Media Molly McCann Considered Retiring After Stoljarenko Defeat

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

It was at Euston station in July, waiting for a train back to Liverpool, when Molly McCann opened up.

McCann had just suffered defeat by Julija Stoliarenko at UFC London at the O2 Arena - her second successive first-round submission loss.

The chastening experience caused McCann to question her future in mixed martial arts (MMA), prompting the 33-year-old to turn to her team and say she was "done".

"You can't co-main in your home country and be embarrassed in that way and think 'I'm the best in the world' because I wasn't," McCann tells BBC Sport.

"What we do is so time consuming, mentally draining, the fans have so much of a say on your life. I was like 'I don't know how I'm going to get out of this one', because the world ridiculed me like I was the scum of the earth to every man and his dog."

McCann had momentarily lost confidence in her ability, but her coach Paul Rimmer's belief never wavered.

He sat McCann down in a coffee shop and told her what she needed to do.

"Listen, this is what you're doing. I promise I'd tell you if I thought you were going to get hurt or you can't challenge for things. But Molly, the girls are too big here, you need to drop down," said Rimmer.

McCann has spent her entire UFC career, which has yielded six wins from 11 fights in almost six years, at flyweight.

But when she returns to the octagon in Las Vegas on Saturday to face Romania's Diana Belbita, she will do so at strawweight.

"I've got a new sense of calm, reserve and contentment at this weight. I'm at peace with it," said McCann.

"It's a harsh reality I've spent my whole career at the wrong weight, but maybe my skillset wasn't ready for this weight class until now.

"I'm in the shape of my life, and if you can't beat them you've got to join them. I can't beat the bigger girls so I've got to use their tact.

"And we've done it correctly. I'm not killing myself to make the weight because I've been so disciplined. We've dropped a weight category but I'm still hitting the same numbers on my lifting as I was at 125lb. It's a bit of a rebirth."

---

Molly sometimes comes across as really down-to-Earth, it's just a shame there was so much smoke blown up her backside by those Bar Stool dorks.

If she doesn't beat Belbita, though, she needs to change her nickname from "Molly" to "Eye".

Molly McCann might have considered retiring after losing to Stoljarenko,

butt

Hannah Goldy who lost to Molly McCann just got more motivated (to post stuff on OF)

0_goldy-grab-2.jpg
goldy-3.jpg

0_UFC-Fight-Night-Blaydes-v-Aspinall-Official-Weigh-in.jpg
2_UFC-star-beaten-by-Molly-McCann-has-OnlyFans-page-and-surname-tattooed-on-her-butt.jpg

She is 3-4 in her last 7 fights... So if Molly loses this one she is gone then?

ive posted this before but im gonna post it again
Molly needs to get out of the UFC and go into bare knuckle. the UK's got a long history with that sport so its not like she'd have to travel far to train in it.
she is fucking garbage on the ground and cant defend takedowns or submissions to save her life. but she can throw hands and she's got a good chin. so BKB makes all the sense in the world.
she will NEVER be a UFC/MMA champ. i dont see how she even breaks into the top 10 again. her skill pitfalls are easily identified and now known throughout the MMA world.

either BYB in the UK or BKFC here in the USA i'm sure would love to have someone with Molly's star power on their roster. and honestly her boxing is pretty good - i could see her winning a few fights in either league and fighting for a belt in short order.

for the sake of your career, Meatball, just go do bare knuckle! i think she could be the female equivalent to Mike Perry in that sport. so she should do it!

Strawweight is about twenty times deeper than Bantamweight.

I can say with confidence that McCann will never be champ.
Things change. 135 wasn’t some wasteland division before. Look at 135 and how it slowly became shit. Same old chicks fighting from ten years ago.

I don’t disagree with you but the same thing can happen with 125. They let go of Santos for no reason. All it takes is a little more neglect along with athletes aging out and the division is dead.

Last edited:
She should stay and make as much money as she can out of this.. gonna take a guess that Molly doesn't have the same other opportunities that other female fighters have (only fans)..

Things change. 135 wasn’t some wasteland division before. Look at 135 and how it slowly became shit. Same old chicks fighting from ten years ago.

I don’t disagree with you but the same thing can happen with 125. They let go of Santos for no reason. All it takes is a little more neglect along with athieves aging out and the division is dead.
It's really just a matter of demographics. There aren't many athletic women who are big enough to compete at 135. The overwhelming majority of women can cut to 115 or 125.

A larger pool means more talent and more prospects. Almost all the new prospects are 115 or 125. If anything those divisions are getting deeper and the divide is growing.

Back