year, they're right there as favorites again, without having to shift money around or lose chemistry to MAYBE land Cousins. Bortles played some good football last year, just a matter of shoring up some weaknesses and not giving up 100 yards in penalties in a playoff game.
He played in a kiddie offense and still sucked. They are now stuck with him for two more years. I don't think you should keep him just because you made a run with a historically good defense. It's the same logic people are using now that Foles won a SB. "You don't need a qb". Yes just get the best OL+DL combination in the league + everything else the eagles had going for them and you can be the 2017 eagles and punt on QB (not to mention Wentz playing at a MVP level got them the one seed )

If you had to name a team MVP outside of the CBs, it would be Calias and he will be 32 at the start of the league year. There are plenty of QB options that would have helped their chances (shit Alex Smith is Blake Bortles on PEDs)

Basically, when the haha were the first team this year to kneel it out with 55 seconds and 2 TOs at the end of the half, they showed they don't trust Blake as their QB. he should have been done as their QB at that moment IMO

Bortles isnt even on the same planet as Smith

He played in a kiddie offense and still sucked.
That was going to be my point. Looked like they really had to limit their offensive options with him at QB. It is a very depressing feeling when your team has a championship caliber defense and a soft cock offense.

That was going to be my point. Looked like they really had to limit their offensive options with him at QB. It is a very depressing feeling when your team has a championship caliber defense and a soft cock offense.
Jax was the 6th ranked offense in the league. 2 teams had more points per game.

Bortles isnt even on the same planet as Smith
It's really adorable when you try to argue about Alex Smith with me. You see him a few times a year now that he is successful, I lived that mother fucker for 7 years.

And context on Jags being #6 offense based on scoring. Defensive points, field position, TOP based on defense, possessions, etc.

Jags are going to regress next year. They overachieved in an injury devastated division.

Jax was the 6th ranked offense in the league. 2 teams had more points per game.
So you would want that O with Bortles? When it mattered they had to limit the plays they could use and they couldn't score.

It's really adorable when you try to argue about Alex Smith with me. You see him a few times a year now that he is successful, I lived that mother fucker for 7 years.

And context on Jags being #6 offense based on scoring. Defensive points, field position, TOP based on defense, possessions, etc.
Its really adorable how you pretend that Alex Smith’s roller coaster of shitty personnel changes year in and year out is relevant to how well hes played for several years now.

Whats your excuse for their extremely high YPG then?
So you would want that O with Bortles? When it mattered they had to limit the plays they could use and they couldn't score.
Dont want Bortles and wouldnt put my franchise in his hands. I think hes a can.

You said their offense was soft cock. That soft cock offense was one of the best in the league.

That soft cock offense put up a good show against a great team. You can say they “couldnt score when it mattered”, but you can also say that defense didnt make a stop when it mattered as well.

Btw, Smith was with KC nearly as long as he was with SF.

Not exactly a short evaluation period here. Hes been good. Exceptionally good last year.

Btw, Smith was with KC nearly as long as he was with SF.

Not exactly a short evaluation period here. Hes been good. Exceptionally good last year.
I'll post Alex's first 5 years next to Blake's. Point being, Jags are trying to do the same thing with him, just don't turn it over. That was Smith's job the first year with Harbs. He's a solid QB now, he was lolbad for 5+ years though. A stadium legit chanted for David Carr to come in during a game, think about that.

Bortles is the best. Won my fantasy chip because of him. Lol

LOL @ Bortles

Jacksonville just showing their hand on low expectations. Bortles derping his way through a divisional win was basically the equivalent of Flacco GOATing to a Super Bowl win for them.

Jags options, sigh bortles for cheap and keep the team together and with the contract, bortles is playing to get paid more and if he sucks, jags can move on and not get hit with much cap issue (QB market will be there)

Sign cousins for a lot of money and blow your chance at keeping the defense because all the money went to cousins

Risk it and draft a qb

Jags options, sigh bortles for cheap and keep the team together and with the contract, bortles is playing to get paid more and if he sucks, jags can move on and not get hit with much cap issue (QB market will be there)

Sign cousins for a lot of money and blow your chance at keeping the defense because all the money went to cousins

Risk it and draft a qb
I agree with your logix, but - this should be the year they can afford to pay more while everyone is young and cheap. They structured the deal so that it's more expensive later. The cap hit is 10 mil this year, it's 21 mil next year with 16.5 mil in dead money if they cut him (so they are stuck with him). They shouldn't be pushing the higher cap numbers into the future yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back