McG vs Khabib - The oversight

Sorry but none of this is true

Conor has a better chance than many people seem to think, but if it hits the ground, Conor is in trouble. Every round starts standing, though. If Conor can avoid the TD and stick-and-move well, he can definitely win the fight, but to say he's got a chance on the ground is absurd. He DID take damage from Mendes and could not have survived another round or two of GnP because the ref would have stopped it, if he didn't go out.

Props to Conor for getting up and winning the Mendes fight. He's a great fighter. But don't get carried away, yeah?

Don’t know what you mean by “has a chance on the ground” I’m simply saying that he will be able to withstand Khabib’s GnP long enough to make it a fight. Not saying he’s going to triangle Khabib or something like that. Like you said, every round starts on the feet, well on top of that I will say that Conor will be able to manage to get to his feet a few times as well. The point I’m arguing against is the idea that Khabib will take him down and the fight will be over.

Agree that Conor has an under-rated ground game but he's outclassed by Khabib in that area. Likewise, he outclasses Khabib in the stand-up arena.
If Conor can keep his TDD on point then he wins this 10/10 times. If he goes down he will lose because only the ref (or tapping out) will get him back to his feet.

A thing I notice is that Khabibs gas tank is suspect as well. His explosiveness seems to goes after 2 rounds and fighters (who can survive that long) have a a lot more success stopping his take-downs. You could make a case that both Barbosa and Iaquinta both won their Round 3. If it goes into the later rounds then I'd see Conor still in with a real chance. If it comes down to two exhausted fighters trying to get a decision then Conor will piece him up like he did in Nate 2.

Khabib is an overrated WW. He's going to have to finish Conor early which he has shown a complete inability to do. Even Michael Johnson almost survived 3 rounds.
Why would he have to finish Conor early? Who has the cardio out of the two? If Conor is gonna win it's gonna be by early KO/TKO.

Chad Mendes came off the couch for that fight. Khabib has about 40 lbs on and 5 inches of height on Mendes.

Agree that Conor has an under-rated ground game but he's outclassed by Khabib in that area. Likewise, he outclasses Khabib in the stand-up arena.
If Conor can keep his TDD on point then he wins this 10/10 times. If he goes down he will lose because only the ref (or tapping out) will get him back to his feet.

A thing I notice is that Khabibs gas tank is suspect as well. His explosiveness seems to goes after 2 rounds and fighters (who can survive that long) have a a lot more success stopping his take-downs. You could make a case that both Barbosa and Iaquinta both won their Round 3. If it goes into the later rounds then I'd see Conor still in with a real chance. If it comes down to two exhausted fighters trying to get a decision then Conor will piece him up like he did in Nate 2.
Thing is Conor wasn't piecing him up late in the fight, even with Nates hands down, he was running and being pointed at. He was even taken down by a tired Nate at the end of the fight,Khabib should be able to taked him down as well tired. I think if Conors gonna win it's gotta be the first two rounds, unless he's worked on his cardio, which i doubt. Imo.

Why would he have to finish Conor early? Who has the cardio out of the two? If Conor is gonna win it's gonna be by early KO/TKO.

Khabib shows he slows down too. But anyways, it's because Khabib is not good enough to allow striking exchanges from Conor. If he doesn't finish him early, those are inevitably going to happen. He is not facing Edson this time, he is facing Conor and there will be a significant difference if he is allowed back to his feet.

I lost you at “Conor is a world class wrestler.”

Not sure why you think a 6 year old fight is relevant today.

Yeah, what is the point in referencing a fight where the allegedly unbeatable wrestler got out wrestled when talking about the plausibility of them being out wrestled...

upload_2018-8-1_19-29-53.jpeg

Thing is Conor wasn't piecing him up late in the fight, even with Nates hands down, he was running and being pointed at. He was even taken down by a tired Nate at the end of the fight,Khabib should be able to taked him down as well tired. I think if Conors gonna win it's gotta be the first two rounds, unless he's worked on his cardio, which i doubt. Imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree but I watched the fight again yesterday. Conor gassed out in round 2 (as usual) and Nate gassed out in round 3. Nate could have won that fight but he took round 4 off and allowed an exhausted Conor to out-point him easily. He was only Gurning and pointing because he didn't have the energy to go after Conor. Round 5 saw both of them rally and it was a razor thin round with people giving it to Nate because he got a take-down at the very end. Many Diaz fans try to parlay that into a domination of the round by Nate which it absolutely wasn't.

I will agree that if Conors striking doesn't get respect from Khabib early in round 1 then I can't see him staying unmauled for Khabib to slow down in 3.

It's a fascinating fight and absolutely the one to make for LW. It has the potential to define both of those fighters.

Yes the idea that if he is taken down once it is all over, comes from those that must have watched his past fights, in shitty quality. Bad illegal streams I guess..

I don’t like the Khabib/Mendes comparison. Khabib is way bigger, stronger and has a better ground game. The guy is a different animal..

Conor is also way stronger at 55. He never looked better against Eddie. No more bad weight cuts, 155 is where he belongs.

Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.

the oversight is conor is ducking khabib and it wont ever happen.

Khabib couldn't take down Laquinta at will. I'm sure Conor's TDD has improved enough to be comparable to Laquinta. As long as he doesn't get too wild with the kicks and actually is carefull not to get taken down he should win.

how can conors tdd get better hiding under his bed.

Back