Muay Thai kicks ineffective in MMA?

Ah, the new age. Yeah, I remember the "Machida era." Much like with McGregor, his style was supposed to revolutionize the sport. That lasted about one fight before his new age style was largely bettered by the guy who was considered over the hill, and the guy with a... Muay Thai style. And how'd the rematch go? Bye bye Machida era.

I guess the actual champion of the division and the guy who claims the #1 P4P spot by the UFC should be told his Muay Thai style is outdated. Yep.

Someone should have told Rafael Dos Anjos his Muay Thai style was silly and not a good idea for going against the new breed striking of Anthony Pettis. Uh-oh.

What's funny is for all this talk of "new age" striking, it's more Muay Thai stuff that is being utilized effectively. How many fighters are throwing elbows now compared to 5+ years ago? How big of a role does clinch striking play? Hell, Demetrius Johnson climbed a guy and threw an elbow down on him. In what sport do we see that? Fabricio Werdum and Rafael Dos Anjos are both champions because of improvements in striking, and are they doing it with Karate and Taekwondo? Nope. So what is it?

Pettis isn't the best example, he was way over hyped by the UFC. All those years of taekwondo and the only kick he can properly throw is a back leg round kick and he seems to lack flexibility. It doesn't make sense to me why his side kicks are pathetic when his background is in TKD.
I wonder what these TKD and karate fighters did during all those years of training when they can't throw anything other than a round kick, they might as well have trained in muay thai or dutch style.
Raymond Daniels is a perfect example, he spams back kicks so you figure he trains that kick a lot, yet he can throw one decent one for every 20 that he throws.
Why do all the top fighters fight differently nowadays? Its no secret the old school is better than what he have today. An old worn out Jerome Le Banner toyed with Tyrone Spong. An old worn out Peter Aerts arguable beat Rico Verhoeven, our current champion, who wouldn't be champion if Semmy schilt wasn't forced to retire.

As Faber already pointed out, McGregor was being taken down at will by Mendes. His kick talk is bullshit.

Bullshit. Watch the fight closely. McGOAT got taken down when he punched and when he threw a flying knee. NOT WHEN HE THREW KICKS.

TKD and Karate kicks are faster than MT kicks. They're like whips and the GOAT says "You can't catch a whip." You can't catch TKD & karate kicks! :D

Absolutely, yes. Everything about MT from the kicking to the atrocious flat-footed movement to the clinch game (ask Jon Jones what he thinks of MT's clinch game vs Greco-Roman's clinch game in regards to use in MMA). It's the single most overrated striking art by MMA fans and mostly this is due to the prominence of DUTCH stylists within MMA. No semi-successful "Muay Thai figher" in MMA has ever used traditional MT style, not once, ever. I've seen guys use traditional boxing and karate styles for their base but when it comes to striking arts MT (and maybe TKD) is probably the one that needs the most overhaul in order to be effective in MMA. Guys like Saenchai and the Lumpinee scrubs would get absolutely demolished in MMA and not just by wrestlers and grapplers but by other strikers. Look at what happened to Malaipet, he was an absolute can! (still god bless him for at least having the BALLS to step into the cage, not something most MT traditionalists would ever dare to do)

Apparently CK has converted someone from beyond the grave lol

TKD and Karate kicks aren't even the same. I see Karate kicks more like MT kicks actually. While Karate has more snapping, it still rely more on hip power, whereas TKD is primarily generated through snapping power.

Is there anyone in the UFC that is capable of throwing a decent muay thai kick by thai standards?

Absolutely, yes. Everything about MT from the kicking to the atrocious flat-footed movement to the clinch game (ask Jon Jones what he thinks of MT's clinch game vs Greco-Roman's clinch game in regards to use in MMA). It's the single most overrated striking art by MMA fans and mostly this is due to the prominence of DUTCH stylists within MMA. No semi-successful "Muay Thai figher" in MMA has ever used traditional MT style, not once, ever. I've seen guys use traditional boxing and karate styles for their base but when it comes to striking arts MT (and maybe TKD) is probably the one that needs the most overhaul in order to be effective in MMA. Guys like Saenchai and the Lumpinee scrubs would get absolutely demolished in MMA and not just by wrestlers and grapplers but by other strikers. Look at what happened to Malaipet, he was an absolute can! (still god bless him for at least having the BALLS to step into the cage, not something most MT traditionalists would ever dare to do)

So how does Rambaa Somdet fit into that world view?

Is there anyone in the UFC that is capable of throwing a decent muay thai kick by thai standards?

Shogun Rua did back in the day. He had the proper hip rotation and everything, obviously he's not the greatest kicker of all time or anything but certainly decent by Thai standards.

round3lyotocounter.gif

2ufynvd.gif

Last edited:
He is slightly right in a way, a Muay Thai roundhouse is a "push kick" however if you are getting your kicks caught regularly , you need to train for speed.

You dug up a 2015 Fighter Bashing troll thread started by someone who got banned to fighter bash...Mods please move this whole mess to the wasteland so no one else can do the same thing.

I agree TS, Muay Thai kicks are totally useless.

Except when you can kick hard.

bs-luke.gif

To be fair though, most fighters in the UFC can't kick hard enough, which often makes their kicks a weapon that can be safely ignored while catching or punching.

His campaign is sadly having a strong effect. A friend of mine recently signed up for a TKD class and when I asked him why he picked TKD specifically he said "because McGregor has proven its better than MT in a real fight." I listed off a bunch of MMA champs with MT backgrounds but he didnt seem deterred.

This is actually hilarious

A muay thai coach in Thailand, plus several Mauy Thai cpaches everywhere from Brazil to China to the UK. Its a pushing kick.
loool

Even when you teep they often tell you not to push, but rather strike like a spear. A round house kick is definitely not a pushing kick.

Back