Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali RBR THREAD

Because we will never see him again, so he is kind of dead unless he start promoting on a major level and commentating
for the life of me, i can't figure out what it is about cotto that makes people respond to him like this...he wasn't that great. he didn't bring anything special to the sport. he fought hard, but that's what a fighter is supposed to do...and he could be a dirty fighter and a sore loser...and he cut weight unfairly to his opponents.

fact that he's an idol to some people just goes to show what a ghetto sport boxing is.

Watching cottos last fight made me more sad than watching Floyd or mosleys last fight
Really gonna miss him
With Mosley though, its because you WANT him to retire. Seeing the guy hang around losing to guys like Mundine is hard to take.

Watching cottos last fight made me more sad than watching Floyd or mosleys last fight
Really gonna miss him
he was a overrated, overhyped, protected fighter who got exposed or go gift decisions whenever he stepped up...fact that his retirement means more to you than floyd or shane only means ydksab.

With Mosley though, its because you WANT him to retire. Seeing the guy hang around losing to guys like Mundine is hard to take.
Mosley got robbed hard in his last fight

for the life of me, i can't figure out what it is about cotto that makes people respond to him like this...he wasn't that great. he didn't bring anything special to the sport. he fought hard, but that's what a fighter is supposed to do...and he could be a dirty fighter and a sore loser...and he cut weight unfairly to his opponents.

fact that he's an idol to some people just goes to show what a ghetto sport boxing is.
I don't believe you watched boxing before last week.
You're simply wrong. No two ways about it. The guy won 19 world title fights. He was involved with classic fights and had a crowd pleasing style. Your attempt at playing dumb here is just coming off as dumb.

well, i agree...shane stuck around too long...it's hard when you have them vicious korean ex-wives to support.

Last edited:
I don't believe you watched boxing before last week.
You're simply wrong. No two ways about it. The guy won 19 world title fights. He was involved with classic fights and had a crowd pleasing style. Your attempt at playing dumb here is just coming off as dumb.
dude, you're killin me here...i followed cotto throughout his career. he was a media creation. he was never great and his record proves it, but in actuality he wasn't even as good as his record suggests. he was just good enough to hang with the best without being much of a threat...he was a lower echelon contender in terms of his true abilty...and he cheated a lot...and got a lotta favoritism. there is no reason for anybody who follows boxing and really knows what happened in the sport over the last 20 years to admire cotto. he was probably a nice guy, but that's besides the point. as a fighter he doesn't deserve anything near the accolades he gets.

i guess i'm just not sentimental...and i remember what happened in the past without rose colored glasses. i'm just saying cotto was not a great fighter...he might have been a great MAN, but as a fighter he was the equivalent of say, john starks...decent, but nothing special.

but one thing i will grant...cotto was/is REALLY popular. but "popular" is not the same as being "good." i don't think a lotta fans know the difference. they buy into the hype machine.

i guess i'm just not sentimental...and i remember what happened in the past without rose colored glasses. i'm just saying cotto was not a great fighter...he might have been a great MAN, but as a fighter he was the equivalent of say, john starks...decent, but nothing special.

but one thing i will grant...cotto was/is REALLY popular. but "popular" is not the same as being "good." i don't think a lotta fans know the difference. they buy into the hype machine.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

dude, you're killin me here...i followed cotto throughout his career. he was a media creation. he was never great and his record proves it, but in actuality he wasn't even as good as his record suggests. he was just good enough to hang with the best without being much of a threat...he was a lower echelon contender in terms of his true abilty...and he cheated a lot...and got a lotta favoritism. there is no reason for anybody who follows boxing and really knows what happened in the sport over the last 20 years to admire cotto. he was probably a nice guy, but that's besides the point. as a fighter he doesn't deserve anything near the accolades he gets.

and what undeserved accolades does he get? no one is saying cotto is the greatest fighter ever, but he is a great fighter. like seano already pointed out, he won 19 world title fights, you halfwit. calling that a lower echelon contender is painfully stupid.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
The door is an overrated media creation. The door should have at least two more legit losses and should never be considered a great.

The door is an overrated media creation. The door should have at least two more legit losses and should never be considered a great.

People love the door, I'll give it that.

People still trying to poo poo Ali's victory.

Judges had him (3-3), (4-2), (3-3) in the first 6 rounds. Cotto got rocked in round 2, all three judges had it Ali that round and rightly so. He got round 4 in all three scorecards as well.

I believe if he wasn't a big name Puerto Rican he would have never gotten the amount of title shots that he had.

Nothing wrong on Cotto's part, but people need to acknowledge the politics and nationalism aspect of it. Most Eastern fighters never get repeated title shots. Cotto had the marketing behind him.

He got instant title shots at completely different weight-classes without being ranked or active in them.

Judges had him (3-3), (4-2), (3-3) in the first 6 rounds. Cotto got rocked in round 2, all three judges had it Ali that round and rightly so. He got round 4 in all three scorecards as well.
Who are these people saying bad things about Ali? Didn’t pretty much everyone say the score was fair?

Who are these people saying bad things about Ali? Didn’t pretty much everyone say the score was fair?

I'm talking about elsewhere. Comments on youtube. Plus, he was booed after his win. It was ridiculous.

EDIT: I'm referring to the fact that they're claiming Ali only won because Cotto got hurt in the 7th. As if he wasn't already even on the scorecards in the first 6 rounds, and hadn't rocked Cotto already.

Last edited:

Who is? Everyone in here has given him his credit.

But to act like the bicep didnt have a part in this, right after Cotto started laying it on him, is pretty silly.

Edit: Saw your other post. Gotcha.

Last edited:
I'm talking about elsewhere. Comments on youtube. Plus, he was booed after his win. It was ridiculous.

EDIT: I'm referring to the fact that they're claiming Ali only won because Cotto got hurt in the 7th. As if he wasn't already even on the scorecards in the first 6 rounds, and hadn't rocked Cotto already.
I see very few people with sour grapes here. I like Cotto a lot but shit happens.

If we're to talk about Ali though, this fight probably sets him up for a real beating from someone at 154. Anyone know who his mandatory should be?

I see very few people with sour grapes here. I like Cotto a lot but shit happens.

If we're to talk about Ali though, this fight probably sets him up for a real beating from someone at 154. Anyone know who his mandatory should be?

I think De La Hoya just found Canelo's next opponent.....

Back