MMA would be taking a step back if Ngannou becomes champ

People saying that about Stipe are trolling. The few who have the balls to say that about Ngannou the next big thing, are being realistic/factual.

And it's not about showing off a skill recently, but about showing it at the highest level. Ngannou is not keylocking a top HW. He's just a big muscular puncher with athletic gifts.

I guess Werdum was trolling then when he called Stipe "an incomplete fighter" before their bout. If you had to pick a fighter to be a troll it would be the one that does a troll face, but...

I don't want to see Francis win either. Not now. But it's not because of concern about what it might mean to MMA, or from clinging to some silly myth about the March of Progress. Primarily because I want Stipe to get his due daps and maybe, just maybe shut up some of the fools that claim all he can do is erase tired names off the blackboard of consideration. But there's also the thought that it would be better for Francis himself in the long run. Too much, too soon can paralyze his personal growth and turn him into the one dimensional figure you fear.

It's HW. Most people over 240lbs develop some sort of KO power.

Primarily because I want Stipe to get his due daps and maybe, just maybe shut up some of the fools that claim all he can do is erase tired names off the blackboard of consideration.

If Stipe demolishes Francis, people will scold him for beating old guys and inexperienced newcomers.

This is not a bashing thread. The point is that at this level, guys who are only good at one thing and rely purely on physical attributes are supposed to be a thing of the past. The last fighter who succeeded that way in the UFC was Brock Lesnar and that was a long time ago. It would look bad on the sport if Stipe loses.

Ngannou: the only real threat he presents are his hands. Supposedly he had some kind of boxing background but he shows very little of it and no jab, the most important punch of all. He's too raw, just look at his footwork. Doesn't really have any other weapons on the feet, doesn't have a ground game(aside from a keylock against a lower level guy) and his TDD is still a question mark. And with all that muscle there's no way he's not gassed out by round 3.

Even if he lands another windmill and wins the title(highly unlikely. Stipe's no shot ArReemski) he's not destined for longevity. He will be figured out quick because he doesn't have enough other skills to fall back on in this constantly evolving game.

Stipe will win by simply being what a modern MMA fighter is all about. Hate to be a buzzkill sherbros.
200_d.gif

U r an effing fool Ngannou is the next age of super athlete he's not just good at 1 thing learn to understand fights better ur not very good at it

I dunno Ngannou kinda rubs me the wrong way but I wouldn't mind him as champ. He has the X-factor and is more polarizing. Also if he wins we get a little bit more fresh matchups.

How is Ngannou polarizing?

Who the fuck are you to critique Ngannous skills?

Have you trained with him and seen his ground game?
Just because his hands have won him fights doesn't mean he isn't well rounded.

I'm 100% rooting for Ngannou. Stipe fans are getting annoying. They weren't like this before.

But that's why "goats" like jones and all other lhw's and mw's avoid them like the plague... because they hit hard enough that they don't have to. "Throw your spinning elbow and show me your fancy footwork but when I punch you in the fucking head, you go down."

Well Jones in shape fought at only 215-220LB (guy has the lower body of a Cory Hill). You make it seem like he was cutting 35LBs to make LHW

This is not a bashing thread. The point is that at this level, guys who are only good at one thing and rely purely on physical attributes are supposed to be a thing of the past. The last fighter who succeeded that way in the UFC was Brock Lesnar and that was a long time ago. It would look bad on the sport if Stipe loses.

Ngannou: the only real threat he presents are his hands. Supposedly he had some kind of boxing background but he shows very little of it and no jab, the most important punch of all. He's too raw, just look at his footwork. Doesn't really have any other weapons on the feet, doesn't have a ground game(aside from a keylock against a lower level guy) and his TDD is still a question mark. And with all that muscle there's no way he's not gassed out by round 3.

Even if he lands another windmill and wins the title(highly unlikely. Stipe's no shot ArReemski) he's not destined for longevity. He will be figured out quick because he doesn't have enough other skills to fall back on in this constantly evolving game.

Stipe will win by simply being what a modern MMA fighter is all about. Hate to be a buzzkill sherbros.
200_d.gif
agreed. boxers with only ko power should be stripped.

MMA fans may not want to admit it. But Stipe and all HWs are not very skilled compared to the other weight classes. HW is the only division that i would say has not evolved in 15 years

Miocic is pretty well-rounded, though. He's a good boxer by MMA standards with genuine KO power and a solid wrestler. That's enough to be elite in any division in MMA. As much as people talk about the evolution of MMA, having a strong wrestling base and being a decent striker with genuine power is likely to always get you far in the sport.

Well Jones in shape fought at only 215-220LB (guy has the lower body of a Cory Hill). You make it seem like he was cutting 35LBs to make LHW
By his own admission, he walks around at 245. I don't care how his lower body or upper body look. You cut, you duck. He wants nothing to do with HW unless it is the "right opponent". What's he really saying? "I'm scared."

200_d.gif

LOL

Spoken like a man who has never seen a single piece of footage of Ngannou training.

Both guys are great fighters.

But bet the house on Ngannou.

I dont know how you can see the craft of ngannous counter punching and say hes just relying on physical attributes. Hes learning incredibly quickly.

LOL

Spoken like a man who has never seen a single piece of footage of Ngannou training.

Both guys are great fighters.

But bet the house on Ngannou.

The footage of pad work with the shorter, pudgy bald guy? Seen plenty of it and I hate to bring bad news but that does the opposite of making Ngannou look good. Aside from raw power, it makes it incredibly obvious that this is an inexperienced fighter who started too late and has only been doing this for a couple of years.

By his own admission, he walks around at 245. I don't care how his lower body or upper body look. You cut, you duck. He wants nothing to do with HW unless it is the "right opponent". What's he really saying? "I'm scared."

Is everyone in the sport who cuts any amount of weight ducking the division above them, then?

The footage of pad work with the shorter, pudgy bald guy? Seen plenty of it and I hate to bring bad news but that does the opposite of making Ngannou look good. Aside from raw power, it makes it incredibly obvious that this is an inexperienced fighter who started too late and has only been doing this for a couple of years.

The premise of your argument is that Ngannout winning will be like mma taking a step back, because Ngannou lacks technique, as if Stipe was some kind of example of elite mma technique.......

That's a bullshit premise, and I think you know that. At the end of the day. The man who has a netter combination of technique, speed, fight IQ and strength will usually win the match.

Do yourself a favor, and don't get too emotionally connected to Stipe winning this fight.

Back