Moving to Brazil Part II

Just finished reading both threads parts I and II. Epic chronicle of your journey. Thank you so much, Jeremy. It was such a wonderful read. Best to you on continued success.

Thanks for the comment! I'm excited that people are still benefiting from my blog. I get 2 or 3 messages a week about it.

Training in Brazil was definitely a life changing experience.

Thanks for the comment! I'm excited that people are still benefiting from my blog. I get 2 or 3 messages a week about it.

Training in Brazil was definitely a life changing experience.

I think that the reason your chronicles resonate so well with everyone is that you come across as a "regular guy" who had the perseverence to follow his dreams. Your stories were not wrought with any type of arrogance, nor do you come across as some guy who was exceptionally gifted at this (although you may very well be). Rather, you seemed like a guy with a great deal of passion who had the courage and persevere to progress to eventually obtaining your black belt and then opening up his school. I really believe it is your openness, humility, and willingness to share your stories no matter how humiliating or discouraging at the time which allowed your readers to feel like they were living with you through your experiences. I know that I am probably only echoing the hundreds of thousands of readers you must have had following your travels. I feel grateful and fortunate to have found and been able to read your stories.

Signed up just to say Thanks Jeremy.
It was a fantastic read and very inspiring, hope some day i'll make it to Rio

Hows the 'winter' in Brazil? I have a brazilian friend here in Canada who complained about only having winter for the last 2 years. (sept-apr in Canada then apr - aug in brazil) Obviously their concept of winter and mine will be worlds apart but how is the weather in general? When does the majority of rain / heavy humidity occur? Sorry to hijack wasn't sure where the best place to put this was.

Hows the 'winter' in Brazil? I have a brazilian friend here in Canada who complained about only having winter for the last 2 years. (sept-apr in Canada then apr - aug in brazil) Obviously their concept of winter and mine will be worlds apart but how is the weather in general? When does the majority of rain / heavy humidity occur? Sorry to hijack wasn't sure where the best place to put this was.

This is the perfect place for this question, that is the point of this thread being a sticky.

The winters are mild to say the least. It doesnt snow and it might get a little chilly but if you're from Canada then you'll never think it's cold.

I was born in Massachusetts and I was literally never cold. Now...heat on the other hand, I thought I was going to pass out.

One day Gordo looked at me after a particularly hard training session and said "I think you'll have to go home before the summer" I asked him "why?" and he responded "because I think you might die". The funny part is he was serious.

For a Canadian there is no winter in Brazil. Serious. I live in Rio de Janeiro and winter here is some weeks about 20 degrees celsius. In other hand is heat a lot, expect 30+ degrees celsius between September and March (spring and summer). Humidity here in Rio de Janeiro is always high, and rains heavy on summer.

Brazil is a continental dimensions country, coldest area is south region but I think still hotter than a Canadian autumn! :)

Hello Jeremy,

i started reading this thread today and i couldnt stop, it took me all day long lol, ive jump some few parts (that i will recap later) but that was pure entertaining. Hope you keep coming to Brazil and have it as your second home. Thanks!

Actually in south of Brazil, it can reach really cold, like -10 C degrees in cities like S

Last edited:
In cities like Palmas - Tocantins, you may think you are into the oven!

50graus.jpg

Im sorry i used multiples post, it was my first ones, i will not do it again :icon_lol:

Amazing thread. Jeremy, you did a great job reporting your experience and it has definitely been inspiring. I have never been so motivated to train Jiu-Jitsu now. Thank you very much and I wish you all the best with the family and academy.

On a side note, I will be in Rio in Aug and hopefully be training at GFTeam. Definitely keen to talk and meet up with people in the same boat, PM me if you can :)

Edited change in training venue :)

Last edited:
In cities like Palmas - Tocantins, you may think you are into the oven!

50graus.jpg

Im sorry i used multiples post, it was my first ones, i will not do it again :icon_lol:

50 celcius? Crap, is that like 120F? We get the 100+ here all the time. I've felt 115 before but want to part of 120.

already had the holiday bug but now everywhere i travel i think of what places are great places there are available to change

50 celcius? Crap, is that like 120F? We get the 100+ here all the time. I've felt 115 before but want to part of 120.

50 C = 122 F

But reading carefully about Palmas weather, the historical max temperature was 41,2

Just got done reading both threads!! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope to have my own adventures soon.

Hey fellow rio travelers. Im booking my trip for January through March of next year. Haven't been able to find round trip flights for any cheaper than 1200. Is this as good as it gets or should I be on the look out for a rate drop?

Hey fellow rio travelers. Im booking my trip for January through March of next year. Haven't been able to find round trip flights for any cheaper than 1200. Is this as good as it gets or should I be on the look out for a rate drop?

You're aiming for the peak season here in Rio, so I think 1200 is about as good as you're going to get. Carnaval is Feb 28 - Mar 4 next year. Outside the peak season you can find flights for 900-1100.

Some tips I use to get cheaper tickets:

- Use Kayak's flexible dates search option
- Use a private browser, like Google Incognito (some sites use cookies for differential pricing)
- Wednesdays and Saturdays are the cheapest days to travel
- Tuesdays are the cheapest day to buy

It's the northern hemisphere equivalent to January right now and it's been 80 fahrenheit and perfect beach weather for most of the last week. The weather seems to be at it's harshest (might get down to 50) in late Aug/early Sept.

It's the northern hemisphere equivalent to January right now and it's been 80 fahrenheit and perfect beach weather for most of the last week. The weather seems to be at it's harshest (might get down to 50) in late Aug/early Sept.

Yeah, right now is great. It doesn't rain as much, and there are fewer tourists! Here is a good resource covering the seasons and best times to visit for Rio de Janeiro only. Remember that Brazil is a huge country and weather varies by region.

Yeah, right now is great. It doesn't rain as much, and there are fewer tourists!
Not strictly true. As it's summer months in northern hemisphere this is a traditional time for people to go on vacations. There are a lot of tourists in town right now. And the gyms are busting at the seams as people come in for the Rio Open / Int Masters and Seniors

Back