MMA Pros Pick - Stipe Miocic vs. Francis NGannou (UFC 220 - Boston)

Would be dumb as fuck to pick against Stipe.
Except the fact that it would mean picking against Ngannou, and Ngannou is like McGregor was at featherweight a few years ago: a sense of inevitability mixed with power that no one can take. I want Stipe to win but Ngannou just has all the momentum, has improved drastically, is much larger and physically gifted than Stipe and has not really even struggled against anything in his UFC career. Hyped AF tho, dats 4sho.

why? he has clearly and decisively lost the grappling portion of fights to much less skilled fighter than stipe more than one time.

Except you can't use precedent with a fighter like Ngannou. Every time we see him he's better. And Overeem tried to clinch with him and he shrugged overeem off like it was nothing. I doubt Stipe gets an easy takedown against Ngannou. Maybe in the later rounds.

Except you can't use precedent with a fighter like Ngannou. Every time we see him he's better. And Overeem tried to clinch with him and he shrugged overeem off like it was nothing. I doubt Stipe gets an easy takedown against Ngannou. Maybe in the later rounds.
thats a good point, fair enough.

i do want to say though that overeem also looked very very weak the second stipe caught his kick. tripped, shoved over like nothing and KO'd from guard.

winklejohn (overeem and arlovski's coach) has also talked about stipe's underestimated strength.

Would be dumb as fuck to pick against Stipe.

I love Stipe... Really I do. He's the man. I wouldn't want anyone I know or care about fighting Ngannou. That guy is a monster and all technical prowess and wrestling aside? Physics are physics and mass and force work on your chin regardless if you're the superior decision maker in the octagon. When / if he connects it's going to be over or well on it's way...

I love Stipe... Really I do. He's the man. I wouldn't want anyone I know or care about fighting Ngannou. That guy is a monster and all technical prowess and wrestling aside? Physics are physics and mass and force work on your chin regardless if you're the superior decision maker in the octagon. When / if he connects it's going to be over or well on it's way...
I hope you give fighters a little more credit than that. You're really underestimating the skill and strategy side of high level fighting

I think stipe wins also. But not because the pros say so. They know jack shit about picking fights. They are just fans too. Its like the ex nfl players picking winning teams. They suck for the most part. If they were any better they would be making a killing betting on fights.

Alot of pros thought choi woukd wreck stephs s and that rose had no chance vs skeletor

Pros never go with the "hype", they like to think of themselves as above falling for it, it's also a little bit of jealousy.

Funny to hear Blyades talk about hype when that hype whooped his ass.

Last edited:
Ya, cause it’s so crazy they would pick a proven champ over a one trick pony.

Another Fedor fangirl shook that Stipes about to break the HW title defense record.
what the fuck fedor has to do with it. fedor is miles beyond miocic so why would fedor fans care if miocic breaks the record or not. cain fans are the one that should be worried, or anyone fan of HW champs that defended twice and couldn't break the record

what the fuck fedor has to do with it. fedor is miles beyond miocic so why would fedor fans care if miocic breaks the record or not. cain fans are the one that should be worried, or anyone fan of HW champs that defended twice and couldn't break the record
The guys username was Fedorrulez.

Fedor is only miles beyond Miocic if we only look at the numbers and ignore the opponent level. Fedors 3 best and most notable wins are decisions, while Stipe is putting people to sleep... some of the same people who beat Fedor.

Curtis Blaydes is one of Stipe's wrestling coaches, a lot of people don't know this. also he fought Ngannou so I knew he would clearly pick Stipe.

I didn't know that.

This may be the x factor here if Blaydes has sound advice for Stipe.

"pro tip Stipe, do not get hit by Ngannou"

Fedor is only miles beyond Miocic if we only look at the numbers and ignore the opponent level. Fedors 3 best and most notable wins are decisions, while Stipe is putting people to sleep... some of the same people who beat Fedor.
yeah miocic is putting past their prime guys to sleep. it's definitely not the same thing

a guy with that much power in the slower HW division, and ngannou has more of the proverbial 'puncher's chance' than any fighter alive. however the picks still aren't surprising - stipe has the much more rounded skill set and has just gone thru a who's who of top ten guys to get where he's at.

that being said, this fight should make stipe fans nervous as fuck.
Yah, homeboy - I love Stipe's workman like attitude and underdog succeeding story but there comes a time that all fight fans must be realistic: Ngannou is like Tyson and Stipe appears to be like Spinks (on a hot streak, ran thru all comers, diverse and decorated veteran).

I HOPE Stipe wins, but a guy like Ngannou ust seems to have an aura of inevitability and the last guy that one wants to face at HW at the moment.

You could be missing the fact that Fedor did all that as a natural middleweight, while these guys are doing this in the modern max weight cut era. Just imagine GSP decisioning LHW's and HW's in his era - it would never happen. For crying out loud, LHWs like Bones and Gus make The Last Emperor look like bantamweights.

Will Mystic Chael's self awareness break the curse? will Stipe win....or is this another instance you should bet the house on N'Gannou lol. In all seriousness, I love how he admitted to being the worst at picking fight. This is a risky fight to put money on period, if you have it to blow, than by all means, but this is a dangerous fight Imo, DC Volkan as a little safer.

That and Ngannou showed he has the ability to get back to his feet when taken down (in the Curtis Blaydes fight who I think is a better wrestler than Stipe).

Stipe isn't evasive enough on the feet to avoid the power shot from Ngannou and his wrestling isn't good enough to consistently take Ngannou down and keep him down.

I don't see Stipe winning this fight. The only Top 10 HW he beat in their prime was Werdum who fought incredibly stupid.

Stipe was almost ko'd by reem...if reem was a bit more patient, he might have won...he probably shouldn't have went for that guilotine...but oh well...and ngannue hits alot harder than reem does...at this point.

Wow, surprised to see how many folks are picking Stipe across the board. He's the smart money due to his skill-set and experience, but I thought I'd see it be a little more 50 / 50 on the picks.

Wonderboy, Colby, Blaydes, Marvin Vettori, Dustin Ortiz all picking Miocic.

Seems most think his wrestling and conditioning will be the difference.

Seems like most fighters are picking Stipe, while fans and media are leaning toward Francis..

Except the fact that it would mean picking against Ngannou, and Ngannou is like McGregor was at featherweight a few years ago: a sense of inevitability mixed with power that no one can take. I want Stipe to win but Ngannou just has all the momentum, has improved drastically, is much larger and physically gifted than Stipe and has not really even struggled against anything in his UFC career. Hyped AF tho, dats 4sho.
People keep comparing Ngannou to Jones, Tyson and now mcgregor. The main difference between Francis and those guys is Francis has never showed elite level technique at anything.

Also Ngannou struggled against Henrique and Blaydes. More so against Henrique.

Curtis Blaydes is one of Stipe's wrestling coaches, a lot of people don't know this. also he fought Ngannou so I knew he would clearly pick Stipe.

Wow, did not know that Blaydes is one of Stipe's wrestling coaches!

Back