My first day at Alliance - ATL

If you don't mind me asking.... who is your brother? By your description, I think, I know, but I'm not 100% sure.

When was the last time you trained there?

My brother's name is Jordan... big fucker. I've been training about a 1.5 years longer which is the only thing that saves me against him. I was back there over Christmas the last time. I was in DC (Yamasaki) and used to come down a decent amount to see family and train with them, but I just got moved to Shanghai for work last October and the commutes are ... a bit less convenient.

9-10 AM private with Cobrinha (in all logic, I don't have the money for it, but the way he's been teaching me here and there it will be worth it so I'll find a way)

Isn't it $250/hr. for lessons with him? Very jealous although I think I'd lean towards Moriarty because he's more my size and I'm not at a level where I think I could get my money's worth with Cobrinha... although it would be amazing to say I took a private lesson with him. Don't know how long he'll stay in ATL...

hey hill,
isn't there a roided up bodybuilding dominatirx chick blue belt training in atlanta alliance? how was she?

Hilary (or anybody else who trains there)...do you know whether the same techniques are taught at the noon class and the evening class? Or at least the same positions (i.e., mount, half guard, etc.)?

If I make it out there this summer, I would like to train both noon and night classes. But because my old bones would only let me roll and work hard at one class, the other class I would probably be limited to just warm up, drills, and technique. So if they teach the same concepts at both classes, that would be awesome as I'd get to learn it twice. But if it's different concepts, I might get brain overload and not retain much at all. =(~

Hilary (or anybody else who trains there)...do you know whether the same techniques are taught at the noon class and the evening class? Or at least the same positions (i.e., mount, half guard, etc.)?

The morning, noon, and evening classes have occasional overlap or common themes but there's no hard correlation. It varies depending on the competition schedule, things people have had problems with recently, and what Jacare had for breakfast that day. You can visit the Alliance blog and get a good sample.

Alliance BJJ

My brother's name is Jordan... big fucker.

I know who your brother is. We have at least three Jordans there now. He wasn't who I thought you were talking about at first.

Cheath, what EGDM said is correct. You will learn something new at every class. Occasionally, I'll hit 3 classes a day and I don't learn the same thing in any of them that day.
As for rolling and worried about getting injured, you can roll a few rounds in each class. Just let Jacare know when you've had enough and he'll sit you out. It normally works out pretty good since guys have to leave early to get back to work and such.

hey hill,
isn't there a roided up bodybuilding dominatirx chick blue belt training in atlanta alliance? how was she?

haha, yes that is the aforementioned sistersteel. i also wanted to know if hillary had the chance to roll with her, but it sounds like either sistersteel was absent that day, or hillary just doesn't want to talk about it...

btw in case you haven't seen it yet: MMA's worldwide leader in UFC news, gear and events

haha, yes that is the aforementioned sistersteel. i also wanted to know if hillary had the chance to roll with her, but it sounds like either sistersteel was absent that day, or hillary just doesn't want to talk about it...

btw in case you haven't seen it yet: MMA's worldwide leader in UFC news, gear and events

I did not like her posting pictures of her competing with an Alliance rashguard on her website.

I rolled with her, yes. She's pretty nice. She actually once benchpressed me single handed out of side control, which is scary as hell...

_________

Sunday morning I woke up with my muscles just killing me. No bananas or coconuts in site, I opted to hydrate as best as possible and get some egg whites in me. After five or six glasses and several eggs downed, Julia and I went to Alliance for a sort of spontaneous Sunday training. Cobrinha and three others were already there drilling and we hustled to catch up. As I mentioned earlier, shortly after Saturday training I figured out that I really, really need to work on open guard passing, particularly standing. Cobrinha showed us some passes and follow ups from when they have both feet on your hips, and I started to get his idea of bringing your knee between the legs to kill your opponent’s hips. 

Planning on chowing some sushi after the supplemental couple of hours drilling, Juc

His hair was flawless... haha

That sounds like such an awesome gym.

Awesome, thanks for sharing Hillary.

We are affiliated with Alliance as well and when they train for a comp, they mean business!

Hope I get to train with Cobrinha sometime soon. Too sad that he stops competing this year, but awesome for his students!

Ask him for some cake recipes!!

Great stuff Hilliary. When I attended a seminar with Rubens Charles we went over standing passes and like you said putting your knee in to nuetralize your opponents hips. It was a way of passing I wasnt familiar with but Cobrinha made it look so effective. I still havent had much luck with it myself but I am keeping it in mind so I can continue to work it and come back to it later when my other passes get better. Have you had much success with it yet?

Any more updates? How was the private??
You ever going to come up to Boston?

After Monday, I my poor skin just couldn’t handle any more gi work. As karma would have it, this would be the day that I would pack in the most time in my gi. The day got started at 9 AM, when in all its scary, intimidating-ness, I marked a private with Cobrinha. He started off asking my what I wanted to work on and my brain nearly exploded. We needed to narrow that question down.

Based on my need and Cobrinha’s assessment from the night before, we opted for passing spider guard. He completely broke down by base, posture, and grip breaking in a way that was so magical. Suddenly, he only swept me on my head every once in a while instead of every time. He kept reminding me to breathe and relax, but I was nervous and frustrated. His patience with me and ability to pass instructions and details along is outstanding. We rolled for about ten to fifteen minutes afterward, and Cobrinha is a mythical creature, I’m convinced. He was correcting little things here and there, and at one point said that my little mistakes were letting him pass my guard “like water.” Water. Not butter, this dude lowered the viscosity to water. Not fair. I could feel immediate improvement standing passing, although as he said, “You have some homework to do.”

I rested about an hour as the noon class participants began to trickle in. These guys come into the gym with their game faces already on. Noon class began with judo entrances and then Cobrinha covered how to kill the deep half guard. My partner was Jordan (the bow and arrow choker) and he is a very, very intense individual. He kept me working hard for everything and really pushed a competitive environment. We did a lot of specific training from the deep half guard. That underhook is just ever so annoying but you’ve got to walk before you run. By the end of noon class (which suspiciously actually ends at about 2:30-3:00) my neck and arms were burning from the gi burns growing and I opted out of the final roll.

A quick stop by Whole Foods (delicious overpriced salads) and Julia and headed back to the house for a whole of one hour rest. I had to rush back to the gym and teach a private to one of the newer female students before the night classes got in full swing. We went over some basic details to allow her to get closer to the ultimate white belt goal: survive. It’s interesting to teach privates to different kinds of people, forcing me to work outside of the small set of techniques I’ve chosen for my own game. I have to adjust the position for different body types, forcing me to really understand the mechanics.

I was hurting. Badly. But just one last class, and I had to get through it. Jacar

Great write up, Hillary. Keep living the dream!

Back