Namajunas: I won’t accept third Joanna fight unless she publicly says I’m the best

I agree with most of your post but what exactly did Rose do to deserve the shot? I have no problem with her getting one but feel she got it more because Joanna had beaten everyone else than anything Rose did. Rose lost to Karolina and was coming off wins over Waterson and before Karolina, Page VanZant. Whether you believe in rankings or not, no one is going to put Waterson or Vanzant at the top of any rankings

I like Rose and she toally deserves to be champion now. She dismantled JJ. Still, there's no doubt in my mind she got the special UFC matchmaking reserved for fighters they look to hype. She hasn't fought a single wrestler in the division since losing the TUF final to Esparza. No Andrade, no Gadelha, no rematch with Esparza. Not even fights against lesser wrestlers like Markos or Herrig. She may very well be able to beat them all but it would be nice to see her fight someone like that. I don't care to see another JJ rematch right now for sure.
She was the best of who was available and hadn't fought for the title.

Your use of the word "Deserve" is out of context.

What did Garbrandt do before he fought Cruz? What did Dillashaw do before he fought Barao?

Even Jones only had one top 10 fight before he fought for the title.

I read your other posts after I replied. I think the only disagreement is on using the word "deserved". Rose got her shot more because of process of elimination. I do think she got preferential matchups that helped her a lot but she made the most of it so I can't really fault her. I just want to see her fight someone else now who has a different style
None of her fights were "preferential". They all made sense.

Yes, context matters but you refuse to see any. Gadelha was still ranked #1 behind JJ at the time as she says right there in her quote. She knew another fight with JJ wasn't in the cards so soon so called out Rose. A fight with Gadelha would have easily made Rose the #1 contender. Rose ducked the callout and called out Waterson instead.

Look, If you think wins over Waterson and VanZant earned Rose a title shot then fine. I think she backed in to one by process of elimination. She didn't want to fight someone who would have made her the #1 contender. It worked out for her because that's how the UFC works.
We hear what you are saying.

But Namajunas don't make fights. Gadelha can call her out until she is blue in the face. And it doesn't matter if Gadelha was number one contender. A lost to her does nothing for the UFC. Since this is a business the UFC is going to make the fight. Fitch was number contender for 3 years after he lost to GSP. How many title fights did he get?

The UFC didn't want that fight. They wanted Namajunas vs Waterson. For many reasons, but these in particular:

1. Neither had lost to JJ. Gadelha did twice.
2. Waterson and Namajunas are pretty women who can be promoted.
3. Both had finishes over VanZant in high profile fights.
4. A third title fight between JJ and Gadelha is not a fight the UFC wanted.

She didn't deserve. She did nothing to get this title shot, was on 1 win streak. JJ cleared division and that was it. Tecia got better win streak than Rose.
Not first time not last time, but usually when you avoid top of division to get title shot you will get dethroned very quickly or you will have to duck a lot (Cody, Bisping, Holly)
How did Garbrandt or Holm "duck" anyone?

People, who makes the fights? It's not the fighters. Garbrandt beat Mizugaki and told Dana I'm fighting for the title and Dana said "yes, sir". That didn't happen.

We hear what you are saying.

But Namajunas don't make fights. Gadelha can call her out until she is blue in the face. And it doesn't matter if Gadelha was number one contender. A lost to her does nothing for the UFC. Since this is a business the UFC is going to make the fight. Fitch was number contender for 3 years after he lost to GSP. How many title fights did he get?

The UFC didn't want that fight. They wanted Namajunas vs Waterson. For many reasons, but these in particular:

1. Neither had lost to JJ. Gadelha did twice.
2. Waterson and Namajunas are pretty women who can be promoted.
3. Both had finishes over VanZant in high profile fights.
4. A third title fight between JJ and Gadelha is not a fight the UFC wanted.

I get what you're saying too but you're making one of my points for me. That is Rose got extremely preferential matchmaking from the UFC because they wanted to promote her over other girls. She hasn't had to fight a single wrestler since losing the original TUF final to Esparza.. She didn't so much earn a title shot as get one by process of elimination. Like I said, she made the most of it and she deserves to be champion but if they give her someone like Torres (should Torres beat JJ) as a title defense over Andrade, I think it will be a farce.

