Muay Thai: Dealing With the Peekaboo Boxer

Uchi Mata

Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks
@Gold
Reaction score
So I've recently had the chance to start sparring with some pro MMA fighters, one of whom is also a pro boxer. He basically plays a peekaboo style getting very close with a tight guard and just punishing me to the body. My initial thought was to try to control his hands and throw knees and potentially enter the clinch, and that works okay, but because his hands are in tight on the high guard it's very difficult to get bicep control and prevent him from getting in body hooks while I'm trying to clinch. My next thought was trying to use the long guard and circle out, that proved to be a pretty bad idea as he's a little taller than me and the long guard basically just meant my body was totally open on one side which quickly got nailed. Looking for thoughts on how to deal with this style. Knees to the body are fine for this sparring session, no knees to the head or elbows.

So I've recently had the chance to start sparring with some pro MMA fighters, one of whom is also a pro boxer. He basically plays a peekaboo style getting very close with a tight guard and just punishing me to the body. My initial thought was to try to control his hands and throw knees and potentially enter the clinch, and that works okay, but because his hands are in tight on the high guard it's very difficult to get bicep control and prevent him from getting in body hooks while I'm trying to clinch. My next thought was trying to use the long guard and circle out, that proved to be a pretty bad idea as he's a little taller than me and the long guard basically just meant my body was totally open on one side which quickly got nailed. Looking for thoughts on how to deal with this style. Knees to the body are fine for this sparring session, no knees to the head or elbows.

Is his stance more "peekaboo" boxer or a more dutch KB type? I'm guessing its a forward lead leg heavy 80:20 weight ratio type stance.

If your clinch is tight, the body hooks wouldn't do that much damage at that distance, about the mid range is when he can work. I'm not sure if you're doing it already, but enter the clinch with a long knee rather than just stepping in. A good pattern is usually: long knee -> get a grip (double or single collar) -> turn ASAP to keep him of balance, then work from there.

Long knees will work well, but you'll need to keep good form on them, he's obviously going to trade everything for hands and without a good lean back you'll be in range for nasty crosses

Is his stance more "peekaboo" boxer or a more dutch KB type? I'm guessing its a forward lead leg heavy 80:20 weight ratio type stance.

If your clinch is tight, the body hooks wouldn't do that much damage at that distance, about the mid range is when he can work. I'm not sure if you're doing it already, but enter the clinch with a long knee rather than just stepping in. A good pattern is usually: long knee -> get a grip (double or single collar) -> turn ASAP to keep him of balance, then work from there.

Long knees will work well, but you'll need to keep good form on them, he's obviously going to trade everything for hands and without a good lean back you'll be in range for nasty crosses

Pretty much straight boxing, though he does have a good MT background as well. The long knee entry makes sense, I'll give that a shot. What he's generally doing is coming in behind the jab throwing it and then immediately bobbing in with a tight guard to work inside. Definitely I also need to turn him more, even when I got the clinch I was being lazy with moving him around and it let him posture up and recover. Someone on Reddit suggested that leg kicks would be a good idea, and that made sense as well especially exiting the clinch since I think checking will be hard for him with so much weight on his front leg when he's pocket boxing.

Pretty much straight boxing, though he does have a good MT background as well. The long knee entry makes sense, I'll give that a shot. What he's generally doing is coming in behind the jab throwing it and then immediately bobbing in with a tight guard to work inside. Definitely I also need to turn him more, even when I got the clinch I was being lazy with moving him around and it let him posture up and recover. Someone on Reddit suggested that leg kicks would be a good idea, and that made sense as well especially exiting the clinch since I think checking will be hard for him with so much weight on his front leg when he's pocket boxing.

Teep and punish his guard with kicks.........you can work range too...

Too bad that elbows are not allowed, cause it's the best answer to body hooks in the clinch. Like j123 said, if you keep him close, and off balance, it will be hard for him to have good power on them.

From a distance, keep teeping his gloves when they are glued to his face.You may not do a lot of damage, but it will stop his momentum, will be concerned to use a long jab, and it's mostly safe for you from grabs.

When his is pushing forward to enter, meet him with piercing knees, and go to the clinch immediately. Don't stay in the punching range, specially since you don't have elbows.

If he is bobbing and weaving, that means he is heavy on his feet, specially the front one, so blast away low kicks.

Heavy roundhouse to do damage to his arms, to take away power from his punches, and be hesitant to open for a strike.

And again, understand your distances, and where you have advantages. Outside the punching range, and inside the clinch you should not be lazy, you got to punish him for getting close...

I'm not a pro fighter, but imo... You have to be proactive about it and not let him walk you down in the tiny thaiboxing ring. That means move around and get him to follow you - kick him when he does and can't check them. Feint head punches as you move to keep his vision stuck behind his high guard, mixing in real punches. Throw for speed with these, not power. You want to glue his guard up high with these punches so you can: 1) throw fake punches or check his hands and then kick him, 2) make him try to punch you back. When he does, you fire a counter kick to his body aiming to get your shin across his liver or solar plexus. When he gets you near the ropes, kick into his guard and don't bother to pull your leg back - just crash into him with the kick and spin him around or push off to a new angle. Try to set up a turning back kick to the body without giving it away immediately.

