Marvelous was better than GGG in every aspect

Hagler was my favorite fighter growing up, but the points above are true, Haglers biggest win was Hearns, and this is a perfect example of how styles determine who wins fights. Hearns most times beats Leonard and Duran IMO, but would not beat Hagler. The Hagler vs Duran fight was disappointing, and the Leonard fight was even worse. I'd still favor Hagler to beat GGG at this point, but if GGG fought the guys on Haglers resume I think he'd be undefeated. Only guy I think might beat GGG would be the one guy I think would never beat Hagler... Hearns.

It's easy to jump on GGG after a less-than-stellar performance, but I'm not going to do that.

GGG vs Marvin would still be a dream fight for me and I still think it's a close fight, although I do favor Marvin. Victory would not come easy for either guy.

Both will be remmembered as pussies that never moved up and occasionally challenged welterweights. Atleast G's excuse is that he started out a late age.

The SMW division only came to being late in Haglers career. And it didnt really get glamorous until the early 90s.

So moving up for Hagler wouldve meant going straight to LHW, a 15 pound climb, and Hagler was only 5'9" - 5'10".

What im saying is i think you have to cut him some slack.

Besides... His win over Hearns is one of the single greatest wins any fighter has ever had. Its not just who Hearns was, it was the courage, ferocity, and skill Hagler displayed in that fight.

The SMW division only came to being late in Haglers career. And it didnt really get glamorous until the early 90s.

So moving up for Hagler wouldve meant going straight to LHW, a 15 pound climb, and Hagler was only 5'9" - 5'10".

What im saying is i think you have to cut him some slack.

Besides... His win over Hearns is one of the single greatest wins any fighter has ever had. Its not just who Hearns was, it was the courage, ferocity, and skill Hagler displayed in that fight.
SMH...
rTZtwer.gif

It's never incumbent on a fighter to move up in weight. That's their choice. Otherwise we would be criticizing guys that are big in their existing weight class. For example, Jacobs is a massive middleweight, but he can make the weight so no one should be giving a hard time if he doesn't ever move up in weight. Why should we care if GGG or Hagler never move(d) up in weight? Really? Why go up against guys that will be much bigger than them? I mean, it's cool if they want to, but no one should expect it from a fighter to do that.

Hagler was a great middleweight. Yes some of his bigger names were smaller fighters, but some of his lesser wins were actually pretty solid wins. He was that good.

Golovkin isn't some chump either and he isn't some over-sized MW. He's beaten good fighters. Great? Not necessarily when we look at some guys like Stevens. But Murray arguably beat Martinez and Lemieux (especially after that recent fight against Stevens) is good too (and a former champ fwiw). Jacobs was his best win and it was close and rightfully so.

Both guys fighting? I think Hagler wins, but Golovkin isn't some scrub. I didn't think he would out-jab Jacobs so much and so often. He surprises me in good and bad ways. Overall both are memorable and we shouldn't dump on these legit guys that put a lot on the line when they step through the ropes while we get drunk and bicker from keyboards (including myself a lot here :))

In a fight, Hagler would roll over Golovkin. No way does anyone survive a shootout with Hagler.

It's never incumbent on a fighter to move up in weight. That's their choice
Some of you are slow today... except for @Rico
Hagler is the arguable MW GOAT.
I

Golovkin isn't some chump either and he isn't some over-sized MW. He's beaten good fighters. Great? Not necessarily when we look at some guys like Stevens. But Murray arguably beat Martinez and Lemieux (especially after that recent fight against Stevens) is good too (and a former champ fwiw). Jacobs was his best win and it was close and rightfully so.

Both guys fighting? I think Hagler wins, but Golovkin isn't some scrub. I didn't think he would out-jab Jacobs so much and so often. He surprises me in good and bad ways. Overall both are memorable and we shouldn't dump on these legit guys that put a lot on the line when they step through the ropes while we get drunk and bicker from keyboards (including myself a lot here :))
Regardless of how tyson-esque that ko was, stevens is not his best performance. Lem dropping N'Dam so many times and walking through him was imo, cause that guy is supposed to be really polished boxing skills. That was alot more impressive, thus because GGG winning the Lem fight purely by jabbing for 8 rounds to prove a point shouldn't have made you that much surprised his out-boxing skills.

