Moving to Brazil Part II

I will drop an ebook. I am a white belt under Cristiano Marcello, training out of CM System in Curitiba and under my own friends here in Belgium. Part of the french #teamb as well. Got into an accident 3 years ago that forced me out of training. Now going back in November.
Good luck bro. Welcome back

The original plan was to go for 6 1/2 months. About half way through that trip I made the decision that I was going to move there forever.

Upon coming home to sell all of my belongings and move back, I met my now wife. I did end up going back and changed my plans to stay until I got my black belt. I ended up staying another 9 1/2 and before I received my black belt.

In total, this blog spans the

few of months before the going to Brazil

6.5 months first trip
7 months home to sell belongings
9 months on the second trip

close to 2 years.

I'd like to make it back to Rio this year or next, but Ricardinho has left Rio for somewhere else in South America with his family, and now FightZone is being run by Gabi and (I think) Levinho. It looks like Bala and Rufinho are running the Cantagalo Social Project full time now as well, so I'm curious what training is like... I try to keep up with who is training where via Instagram but it is tough! The Checkmat presence in Brazil seems to be seriously waning with everyone so spread out. I may go back to Santos instead of Rio this time and train at The House.

I’ve never trained BJJ but have limited Muay Thai and boxing experience, I am planning to be travelling Central and South America next year and think it’d be cool to maybe set up in Brazil for a couple months to do some proper BJJ training (planning on doing the same with Muay Thai in Thailand) and was wondering if people had any advice?

I’ve read through this thread a bit but there’s a lot to get through. Any advice on where I should go? Locations, gyms etc. If there are good schools outside Brazil I’d be open to that too, especially if it’s cheaper as I’ve heard Brazil isn’t that cheap. Any other advice for someone who’s never done it?

I’ve never trained BJJ but have limited Muay Thai and boxing experience, I am planning to be travelling Central and South America next year and think it’d be cool to maybe set up in Brazil for a couple months to do some proper BJJ training (planning on doing the same with Muay Thai in Thailand) and was wondering if people had any advice?

I’ve read through this thread a bit but there’s a lot to get through. Any advice on where I should go? Locations, gyms etc. If there are good schools outside Brazil I’d be open to that too, especially if it’s cheaper as I’ve heard Brazil isn’t that cheap. Any other advice for someone who’s never done it?

There are a lot of really great and friendly schools in Brazil. As you can guess I would suggest Gordo's school in Barra. Admittedly it's been awhile since I've been to Brazil so hopefullly some people make suggestions.

There are a lot of really great and friendly schools in Brazil. As you can guess I would suggest Gordo's school in Barra. Admittedly it's been awhile since I've been to Brazil so hopefullly some people make suggestions.

Cheers. I’ve sent an email to Brazilian Black Belt (Felipe Costa) which seems pretty good but haven’t heard anything back. I’ll look into Gordo’s school too.

How much roughly would I need to budget per month? I’ll just be training and no partying at all.

I'd like to make it back to Rio this year or next, but Ricardinho has left Rio for somewhere else in South America with his family, and now FightZone is being run by Gabi and (I think) Levinho. It looks like Bala and Rufinho are running the Cantagalo Social Project full time now as well, so I'm curious what training is like... I try to keep up with who is training where via Instagram but it is tough! The Checkmat presence in Brazil seems to be seriously waning with everyone so spread out. I may go back to Santos instead of Rio this time and train at The House.
Woah, first hearing Ricardo left Rio. Hopefully I can make it back also in a few years.

There are also excellent Muay Thai gym in Brazil such as Chute Boxe, Sinbadai and Champions Factory

You can get in touch with the Nova Union Academy they get well with the Americans.

There they trained BJ Penn, Pat Miletich and other Americans
And just call André Pederneiras

André Pederneiras
5521 979224849

Cheers. I’ve sent an email to Brazilian Black Belt (Felipe Costa) which seems pretty good but haven’t heard anything back. I’ll look into Gordo’s school too.

How much roughly would I need to budget per month? I’ll just be training and no partying at all.

My friends (meus amigos), a few Gyms can provide You the real Jiu Jitsu
Like Master Godoi, a living samurai

Just my 2 cents, for the guys that want to go on holiday to train BJJ and are on a budget, just try to avoid Rio. Sure there are great gyms in Rio, but Rio is way more expensive than other cities in Brazil. In general, Brazil has gotten more expensive with the years and is getting a lot more westernised than some imagine.

The South of Brazil has plenty of good gyms (just like, the whole of Brazil) but usually housing and food is a lot cheaper, the weather is milder (just don't go in june/juli/august as it will be freezing cold) and is generally a lot safer too. And yes there are plenty of places to party and hookers too.

Back