Media Molly McCann Considered Retiring After Stoljarenko Defeat

When she and pimblett are together on camera, they're kind of like the Sheepherders from the old wrestling days. They both have trouble with the English language, They turn heads because the audience is not sure if they've got a screw loose or just mentally handicapped, and not known to be the most physically talented or championship potential. I guess if they both stay, it's some good comic relief a couple of times a year.

it's just a shame there was so much smoke blown up her backside by those Bar Stool dorks.
If we're being honest, she probably wouldn't be collecting UFC paychecks at this point in her career if it wasn't for those Bar stool dorks

It was at Euston station in July, waiting for a train back to Liverpool, when Molly McCann opened up.

McCann had just suffered defeat by Julija Stoliarenko at UFC London at the O2 Arena - her second successive first-round submission loss.

The chastening experience caused McCann to question her future in mixed martial arts (MMA), prompting the 33-year-old to turn to her team and say she was "done".

"You can't co-main in your home country and be embarrassed in that way and think 'I'm the best in the world' because I wasn't," McCann tells BBC Sport.

"What we do is so time consuming, mentally draining, the fans have so much of a say on your life. I was like 'I don't know how I'm going to get out of this one', because the world ridiculed me like I was the scum of the earth to every man and his dog."

McCann had momentarily lost confidence in her ability, but her coach Paul Rimmer's belief never wavered.

He sat McCann down in a coffee shop and told her what she needed to do.

"Listen, this is what you're doing. I promise I'd tell you if I thought you were going to get hurt or you can't challenge for things. But Molly, the girls are too big here, you need to drop down," said Rimmer.

McCann has spent her entire UFC career, which has yielded six wins from 11 fights in almost six years, at flyweight.

But when she returns to the octagon in Las Vegas on Saturday to face Romania's Diana Belbita, she will do so at strawweight.

"I've got a new sense of calm, reserve and contentment at this weight. I'm at peace with it," said McCann.

"It's a harsh reality I've spent my whole career at the wrong weight, but maybe my skillset wasn't ready for this weight class until now.

"I'm in the shape of my life, and if you can't beat them you've got to join them. I can't beat the bigger girls so I've got to use their tact.

"And we've done it correctly. I'm not killing myself to make the weight because I've been so disciplined. We've dropped a weight category but I'm still hitting the same numbers on my lifting as I was at 125lb. It's a bit of a rebirth."

---

Molly sometimes comes across as really down-to-Earth, it's just a shame there was so much smoke blown up her backside by those Bar Stool dorks.

If she doesn't beat Belbita, though, she needs to change her nickname from "Molly" to "Eye".
Tough life, being a pro fighter. I can see how a loss or two can hurt your self confidence. When I was in college, my gym teacher, who was the track coach, asked me to try out for the track team for 100 yd dash. After school, I went out to the track, and raced a guy that was already on the team, and he beat me. I figured if I couldn't beat him, what was the sense? I can only imagine how it must feel to lose a fight, and come back from that.

getting smoked at home and suffering a painful injury would make you reassess your career choices

She’s not beating any SW with good wrestling and subs. Gillian is rank 15 at SW. She choked Meatball unconscious at 125.

SW has really good wrestlers/bjj fighters at the top of the division. She probably loses to the entire top 10. But she does have boxing with a bit of power. But I’d take any competent wrestler that can take a punch over Molly all day.

In winnings or as a wager?
So I had probably 100-200 pounds on about 15 bets. At least 5-8 of them bets was gonna be winners with aspinall finish. So each one worth 2-300. So yeah... Hate the woman tbh

vc3nsw5kkwz81.jpg

She's never gonna be an elite fighter. If she's only in this to become a champion she should retire and pursue a better career. But if she's fine with being a mid level fan favorite who gets preferential treatment over her peers she should ride this train as long as the ride lasts.

Meatballs still don’t get to live another day

makes sense to 'retire' before you're dropped.

Well if she wasn't so goddamn annoying. Maybe I would cheer for her more often...

I am lying I wouldn't. There were better fighters to promote and UFC decided to get in the meatball wagon. Hopefully she improves and learns from it and wins her next fight to reap the benefits because her glaring weakness is TD's and I don't think it will improve that much.

Tough life, being a pro fighter. I can see how a loss or two can hurt your self confidence. When I was in college, my gym teacher, who was the track coach, asked me to try out for the track team for 100 yd dash. After school, I went out to the track, and raced a guy that was already on the team, and he beat me. I figured if I couldn't beat him, what was the sense? I can only imagine how it must feel to lose a fight, and come back from that.
Just a year earlier she was delivering spinning elbow KO's in front of a supportive England crowd. Then two losses occur and it's suddenly "she's so annoying", people wanting her cut from the roster, and her herself considering retirement. The peaks and valleys in this sport are indeed wild.

source.gif

Last edited:
Back