McG vs Khabib - The oversight

Wise1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.

Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.
Breaking...bear shits in woods...

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage

giphy.gif

I don’t like the Khabib/Mendes comparison. Khabib is way bigger, stronger and has a better ground game. The guy is a different animal..

"The oversight"

More like your shitty opinion.

I don’t like the Khabib/Mendes comparison. Khabib is way bigger, stronger and has a better ground game. The guy is a different animal..

and that animals ferociousness has been overblown while Conor’s resilience has been undermined.

"The oversight"

More like your shitty opinion.

What’s more shitty, me stating my opinion with explanation or your response? I recognize your name because I notice your posts are usually good, tell me what’s so shitty about mine, I mostly just stated facts...

Khabib couldn't take down Laquinta at will. I'm sure Conor's TDD has improved enough to be comparable to Laquinta. As long as he doesn't get too wild with the kicks and actually is carefull not to get taken down he should win.

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy,
Stopped right there. He had about 4 minutes, and he absolutely thrashed Conor on the ground for a few of those minutes. Anyone who isn't a moron should have known that fight was all Conor if it got out of the first round.

I haven't seen Khabib get tired to the point of exhaustion. I've seen Conor get tired, and i've seen Conor wilt under pressure. If Khabib gets him down and roughs him up in Rd. 1 and 2, I'm pretty sure it's over.

Khabib is an overrated WW. He's going to have to finish Conor early which he has shown a complete inability to do. Even Michael Johnson almost survived 3 rounds.

Conor might survive for a while, but his chances will diminish with every minute he spends on the ground.

Khabib's chin is fresh and this is a higher division, Conor needs to be at his best to put him away IMO.

Hurting Khabib, wobbling him or cutting his face won't matter, as long as he's taken down and controlled he'll most likely lose the round.

Last edited:
What’s more shitty, me stating my opinion with explanation or your response? I recognize your name because I notice your posts are usually good, tell me what’s so shitty about mine, I mostly just stated facts...
The title made it seem like it would be some kind of objective analysis. But in fact it was just your opinion which seems heavily biased towards Conor.

The title made it seem like it would be some kind of objective analysis. But in fact it was just your opinion which seems heavily biased towards Conor.

Honestly it was going to be an in-depth analysis but then I decided to just do the TLDR version. Which is that for all of Khabib’s ferociousness he doesn’t put away his opponents very often which would indicate some overhype AND that Conor is not as helpless off his back as people say. I honestly like both very much, 2 of my fav 5 fighters at the moment. If it seems that the jist of the post is biased towards Conor it’s because I’m mainly arguing a point which has been targeted against Conor. I love Khabib. My friends who don’t watch mma only know about and now follow Khabib because of me. By no means am I saying that I think Conor wins, I just think this fight is a lot more even than people think and I would not pick one over the other.

Sorry but none of this is true

Conor has a better chance than many people seem to think, but if it hits the ground, Conor is in trouble. Every round starts standing, though. If Conor can avoid the TD and stick-and-move well, he can definitely win the fight, but to say he's got a chance on the ground is absurd. He DID take damage from Mendes and could not have survived another round or two of GnP because the ref would have stopped it, if he didn't go out.

Props to Conor for getting up and winning the Mendes fight. He's a great fighter. But don't get carried away, yeah?

Back