I said in my initial post in the thread that Rose shouldn't have to fight JJ again for a long time. JJ doesn't deserve another rematch. I want to see how Rose will match up with the wrestlers not people she's already fought. Wrestling was her weakness against Esparza. I want to see if she's improved her whole game so she really is the best or if she was just a stylistic nightmare for Joanna.

Last edited:
He is saying Namajunas hand-picked Waterson instead of fighting Claudia Gadelha. As if Namajunas can make her own fights.

Fighters do all the time when they have the ear of the promotion. Bisping got Hendo and GSP. Hell, Conor gets Dana to kneel and fondle his balls for him.

Gadelha called out Rose. Rose said nah, I'm gonna call out the girl who used to be an atom weight. Who got their way? This cherrypicking of fights and the UFC letting people get away with it is getting out of control.

Rose said she was calling out Waterson instead of Gadelha beause Waterson was more marketable. The fight took place on UFC on Fox 24 with DJ vs Reis headlining.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/18/15349742/ufc-on-fox-24-main-event-peaks-at-2-9-million-viewers
The final number barely beat out the Aug. 27 show headlined by Demian Maia vs. Carlos Condit for the least-watched FOX prime time show in the five-and-a-half year history of the relationship. UFC on FOX 21 did a 1.2 rating and averaged 1,983,000 viewers. But that comparison is misleading because the show aired either on tape delay or on another station in 15 major markets which instead aired preseason football, making Saturday's show the lowest number with full FOX national coverage.

Last edited:
Good for her. First it was the weight cut, then it was the judges. Joanna needs to accept the reality that Rose is better. Period.

how is rose better when she should have lost the 2nd fight? just cus 2 old people think rose won doesnt mean she should have.

Fighters do all the time when they have the ear of the promotion. Bisping got Hendo and GSP. Hell, Conor gets Dana to kneel and fondle his balls for him.

Gadelha called out Rose. Rose said nah, I'm gonna call out the girl who used to be an atom weight. Who got their way? This cherrypicking of fights and the UFC letting people get away with it is getting out of control.

Rose said she was calling out Waterson instead of Gadelha beause Waterson was more marketable. The fight took place on UFC on Fox 24 with DJ vs Reis headlining.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/18/15349742/ufc-on-fox-24-main-event-peaks-at-2-9-million-viewers
The final number barely beat out the Aug. 27 show headlined by Demian Maia vs. Carlos Condit for the least-watched FOX prime time show in the five-and-a-half year history of the relationship. UFC on FOX 21 did a 1.2 rating and averaged 1,983,000 viewers. But that comparison is misleading because the show aired either on tape delay or on another station in 15 major markets which instead aired preseason football, making Saturday's show the lowest number with full FOX national coverage.
Yes, fighters call each other out all the time. And bigger names may have more say than others. But who has the final say?

Bader made a full of himself trying to get the DC fight and Gustafsson got it. It took Dillashaw a year and 2 fights to get a title shot. And he only got it because Cruz didn't want to do TUF.

Btw, Bisping didn't call out Henderson or ask for it. The UFC did. The UFC offered him the fight and he took. I don't even like Bisping but there is no way that he is a coward.

And Mcgregor is a different story. Don't compare what he is able to do with the vast majority of other fighters.

Gadelha can call out Namajunas. But it is not her deciision. It is the UFC's. They wanted Namajunas vs Waterson for number one contender fight. They were pushing that as an angle to the fight. Gadelha had lost twice. She wasn't getting a fight against a new challenge for the SW title.

You posting the ratings only proves that Gadelha wasn't getting another title fight. And again, Namajunas can't make her own fights. If the UFC wanted her against Gadelha for a title shot then that was going to happen or someone else would be fighting for the title.

But let's use your theory. Gadelha calls out Namajunas and Namajunas accepts. Then (most importantly) the UFC makes the fight. And Gadelha wins. Do you think the UFC would do Gadelha vs JJ for the third time?

Absolutely not.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying too but you're making one of my points for me. That is Rose got extremely preferential matchmaking from the UFC because they wanted to promote her over other girls. She hasn't had to fight a single wrestler since losing the original TUF final to Esparza.. She didn't so much earn a title shot as get one by process of elimination. Like I said, she made the most of it and she deserves to be champion but if they give her someone like Torres (should Torres beat JJ) as a title defense over Andrade, I think it will be a farce.