Last edited:
As untechnical it may sound, I've found one of the best ones was: shove him, then leg kick. When they're off balanced going backwards its hard to check. Actually if you can get him backing up, you'll be able to land leg kicks nicely. Its very rare not to mention difficult for someone to be checking while backstepping.

I think you should be able to set up a nice headkick if he's bobbing frequently, even if it hits guard, its a pretty big deterrent. I'm guessing he's bobbing to the outside so switch head kick (left), then a cross, uppercut is a decent one.

Last edited:
As untechnical it may sound, I've found one of the best ones was: shove him, then leg kick. When they're off balanced going backwards its hard to check. Actually if you can get him backing up, you'll be able to land leg kicks nicely, its very rare, not to mention difficult for someone to be checking while backstepping.

I think you should be able to set up a nice headkick if he's bobbing frequently, even if it hits guard, its a pretty big deterrent. I'm guessing he's bobbing to the outside so switch head kick (left), then a cross, uppercut is a decent one.

petro-pushing-into-kick.gif

As untechnical it may sound, I've found one of the best ones was: shove him, then leg kick. When they're off balanced going backwards its hard to check. Actually if you can get him backing up, you'll be able to land leg kicks nicely, its very rare, not to mention difficult for someone to be checking while backstepping.

I actually love pushing people followed by leg kicks, I hadn't thought of that for this situation. Will try, thanks.

The trouble with the clinch is that the man with the lower head has more power to punch with. It's all well and good saying slap on the clinch and knee him, but if the guy hits hard and hits fast, you're going to have a lot of trouble doing that.

I'd say teeps and low kicks are a must, as some others have pointed out, pushing him into the low kick etc - the other thing I'd say is an intercepting knee as he steps in. I wouldn't really recommend grabbing him round the neck, but if you can get double under hooks you're gonna have a lot more luck.

If you can throw bicycle knees, I'd recommend SHOWING him it, because it might make him hesitant to charge in and smash you. I don't necessarily think you should bicycle knee a sparring partner in the face, but if he knows you can do it - that will probably make him think twice about trying to get in close.

The trouble with the clinch is that the man with the lower head has more power to punch with. It's all well and good saying slap on the clinch and knee him, but if the guy hits hard and hits fast, you're going to have a lot of trouble doing that.

I'd say teeps and low kicks are a must, as some others have pointed out, pushing him into the low kick etc - the other thing I'd say is an intercepting knee as he steps in. I wouldn't really recommend grabbing him round the neck, but if you can get double under hooks you're gonna have a lot more luck.

If you can throw bicycle knees, I'd recommend SHOWING him it, because it might make him hesitant to charge in and smash you. I don't necessarily think you should bicycle knee a sparring partner in the face, but if he knows you can do it - that will probably make him think twice about trying to get in close.
whats a bicycle kick?

whats a bicycle kick?

In TKD terms, its where you throw one kick, but use it as a disguise to kick while you're in the air, for example:

So in this case, Saenchai's using a bicycle kick.

A bicycle knee is the same principle. Fake with one knee and then jump into the other, Murthel Groenhart does it all the time.

Where do you learn to throw fireballs? And am I allowed to throw those as an ammy? If my opponent's knees and 1 hand is touching the canvas, are fireballs banned? brb using fireballs to pass guard

In TKD terms, its where you throw one kick, but use it as a disguise to kick while you're in the air, for example:

So in this case, Saenchai's using a bicycle kick.

A bicycle knee is the same principle. Fake with one knee and then jump into the other, Murthel Groenhart does it all the time.

Are you just making terms up or is that actually a term used? Lol

Google "bicycle kick" and all I came up with was the traditional soccer version:

giphy.gif

Most people just call it a fake knee/teep/etc into "another move"...hence the confusion around here.

Where do you learn to throw fireballs? And am I allowed to throw those as an ammy? If my opponent's knees and 1 hand is touching the canvas, are fireballs banned? brb using fireballs to pass guard

You should watch old Pride FC fights if you like fireballs.

oh3gav.jpg

Or maybe WSOF (PFL)...I think they're legal to grounded opponents there as well:

tzNHSHq.gif

Last edited:
Or maybe WSOF (PFL)...I think they're legal to grounded opponents there as well:

tzNHSHq.gif
What a can, it didn't do jack. I always knew blue balls were cans, red it where its at

Are you just making terms up or is that actually a term used? Lol

Google "bicycle kick" and all I came up with was the traditional soccer version:

giphy.gif

Most people just call it a fake knee/teep/etc into "another move"...hence the confusion around here.

Nah, not making up terms, most of the terms I use are ones Jack Slack used, as most of the striking technique knwoeldge I learned from reading his stuff. If you google "bicycle kick muay thai" or TKD, stuff like that it should come up.

It's funny because the kick in the football gif, I've always known as a Pele kick thanks to pro wrestling and... Pele, haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back