NFL bans kneeling for anthem in 2018 season

Thanks for that correction, didn't follow the story too closely.

You feel that way but many on the right were up in arms over it.
ok. we're square. i would say he fell for the bait though. they never want your opinion unless it's kissing ass. don't offfer

Are you paying attention? You're making this go in circles. I said we've discussed similar situations like this here where someone said something right wingers supported and was reprimanded by their employer and people here said it was impeding freedom of speech. Yet those same people are supporting the NFL in this case. That is hypocrisy.

For the record I think companies have a right to regulate anything that affects their ability to do business or generate revenue including speech.
if they say it on the clock it's on them. if they tweet it or say it on youtube, firing them is bullshit. that's not the kind of world we want.

ok. we're square. i would say he fell for the bait though. they never want your opinion unless it's kissing ass. don't offfer
Its one of those cases where when they ask for your opinion they really mean they want you to repeat their opinion in your own words.

Its one of those cases where when they ask for your opinion they really mean they want you to repeat their opinion in your own words.
yup. hate those things. sat through a diversity one last week.

I don't care what it does or doesn't do, as you said it's my choice and it's my only voice in the matter, so I'm out.
As are many others. And almost everyone has said they actually find more productive ways to spend what might have been considerable time dedicated to viewing/attending.
They are bleeding badly from this financially and it's not going to get better. Attendance, concessions, merchandise sales all suffering and it is really starting to hurt the NFL.
I freely admit I still played fantasy football last year and plan to this year. I've been in the same league since 1995, but I'm typically strong and last year was hard without having been watching. I did "OK", but...
If it can't be done, this will be my last year, I guess. I'm trying to play via stats alone and my eyes/watching games have/has always weighed heavily in my picks, so we'll see.

But if they fold, they fold. I'm good with that.

Jesus you're cringe as fuuuuck.

Which is why there's no real debate here. People have no right to use their employer and company time as a platform for their political demonstrations.

I am playing a lot of devils advocate in this thread, as I kind of lean the “company time” angle but also see a great overreach of corporations with massive power stifling free speech more than the government could ever dream of but a question to you:

Do you feel an employer should legally be allowed to require you to stand for the national anthem as terms of your employment?

Do you feel an employer should legally be allowed to require you to stand for the national anthem as terms of your employment?

Any other job where a person is in a uniform it is a requirement. I know it was a requirement for me to stand and salute while I was in the army. If anything it just boils down to professionalism. As long as they're on the clock I don't see a problem with it.

As dumb as it may be they don't have to work there if they don't like or agree with it. Walmart Employees are required to do some stupid cheer everyday prior to the morning shift. I know I would rather stand for the national anthem than do this shit.

I am playing a lot of devils advocate in this thread, as I kind of lean the “company time” angle but also see a great overreach of corporations with massive power stifling free speech more than the government could ever dream of but a question to you:

The national anthem should just be eliminated from sports. It’s not like people pay attention to it anyways.

Yeah I didn't put together two completely separate things that have no bearing on each other. His twitter blocking legality has nothing to do with a private company making a policy/rule about standing/kneelinh. They are free to voice their opinion about oppression or whatever each was kneeling for at literally any other time. Especially on twitter and they can even @ potus without being blocked ;).

I applaud your obtuse misinterpretation good sir..

Go on..

Korea..

This is gonna be big..!!

Everyone is saying, BIG!!

But it might not happen... We'll see.

....BIG!!

i watched about 20 seconds from Michelle beadle ranting on this. it was from my facebook. she was pissed off about it and said something about "maybe the fans need to be educated about the issues." no bitch they don't. i watch football to watch football. i dont watch it to get "educated" on social issues. this all just baffles me.

they talk about collusion when it comes to kaepernick and eric reid not being on teams. and we get these pundits saying it is ridiculous kaepernick is not on a team. why is that? it is simple

the nfl is a business. teams want to make money. colin kaepernick is not good for business. and why would you get a backup qb on your team that is bad for business? how is that collusion? eric reid refused to say he would not kneel for the anthem. so any possible employer would be stupid to take a guy who is a good player but is bad for business.

espn and all these other shows have their people trying to tell us why they should be playing. of course they want them playing because that gives them more shit to talk about. you know who doesn't want to talk about whether or not kaepernick is going to kneel for the anthem? the starting qb.

REPORTER: "hey, aaron rodgers, you threw for 400 yards today with 3 touchdowns. were you surprised that kaepernick kneeled during the anthem?"

th
funny how Trump always wins

1. I feel like enforcing speech or expression is in some ways worse than prohibiting speech. I think the NFL made a good compromise whereby players don't have to stand for the anthem, but aren't allowed to publicly protest the anthem prior to games.

2. I agree that businesses might have too much sway over their employee's speech. Perhaps companies should have to show cause for limiting particular kinds of speech; certain kinds of speech can be shown to be bad for business, so they can reasonably be regulated by the company.

3. It's worth mentioning that the speech in question in the NFL's case is political speech, which I think is high on the list of speech that is important to protect.

I've been saying this for years. It's sad as hell what they are doing to football. They also need to realize that every time they upgrade helmet capabilities, it's just making dudes feel more like a tank.

The helmet rule I was referring to is the new rule that that you can't lower your helmet to make contact. If they enforce this rule on the offensive and defensive line, football will not be the same game.

NFL can eat a dick lol, they'll be gone in 20-30 years anyways, what with people figuring out that CTE isn't worth it and preventing their kids from ever training the stupid sport to begin with

^This. Along with the UFC, Bellator, MMA, etc.

Back