Moving to Brazil Part II

Not strictly true. As it's summer months in northern hemisphere this is a traditional time for people to go on vacations. There are a lot of tourists in town right now. And the gyms are busting at the seams as people come in for the Rio Open / Int Masters and Seniors

About 3 out of every 4 tourists in Rio are Brazilians from other cities in Brazil, and domestic tourism is very seasonal, peaking in Dec-Feb. I don't think 75% of the tourists (i.e., the Brazilians) visiting Rio care what season it is in the northern hemisphere. So, if you count Brazilian tourists as tourists then yes, it's strictly true.

That being said, you're right that the Rio Open / Int'l Masters & Seniors is drawing foreigners, which makes the gyms busier. But the "lot of tourists" you're seeing right now are those arriving for the World Youth Day (Jornada Mundial da Juventude), which is unfortunately planned for the same weekend (July 23-28) and is estimated to draw as many as 2.5 million people. The airports alone are anticipating 700k.

But, like the World Cup and Olympics, the WYD is a rotating event, so this should be the last time for awhile that we have to decide between the Pope and the CBJJ.

About

But the "lot of tourists" you're seeing right now are those arriving for the World Youth Day (Jornada Mundial da Juventude), which is unfortunately planned for the same weekend (July 23-28) and is estimated to draw as many as 2.5 million people. The airports alone are anticipating 700k.

It would be wise to avoid Rio. Besides the fact that the the King of the Pedophiles in a wizard costume is in town, it is full of..errr Catholics waiting in line to kiss his stupid ring. Let them clear out and Rio will be good to go.

RioJJGuide, the "lots of tourists" I was referring to are not domestic, but foreign. This is and historically always has been a very popular time for foreign tourists to visit Rio de Janeiro. Go out on the street in Zona Sul and tell me I'm wrong.

I understand you want to be seen as the font of all knowledge when it comes to training BJJ in Rio but your tone is off. Do you have a problem?

RioJJGuide, the "lots of tourists" I was referring to are not domestic, but foreign. This is and historically always has been a very popular time for foreign tourists to visit Rio de Janeiro. Go out on the street in Zona Sul and tell me I'm wrong.

I understand you want to be seen as the font of all knowledge when it comes to training BJJ in Rio but your tone is off. Do you have a problem?

I don't think he had any kind of negative or aggressive tone at all.

He answered a posters question, you told him what he said wasn't "strictly true", and then he responded with some facts to back up what he said.

You then made a passive aggressive comment, and asked him if he had a problem.

I don't see how his tone was off, it seems more like you are annoyed by some competition to your website.

Will do. I did one back in 2009 that was well received, but on the UG. People here seem to be liking my technique videos so i'll definitely post here as well :)

Will do. I did one back in 2009 that was well received, but on the UG. People here seem to be liking my technique videos so i'll definitely post here as well :)

Would it be possible to post a link? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

:D thanks

mid august for 4 months. will train with de la riva. probably dropping in at some other places too

:D thanks

mid august for 4 months. will train with de la riva. probably dropping in at some other places too

Nice. I'll be there til the 22nd of August and the plan is to drop by academies as well.

where you gonna train? you been before?

First time bro. I'm a whitebelt and dropping by Brazil for 3 weeks for work. Hopefully will get to stay at the CR house and drop by Gordo's, Nova Uniao, DLR, GFTeam, Checkmat, Terere, Alliance and BTT. I don't know when is the next time I can get this opportunity again so will try my best to make a visit.

Back