new pro football league starting for 18-21 yr olds.

Anything that incentivizes young adults to not be developing themselves in either a classroom or with a skill set that has a high probability of translating into long-term employment is bad. Incentivizing them to leave school to pursue a pipe dream that is professional sports is not a good thing for society at all.

classrooms cost money because it is such a rip-off. Now these kids have money, instead of going into debt to finance said rip-off, to finance said rip-off debt free.

That's interesting. I don't see it lasting, but I hope it's successful. There's got to be a ton of spots in college classrooms taken up by football players who don't want to be there and are gifted the grades to continue playing.
I had a calculus class with two football players. One went on to play with the Niners. The other guy asked the GSI if we would need to know this. The GSI looked a little perplexed and said yes. Then he said what he meant is will this be on the test. The GSI looked a little more perplexed and again said yes. God bless that football player; he was a cool dude. lol

Out of business in under 3 years. Might as well bring back the xfl

Unless they become affiliates of NFL teams, like the NHL has with AHL and ECHL. Then it will be a real minor league.

They should make this new league play without equipment. That will take out the nasty hits. Safer for the children.

They might be better off taking a real shot at community/JuCo

classrooms cost money because it is such a rip-off. Now these kids have money, instead of going into debt to finance said rip-off, to finance said rip-off debt free.
Actually, I think I am changing my mind. The NCAA ends up making most major schools lose money. Yes, most SEC, Big Ten, Big East, etc. lose money on their football programs. If these kids are going to put all their eggs into the football basket, then they deserve whatever happens when it blows up in their faces. And if that means that a couple of dummies aren't getting accepted into good schools so that they can be gifted passing grades for Communications degrees over other smarter candidates, then so be it.

There are plenty of semi pro leagues out there already.

Excuse my ignorance but why cant they go pro at 18 anyway ?

got to be out of High School for 3yrs beforw you can be drafted to the NFL. So a player would need to be have graduated at 15 if theys wants to drafted at 18.

got to be out of High School for 3yrs beforw you can be drafted to the NFL. So a player would need to be have graduated at 15 if theys wants to drafted at 18.

what the hell.

No other Sport does that. Dudes get drafted for the AFL at 18, same goes for Soccer.

Saw on ESPN today they are starting a new Pro football league for 18-21 yr olds. Do you think this will take away from colleges if these athletes can get paid?? They said this league would be for those who academically cant get into college and for those without scholarships. Colleges are set up for those who will not make the pros to have a college degree to fall back on. with the new league if your not drafted you have no education to better your life. Thoughts.

Isn't the Arena League kind of like that?

Thank God. Time to stop the sham.

I'd love to see them succeed and destroy the collegiate athletics scam.

Unfortunately, college football has a massive head start advantage in finances and brand awareness, so I'm not too optimistic.
However, if this new league didn't just limit themselves to academic ineligibles and took in kids who also don't plan to stay 4 yrs anyway, those who don't give a fuck about academics, and those who just want a little money...maybe they'd bump their slim chance up a little.

Unless they become affiliates of NFL teams, like the NHL has with AHL and ECHL. Then it will be a real minor league.

They should make this new league play without equipment. That will take out the nasty hits. Safer for the children.

You're welcome.

In the current system, a lot of these guys go to community colleges first and then transfer to bigger schools. I guess a lot of those guys could now do this instead, or maybe some guys who were overlooked for scholarships could maybe tryout and get accepted if good enough. Aaron Rodgers actually started out at a community college because he couldn't get a scholarship out of high school. Malcolm Butler also started out at community college and then played division 2. You've actually got a decent amount of current NFL players not only coming out of community colleges, or division 2 teams, but just West Alabama alone has over half a dozen current NFL players including Butler himself and Tyreek Hill.

Back