Mike Perry, let's put some perspective on him

PlatinumBless
official Weigh-ins GOAT
He is still raw and unpolished but has all the potentional, power and explovise finishing skills to be one of the greatest EVA

IMG_1308.JPG

hi-res-747cb1b3a98972d2d01a2ba33f66a415_crop_north.jpg

someday one of my blows will hit you, manlet :D

Wrong section, this one should be sticky in the heavy

Nothing wrong with talking about PMP in the wasteland. Gather plat nation and discuss his greatness what's the big deal?

yea.......................................no

Nothing wrong with talking about PMP in the wasteland. Gather plat nation and discuss his greatness what's the big deal?
Can't believe how often we end up in here....it's become a legitimate subforum for the Nation :(

it's more active than the Platinum subforum in here too

you're a man of so many ideas @Jermei

My first USFC bet thread spent 3 weeks in the wasteland before it moved back to the heavies by popular demand so if this is where you guys have to talk about all things Mike Perry than so be it.... here's another idea... start a thread like say "Mike Perry Platinum War Chariot Volume 1" and tell the mods you and plat nation want to congregate there. That one thread will be like your turf and they might leave it alone and not wasteland it knowing you're all relatively contained... but all you guys post all these shit threads that only you guys think is funny and they end up here.

just look at some of these highly ranked welterweight fighters with equal or worse records after 10 fights
  • Masvidal 8-2
  • Cerrone 9-1
  • Brown 6-4
  • Lawler 8-2
  • Condit 9-1
  • Cote 7-3
  • Magny 8-2
  • Thompson 9-1
  • Jouban 8-2
it's significant.

This thread obviously took some digging & research. Interesting to see how they compare.

It's great to see how some of the GOATs came back so strong after a loss or 2.

just look at some of these highly ranked welterweight fighters with equal or worse records after 10 fights
  • Masvidal 8-2
  • Cerrone 9-1
  • Brown 6-4
  • Lawler 8-2
  • Condit 9-1
  • Cote 7-3
  • Magny 8-2
  • Thompson 9-1
  • Jouban 8-2
it's significant.
This thread obviously took some digging & research. Interesting to see how they compare.

It's great to see how some of the GOATs came back so strong after a loss or 2.
This will be Mike's true test, to see how he responds to a loss. Will the lose make or break him?

We don't want an echo chamber, we actually welcome varied view points. We could easily discuss things amongst ourselves in chats.
My first USFC bet thread spent 3 weeks in the wasteland before it moved back to the heavies by popular demand so if this is where you guys have to talk about all things Mike Perry than so be it.... here's another idea... start a thread like say "Mike Perry Platinum War Chariot Volume 1" and tell the mods you and plat nation want to congregate there. That one thread will be like your turf and they might leave it alone and not wasteland it knowing you're all relatively contained... but all you guys post all these shit threads that only you guys think is funny and they end up here.
Thanks for the advice, I don't think this was a shit thread though. I honestly believe it's the best OP I've ever put together and far superior to the majority of the tripe in the heavies. We already have a war wagon thread which I think you have posted in before also...

This will be Mike's true test, to see how he responds to a loss. Will the lose make or break him?
I studied Mike's pre-UFC career pretty thoughroughly when he came to the UFC. The biggest thing I saw going into his UFC debut was that he allowed himself to get hit a bit more than he will get away with in the UFC.

In the Jouban fight... I saw a lot of work he's done adjusting his game away from "the careless brawler" style & focusing on fighting more technical. He also spoke about focusing on that prior to the fight. I think the new approach & adjustments may not have clicked with him just yet when he fought Jouban... but when he marries his past aggressive style to his new more technical approach & it all clicks with him, he will be a force to be reckoned with. He will not be broken. :cool:

Last edited:
I studied Mike's pre-UFC career pretty thoughroughly when he came to the UFC. The biggest thing I saw going into his UFC debut was that he allowed himself to get hit a lot.

In the Jouban fight... I saw a lot of work he's done adjusting his game away from "the careless brawler" style & focusing on fighting more technical. He also spoke about focusing on that prior to the fight. I think the new approach & adjustments may not have clicked with him just yet when he fought Jouban... but when he marries his past aggressive style to his new more technical approach & it all clicks with him, he will be a force to be reckoned with. He will not be broken. :cool:
Hopefully so, you can't train to hit like he does or to have the chin/recovery. If he can be better defensively and time those aggressive bursts then I don't see how he loses in a fist fight. I haven't been exposed to enough of his ground game to say either way but he looked like he had good top control against Danny Roberts.

Hopefully so, you can't train to hit like he does or to have the chin/recovery. If he can be better defensively and time those aggressive bursts then I don't see how he loses in a fist fight. I haven't been exposed to enough of his ground game to say either way but he looked like he had good top control against Danny Roberts.
No doubt that power is an incredible god given weapon that will enhance his career.

It's been a minute since I studied his pre-UFC fights but I came out of it feeling like he has a pretty advanced ground game. He did have a tendency to give up his back, but he got out of it as well as other holds he got out of. I'd say his "counter-Jiu Jitsu" is on point for sure.

I forget which one it waz... but one of his opponents specialized in grappling... & Plat had some really nice scrambles to get out of some tough submission attempts. He has shown some weakness on the ground... but he seemz to have a good solid grappling foundation to improve upon imo.

Last edited:
No doubt that power is an incredible god given weapon that will enhance his career.

It's been a minute since I studied his pre-UFC fights but I came out of it feeling like he has a pretty advanced ground game. He did have a tendency to give up his back, but he got out of it as well as other holds he got out of. I'd say his "counter-Jiu Jitsu" is on point for sure.

I forget which one it waz... but one of his opponents specialized in grappling... & Plat had some really nice scrambles to get out of some tough submission attempts. He has shown some weakness on the ground... but he seemz to have a good solid grappling foundation to improve upon imo.
my assessment of his professional and amateur career was very similar to yours Wild :) not the greatest chin but amazing recovery. In one fight he got rocked hard and ended up pulling guard pretty much into a horrible full mount, then escaped that and a subsequent choke all while still hurt. He definitely has BJJ too, I've seen solid armbar attempts and a few chokes plus very good submission defence and top control.

It does still sound like he's training with some non-fighters and hobbyists (as @TheMadHatter described himself) plus we've all seen the footage of him training recently. Is he on vacation? not a good look if he's hoping to get past Ellenberger. I'm really hoping he hasn't already taken this fight as an L mentally.

Back