I said in my initial post in the thread that Rose shouldn't have to fight JJ again for a long time. JJ doesn't deserve another rematch. I want to see how Rose will match up with the wrestlers not people she's already fought. Wrestling was her weakness against Esparza. I want to see if she's improved her whole game so she really is the best or if she was just a stylistic nightmare for Joanna.
It's not a conspiracy. The UFC isn't purposefully avoiding fights for her.

Besides, how did Letourneau "earn" a title shot. She had two fights at SW and none were top 10. How did Jessica Penne "earn" a title shot? She technically only had one fight at SW.

"Deserves" has nothing to do with anything. Gustafsson lost to Rumble then got a title shot. GSP took 4 years off and got a title shot in a weight class that he never fought.

The UFC makes the fights. You continously blame fighters for decisions that they don't make. Sure some have more say than others, but the final decision lies with the UFC.

As I said, if the UFC wanted Namajunas/Gadelha then that fight would have been made. Rose doesn't have that kind of pull.

You want to see if she improved her wrestling. Fine! How many top 15 SWs are "wrestlers"? 3, maybe.

And you can't look at fights in hindsight and say that these fights make more sense. Look at it at the time.

Last edited:
Why would JJ say that?? Its not even true. Rose is the champ but doesnt mean shes the best in the division, it just means shes better than JJ, perhaps admit Rose is better than her. JJ has two losses to Rose, but she's got wins over Andrade, Claudia 2x and KK who are all top contenders, and soon to be Torres

She was the best of who was available and hadn't fought for the title.

Your use of the word "Deserve" is out of context.

What did Garbrandt do before he fought Cruz? What did Dillashaw do before he fought Barao?

Even Jones only had one top 10 fight before he fought for the title.

Garbrabndt and Jones at least had win streaks going. Rose had one in almost 2 years.

how is rose better when she should have lost the 2nd fight? just cus 2 old people think rose won doesnt mean she should have.
Yes of course she should've lost the second fight because some idiot on this forum thinks she should've despite every judge (not just 2), majority of the media outlets, and majority of the fans, even Joanna's, agreeing that Rose won.

But of course Joanna is better for tapping out in the first.

Are you normally this daft, or do you just try harder on the forums?

Last edited:
It's not a conspiracy. The UFC isn't purposefully avoiding fights for her.

You have no way to know that any more than I do. The fact you agree the UFC promotes people differently is evidence they do give preferential matchmaking.

Besides, how did Letourneau "earn" a title shot. She had two fights at SW and none were top 10. How did Jessica Penne "earn" a title shot? She technically only had one fight at SW.

So because other girls didn't deserve title shots either, that's somehow a defense of Rose? They at least had 4 and 2-fight streaks, something Rose didn't. Plus the division was brand new, they were older, more established fighters at the time.

"Deserves" has nothing to do with anything. Gustafsson lost to Rumble then got a title shot. GSP took 4 years off and got a title shot in a weight class that he never fought.

You're actually agreeing with me again here. This is part of the UFC circus.. Even fighters have talked about it.. Hell, Covington has created a whole fake persona because he saw that's what he needed to do. The fact you agree the UFC does this makes it baffling that you don't believe they give fighters they want to promote preferential matchmaking.

You want to see if she improved her wrestling. Fine! How many top 15 SWs are "wrestlers"? 3, maybe.

LOL you make it sound outrageous to want to see her beat some of the top fighters JJ did.

You're nuts if you only see 3 excellent wrestlers in the top 15. Some have excellent wrestling along with bjj. Top 10 who predominantly use wrestling:. Andrade, Gadelha, Esparza, Herrig, Suarez and Markos if she's still top 10 but she's definitely top 15. You could have put Calvillo in that group as well till she got suspended.

So because other girls didn't deserve title shots either, that's somehow a defense of Rose? They at least had 4 and 2-fight streaks, something Rose didn't. Plus the division was brand new, they were older, more established fighters at the time.
Do tell, who should Joanna have fought instead of Namajunas? I'll wait ;).

I literally had to check whether the second fight had already happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back