Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

A lot of people have butthurt feelings when it comes to the Recon community (the SgtMaj who was always flipping out about mustaches in Generation Kill is a perfect example). It's the same reason their new fancy pin doesn't have the skull on it.
There's a big difference between Recon and MARSOC. The Recon Battalion from that miniseries was not a SOF unit. And I think that SgtMaj had spent his whole career in aviation before going over there.

They took away the skull? BBBBOOOOOOO

That said, the temptation to enlist (not necessarily the Marine) has gotten larger for me. And not to go infantry either but MAYBE try to get into the Naval side of JAG.

Attorneys I work with/Judges and Commissioners all suggested it when I mentioned my intention of maybe law school down the road.

I would welcome your Service Grego , definitely don't go enlisted if you have a degree and are over 25.

There's a big difference between Recon and MARSOC. The Recon Battalion from that miniseries was not a SOF unit. And I think that SgtMaj had spent his whole career in aviation before going over there.
The book said he was like a supply company POG prior to invasion that was kicked out of infantry for abandoning a water truck in the middle of the desert during the first Gulf War.

I would welcome your Service Grego , definitely don't go enlisted if you have a degree and are over 25.
Well, both of those bits tick boxes that describe me.

Well a lot of people on here know at least one guy in it (Tim Kennedy). :D
Tim's actually a really good dude. My first duty station was Ft Hood, and he lives in Austin, TX. I used to drive down to his gym and train on Saturdays every so often back when I was doing the whole ammy MMA thing. He was already tabbed and knew I wanted to be SF. He gave me a lot of really good advice and told me some pretty cool stories from his time in 7SFG. For someone who was aspirational, that really went a long way to have a guy like that point you in the right direction. After I left Hood for Bragg, Tim started to travel up to Hood to train with some of the guys from the Ft Hood fight house. One of them was Colton Smith, a guy that I had trained with before I was even in the Army (I was in college at the time). It's a small freakin' world, huh?

Once, when I was down at Tim's one Saturday, everyone was sparring. Tim was getting a fresh guy every round. He wouldn't spar with the guys under 170 because he'd break them and he couldn't help it. Between rounds, this guy who probably weighed about 160 was begging Tim to give him a chance. Tim didn’t want to, but the clock was ticking, so Tim finally agreed. About 15 seconds later, Tim (with a boxing glove on) scoops this kid up with his hand and launches him about 6 feet off the mat. It was hysterical. I’ve never seen anyone with the strength or cardio of Tim Kennedy. That man is a genetic freak. Glad he's on our side.

The book said he was like a supply company POG prior to invasion that was kicked out of infantry for abandoning a water truck in the middle of the desert during the first Gulf War.
Right on. I'm probably misremembering or something. I definitely heard that he got busted for some pedo stuff after he retired. The guy's probably in jail now still.

Well, both of those bits tick boxes that describe me.

Money and Pride Man , I've been enlisted almost 12 years ( Started when I was 18) I like doing what I do (and where I'm at I'm working on things on the side that is making me good money) , anyways for you if you Started enlisted at your age you might run into a situation where some 20-21 year old without much life experience is your supervisor and some are mature others will act like 20-21 year olds.

I didn't really care all that much for how it was ran in some regards. We had a kid in receiving waltz into the DI's hooch and tell them this whole being a Marine thing wasn't for him and he'd like to go home. I think people should be able to quit in some cases. The only kid in my Boot Camp platoon was a kid named Hashey or Hadey or something like that who 100% wanted to be there who had some sort of heart defect or a lung problem or something and during PT one day literally nearly ran until he died.

What a terminator. Med sep?

Money and Pride Man , I've been enlisted almost 12 years ( Started when I was 18) I like doing what I do (and where I'm at I'm working on things on the side that is making me good money) , anyways for you if you Started enlisted at your age you might run into a situation where some 20-21 year old without much life experience is your supervisor and some are mature others will act like 20-21 year olds.
The thing that stops me is I have no idea how to be "guaranteed" to head where I would want if I tried to get in.

Right on. I'm probably misremembering or something. I definitely heard that he got busted for some pedo stuff after he retired. The guy's probably in jail now still.
He did.

