My first day at Alliance - ATL

We started out the class with judo drills. A lot of them. 60-80 entrances quickly, every ten ending with squatting your training partner ten times.

Judo entrances, as in uchikomi? What throws?

Awesome, thanks for the update, it was a good read. Cool to read about the private lesson and the pan-ams training.

curious..where does your gi cause the abrasion you speak of? Back of the neck?

hey Hillary do you have a relative in Adelaide, Australia?

Good read BTW

Judo entrances, as in uchikomi? What throws?

I'm really, really bad with judo throw names, but you'd do the quick set in, just getting your hips in the right place and you'd do it quickly. We'd do ten to one side, on the tenth you complete the throw but before you drop them to the ground you'd pick them up on your hips and do ten squats. Then repeat to the other side. We did 5 or so different throw entrances like that. I know seoi was one, and there was a cross collar seoi option as well, but I'm still clueless with the names. My bad. :redface:

curious..where does your gi cause the abrasion you speak of? Back of the neck?

This was the damnest thing. I've gotten some gi rash on my neck before but this COVERED my neck and went from my shoulders to my wrists as well and around my hips. It looked like a really bad sunburn with goosebumps in just a few places. I always travel with lightweight gis and they get wet and stay wet very easily. I think just being in a wet gi constantly for considerably longer classes than my body is used to and having it rub me caused it.

hey Hillary do you have a relative in Adelaide, Australia?

Good read BTW

I really, really doubt it. My family is Czech and small and from what I hear they've pretty much stuck in Europe or in the midwest and south of the US.

You should write an auto. I would buy it and I'm sure everyone else here would.

And the gym name should be Hill's Kitchen.

Awesome job Hillary, sounds like a crazy, but good time. You sign up for the Pan Ams yet? I didn't see your name on there.

Awesome job Hillary, sounds like a crazy, but good time. You sign up for the Pan Ams yet? I didn't see your name on there.

Yes, signed up last night. I just closed with Koral (according to the site, I'll be the only American sponsored by them) and so I was waiting to see if I was getting my entry fee covered or not. Either way I'm supppppper excited about the new sponsorship!

Yes, signed up last night. I just closed with Koral (according to the site, I'll be the only American sponsored by them) and so I was waiting to see if I was getting my entry fee covered or not. Either way I'm supppppper excited about the new sponsorship!

Nice choice! Koral (light) FTW, I guess.

Very exciting Hillary! Congrats!

Be sure to get video of your matches if at all possible. I'd like to see you laying down the law on them. :D

Thats an awesome sponsor, Koral Gis are my favorite/fit the best on me. Your gonna do well, we will be there cheering for you for sure.

Wow, awesome thread!!! Sounds like a wild time!

So it sounds like the private was worth the money?

Hillary have you ever fought Gisele Braga or any of the women in your open division?

Hillary have you ever fought Gisele Braga or any of the women in your open division?

Gisele and I competed twice (gi and nogi) when I was a blue belt and she was a brown. I won by flying armbar and guard pass.

Of absolute:
Competed against Gabrielle, got a throw but "won" (not really) because she was DQed. Nyjah Easton I beat with a guard pass when I was a blue, she a purple.

That being said, everyone has improved since we competed, anything can happen in a match, and this is sure to be the hardest competition I've ever been to. Nogi, to me, is easier because I'm very athletic. Gi is much more technically demanding IMO and I'm being thrown from purple belt to black belt competition. I'm going in with all guns blazing, knowing that this is going to be very hard.

Gisele and I competed twice (gi and nogi) when I was a blue belt and she was a brown. I won by flying armbar and guard pass.

Of absolute:
Competed against Gabrielle, got a throw but "won" (not really) because she was DQed. Nyjah Easton I beat with a guard pass when I was a blue, she a purple.

That being said, everyone has improved since we competed, anything can happen in a match, and this is sure to be the hardest competition I've ever been to. Nogi, to me, is easier because I'm very athletic. Gi is much more technically demanding IMO and I'm being thrown from purple belt to black belt competition. I'm going in with all guns blazing, knowing that this is going to be very hard.

True. Its a good thing that you have competed w/ a couple of these women; somewhat easing your nerves and adding a little mental confidence. They have gotten better but you know you have too. If anything it will be a great experience for sure, you will do awesome.

im planning on doing a private after pan ams with cobrinha..im just a blue belt in a gi, been in a gi 6months, just got the blue belt. I have been doin no gi for 8 years...im excited at a chance to work with cobrinha. I know hes years and years ahead of me, but i just want the chance to learn one on one from him. I will let you guys know how it goes...it is expensive, 250...but its what i belive a once in a life time chance for most people.
Good post hillary, i enjoy reading it

Back