Personally, I think if Danny didn't take advantage of the weight cutting rules, GGG would have TKOed him.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree with that. Now if you had said Marvelous was a better boxer than Conor McGregor, then you'd have a problem here for sure.

Personally, I think if Danny didn't take advantage of the weight cutting rules.

what rules are you talking about?

the one that says you must weight in at the weight you are fighting at?

i'm pretty sure he did that

You either don't follow boxing, or just playing dumb regarding to what I'm really referring to. both reasons have fanboyism behind them.
Unlike GGG, he did not do the same day weigh-in of the IBF. lil factors like this can be a pretty big deciding deal on the world championship level. So yeah, Danny had an advantage over his opponent. Should I explain what dehydration is too?

EDIT: Hell the thread with the user that actually works with Danny face to face posted about it here too: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ibf-belt-not-on-the-line-for-ggg-vs-jacobs.3494773/

Last edited:
You either don't follow boxing, or just playing dumb regarding to what I'm really referring to. both reasons have fanboyism behind them.
Unlike GGG, he did not do the same day weigh-in of the IBF. lil factors like this can be a pretty big deciding deal on the world championship level. So yeah, Danny had an advantage over his opponent. Should I explain what dehydration is too?

So what? He didn't want the IBF title. Golovkin did. You're implying that something nefarious happened.

So what? He didn't want the IBF title. Golovkin did. You're implying that something nefarious happened.
It gives an advantage in the fight... Why are you pretending it's not. I'm not implying anything "nefarious", don't be silly.

It gives an advantage in the fight... Why are you pretending it's not. I'm not implying anything "nefarious", don't be silly.
It doesn't. Golovkin chose for the title to be on the line for him and Jacobs didn't. He weighed below 160 for the official weigh in, the one that matters.

Hagler was my favorite fighter growing up, but the points above are true, Haglers biggest win was Hearns, and this is a perfect example of how styles determine who wins fights. Hearns most times beats Leonard and Duran IMO, but would not beat Hagler. The Hagler vs Duran fight was disappointing, and the Leonard fight was even worse. I'd still favor Hagler to beat GGG at this point, but if GGG fought the guys on Haglers resume I think he'd be undefeated. Only guy I think might beat GGG would be the one guy I think would never beat Hagler... Hearns.
I'm not so sure. Like I said it's debatable that Hagler is the best but he's certainly top 5. GGG appeared somewhat stymied by Jacobs and most of his other opponents weren't first rate.

At this point I'd say Hagler is clearly better. I also give Duran a lot of credit for making that fight close. It was one the signature performances, even in defeat, of an even better all time great. Fighting past his prime and against a much bigger opponent.

Against Leonard I thought Hagler gave away the first three rounds and Ray stole some rounds late with flashy punches. Leonard also negotiated the advantage in size of the ring, weight of the gloves, number of rounds, etc...

It doesn't. Golovkin chose for the title to be on the line for him and Jacobs didn't. He weighed below 160 for the official weigh in, the one that matters.
... You replied to that comment with the video u obviously didn't watch in it, right?
DANNY HIMSELF SAID ITS AN ADVANTAGE AND HE DID NOT WANT TO BE RESTRICTED TO IT AND TO STAY HYDRATED!

... You replied to that comment with the video u obviously didn't watch in it, right?
DANNY HIMSELF SAID ITS AN ADVANTAGE AND HE DID NOT WANT TO BE RESTRICTED TO IT AND TO STAY HYDRATED!
Doesn't matter. He made the official weight at the official weigh in. It was an advantage because he's good at cutting weight, nothing more.

Is that why he lost to the Mongoose and almost lost to a LW?

If Golovkin lost to a fighter like Willie Monroe in today's era, he'd be banished back to Kazakhstan.

Yes but those weights are taken a day or day and a half beforehand to give fighters a chance to rehydrate (gain weight).

Back