And if I remember right Casey Casum became a team leader and was actually pretty badass at it. Guy apparently couldn't find batteries but was born to be a team leader.

The thing that stops me is I have no idea how to be "guaranteed" to head where I would want if I tried to get in.

He did.

And if I remember right Casey Casum became a team leader and was actually pretty badass at it. Guy apparently couldn't find batteries but was born to be a team leader.
Talk to a recruiter. They might be able to tell you how easy it is or isn't to get into the JAG if you already have a law degree. You will definitely need one of those to be a JAG though.

I've seen the miniseries once. Which one was he?

Yeah Duty Stations are a crap shoot first go around , as for officers might have more flexibility but if you became a Jaffe you could end up anywhere since Legal/Admin is needed everywhere.

Talk to a recruiter. They might be able to tell you how easy it is or isn't to get into the JAG if you already have a law degree. You will definitely need one of those to be a JAG though.

I've seen the miniseries once. Which one was he?
The dude with Encino Man that had like 9 cameras around his neck. The one Colbert is constantly bitching at to get batteries from.

Well no shit sherlock

34gUbZD.gif

The dude with Encino Man that had like 9 cameras around his neck. The one Colbert is constantly bitching at to get batteries from.
GySgt Griego, aka Casey Kasem.

GySgt Griego, aka Casey Kasem.

He was in a history documentary produced by Peter Berg recently about an ambush in 04 or 05. Of course it had his own video footage. He was just the Plt Sgt

What a terminator. Med sep?

I'm assuming that's what happened. During PT one day, I didn't really see what happened, but for those who went to MCRD San Diego they'll know what I'm talking about, but the portion of the PT field out by the airport there is an actual stretch of track that you do two laps around and then after that go straight down a dirt path towards the main gate. on my second lap around he was on the ground towards on one of the turns of the track and our junior drill instructor was standing over him, and the Senior Drill Instructor was squatted down next to him talking to him. Neither of them were yelling at him which was obviously unusual as we were only like 3 weeks into Boot Camp and he was basically laying on the ground. He had dark read hair, and his face and neck were the same color as his hair. That was the last time I saw him. That same Junior Drill Instructor was my Drill Instructor for the Crucible. During the Crucible they essentially break you into squads with a Drill Instructor as the Squad Leader and start to treat you a little more like humans, and actually talk to you, and I remember him talking about that kid and telling us he had like a lung or heart problem of some kind and that he had actually collapsed from running too hard.

I'm assuming that's what happened. During PT one day, I didn't really see what happened, but for those who went to MCRD San Diego they'll know what I'm talking about, but the portion of the PT field out by the airport there is an actual stretch of track that you do two laps around and then after that go straight down a dirt path towards the main gate. on my second lap around he was on the ground towards on one of the turns of the track and our junior drill instructor was standing over him, and the Senior Drill Instructor was squatted down next to him talking to him. Neither of them were yelling at him which was obviously unusual as we were only like 3 weeks into Boot Camp and he was basically laying on the ground. He had dark read hair, and his face and neck were the same color as his hair. That was the last time I saw him. That same Junior Drill Instructor was my Drill Instructor for the Crucible. During the Crucible they essentially break you into squads with a Drill Instructor as the Squad Leader and start to treat you a little more like humans, and actually talk to you, and I remember him talking about that kid and telling us he had like a lung or heart problem of some kind and that he had actually collapsed from running too hard.

We had a kid come down with MS during the Crucible. I remember pushing him up the road and having him collapse about 500 yards before the staging area of Mt MF. The dude went from physically capable of everything to a shattered wreck over the course of grass week and the Crucible.

We had a kid come down with MS during the Crucible. I remember pushing him up the road and having him collapse about 500 yards before the staging area of Mt MF. The dude went from physically capable of everything to a shattered wreck over the course of grass week and the Crucible.

God, that's awful. A guy I was in SOI with got Med Sep'ed after like the 5k for Shin Splints of all things. I have to think that would have to suck even worse than getting med sep'ed in boot.

God, that's awful. A guy I was in SOI with got Med Sep'ed after like the 5k for Shin Splints of all things. I have to think that would have to suck even worse than getting med sep'ed in boot.

That shit must take a pretty immense toll on the kids psychologically.

Back