Muay Thai: Dealing With the Peekaboo Boxer

Man, I miss Payak.

He taught me so much.

Some say Payak bar fined a 1 eyed Isan girl and never returned her........

Others say they disappeared deep into Isan and started having children to create a legendary line of Nak Muay........

There has been sightings as far as Laos.....

Did Mike Tyson kick? No.
Did Saenchai kick? Yes.
Who became world heavyweight champion?

F11 - 1
ARIZE - 0

Bullshit...Iron Mike would have been shook at the prospect of facing Saenchai after seeing what happened to Bowe.

Some say Payak bar fined a 1 eyed Isan girl and never returned her........

Others say they disappeared deep into Isan and started having children to create a legendary line of Nak Muay........

There has been sightings as far as Laos.....

More likely he's in Australia.

Jomhod beat his ass around the gym so badly he fled back to his native country.

This guy sounds like he's really good and maybe just playing with you. Peekaboo style is hard as shit . But also they're coming in very compact to take the leg kicks and then the teeps, will get blocked with their elbows....maybe breaking your toes, so most people would stop trying to teep. And he's taller, damn.

Is this hard sparring? Is he dropping you with the body shots?

As untechnical it may sound, I've found one of the best ones was: shove him, then leg kick. When they're off balanced going backwards its hard to check. Actually if you can get him backing up, you'll be able to land leg kicks nicely. Its very rare not to mention difficult for someone to be checking while backstepping.

I think you should be able to set up a nice headkick if he's bobbing frequently, even if it hits guard, its a pretty big deterrent. I'm guessing he's bobbing to the outside so switch head kick (left), then a cross, uppercut is a decent one.

Good advice! +1

A trick I like to use is instead of shoving the opponent (jamming up their guard) straight back, I like give them a push laterally and step to the opposite side (with my own lateral step) then throw the low kick. I.E: Pin there gloves up and use a "swimming" push on the outside of there shoulder towards the side your stepping off laterally towards and throw the low kick (the swinging arm on the low kick is the one that pushes them off laterally). by stepping out laterally (rear leg or as a switch) with my kick I can target either leg, body or head of my opponent and as soon as they turn back toward me I meet them with a spearing knee with the opposite leg the kick came from. It's difficult to articulate without a demonstration or video, but using the lateral step takes me off center and gives me enough space to transition into the knee while my opponent is still defensive

Good advice! +1

A trick I like to use is instead of shoving the opponent (jamming up their guard) straight back, I like give them a push laterally and step to the opposite side (with my own lateral step) then throw the low kick. I.E: Pin there gloves up and use a "swimming" push on the outside of there shoulder towards the side your stepping off laterally towards and throw the low kick (the swinging arm on the low kick is the one that pushes them off laterally). by stepping out laterally (rear leg or as a switch) with my kick I can target either leg, body or head of my opponent and as soon as they turn back toward me I meet them with a spearing knee with the opposite leg the kick came from. It's difficult to articulate without a demonstration or video, but using the lateral step takes me off center and gives me enough space to transition into the knee while my opponent is still defensive
If I'm getting it right, it sounds like you could dump your opponent from there as well, you're on a "T-bone" position so it could be there. I know, because one of our pros did that to me yesterday. lol

Another nice one is using a 3 -> low kick combo. The hook works as bs to push them to the side. It works nicely because after the bs hook-push, their weight is on their leg, so the leg kick is a freebie, not to mention you're loaded up so the kick is going to be heavy.

Another nice one is using a 3 -> low kick combo. The hook works as bs to push them to the side. It works nicely because after the bs hook-push, their weight is on their leg, so the leg kick is a freebie, not to mention you're loaded up so the kick is going to be heavy.

That's Dutch Kickboxing 101. Is so basic, that they often teach the fighter to automatically check after they receive a hook to the body, because they know 9 out of 10, a low is coming from the other side, for the reasons you mentioned...

If I'm getting it right, it sounds like you could dump your opponent from there as well, you're on a "T-bone" position so it could be there. I know, because one of our pros did that to me yesterday. lol

Yeah, it's just as natural a transition into a sweep as a kick (or a knee). With a sweep you'd just take a shorter lateral step and keep in closer to your opponent so you can get your hip into him to break his posture (twist and toss him) . Just depends on where your opponents weight is set and the distance between you and him.

That's Dutch Kickboxing 101. Is so basic, that they often teach the fighter to automatically check after they receive a hook to the body, because they know 9 out of 10, a low is coming from the other side, for the reasons you mentioned...

Yep, every gym I trained at in Holland incorporated lifting (checking) the lead leg when blocking the lead hook (the elbow and knee lift simultaneously when covering to defend the hook).

The "swim" move I was describing above is specifically done to address this and it's typically taught in Dutch gyms as a follow up to the lead hook when transitioning into the low kick. The idea is that when the opponent blocks the hook (checks simultaneously) it creates a short pause while they are on one leg blocking the hook, and that is when the rear arm (swing arm on the kick) presses/pushes them back down on the lead. If it's performed fluidly it actually drops them heavier on the lead leg then simply using the hook because they are falling onto the leg. Timed well the shin comes across the lead leg just as it drops back down. Alternatively, you can adjust how hard you press off and step laterally so that you can also throw the kick to the rear leg either around, under or through the check leg.

Here is a short clip I found doing some bag work that gives a visual reference (first clip at real speed, then slowed down). Notice the rear hand placement when the shin makes contact. Ideally, the lateral step and hook are done in unison. The hook is really just a distraction, a slap hook to pin the gloves up and "swim" the rear/swing arm over to transition into the kick.

As untechnical it may sound, I've found one of the best ones was: shove him, then leg kick.

The funny thing is, shoving is banned in many ringsports like boxing, and i think it's because of it's disproportionate effectiveness as a set-up.

Think about it: when you shove someone, even if they stay upright, you've still put them on the back foot, off balance, and unable to launch a retaliation if you then come in with a hard shot.

There once was a highly successful nak muay who became famous for pushing his opponents around the ring, so much so that he was even literally nicknamed The Plowman (and inadvertently getting it banned in muay thai too).

The funny thing is, shoving is banned in many ringsports like boxing, and i think it's because of it's disproportionate effectiveness as a set-up.

Think about it: when you shove someone, even if they stay upright, you've still put them on the back foot, off balance, and unable to launch a retaliation if you then come in with a hard shot.

There once was a highly successful nak muay who became famous for pushing his opponents around the ring, so much so that he was even literally nicknamed The Plowman (and inadvertently getting it banned in muay thai too).

lol, martial arts in general

"Hey lets ban these guy's techniques to prove we're better"

I've actually been trying out a shoving variation and its been working pretty well

push -> superman -> double leg

Saenchai would be so fun to spar with.

I had a chance (sort of) but didn't even try because I was cramping up. Well, probably had no chance in reality because the guy running the seminar was only picking guys from his own gym to spar him for the most part.

Shoving someone is illegal in Muay Thai? I had no idea. Kinda strange, considering it's been taught to me by various Thais as something to use in off-balancing people.

You talking a two armed shove or is a stiff armed push considered illegal as well?

Back