Opinion Mark Thompson, the English gentleman who wants to turn around CNN

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
“. . . the London-born son of an Irish mother and British father, was presented with an irresistible opportunity to lead CNN, an esteemed news network that has been grappling with an identity crisis, declining viewership, and subpar financial results.”

He bet on quality and a diversified product with news and information on real estate, travel, entertainment, hobbies, cooking, product reviews and podcasts.

“Warner Bros Discovery CEO Zaslav has chosen to invest in a more neutral and focused CNN, dedicated to straight news delivery. During Chris Licht’s short and chaotic tenure at CNN, the network failed to attract the moderate viewers and even lost some who enjoyed a more confrontational approach.”

ElPais

CNN has been horrible for years, relying on outrage, like a 90’s daytime, all while promoting pseudo-agenda based news. Not quite MSNBC levels of hackery, with a bunch of random conservatives to break things up, but biased, loud, and something for airport televisions. Just missing the strippers.

It will be difficult to grab onto viewers in the splintered streaming world. Do you really need CNN? I checked out their streaming tab on Max, and it’s fine. The same old CNN you’ll remember from years ago: endless Wolf Blitzer interrupted by a newish face.

Anyway CNN can get you back? Or are you done with them/done with news in general?

"...even lost some who enjoyed a more confrontational approach.”

Is this a true statement? I thought he was fired due to his staff wanting him gone, not due to falling ratings.

They're a thousand times more truthful and accurate than Fox, why target CNN?

<Dany07>

Let's review the stories CNN pushed on idiots to believe and repeat.

Jussie Smollett
Bubba Wallace garage pull
Covington kids
Kavanaugh rape
Trump pee tape
Covid lab leak was a conspiracy theory
Border agents whipped migrants.
Steele Dossier
Russian bounties on US soldiers in Afghanistan
Trump said drinking bleach would fight covid
Hunter Biden's laptop was Russian disinformation
Muslim travel ban
Trump built cages for migrant kids
Trump tax cuts benefited only the rich.
Michael Avenatti
Trump used teargas to clear a crowd for a bible photo
Don't say gay was in a bill
Ivermectin is a horse dewormer and not for humans
Mostly peaceful protests
BYU students hurled racist insults at Duke volleyball player
Trump overpowered secret service for wheel of The Beast
Covid vaccine stops spread of covid
Mask on small children

I get it, you have a crush on Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, and Brian Selter.

are they? they were running non stop fake news the moment trump landed.

and they lied nonstop about covid and all the rest (so many to list, @Whippy McGee had a killer list going of the hoaxes).

they are basically the propaganda arm of the democrats. if the new guy wants a more neutral network, he's gonna have to ditch the entire fake news machine there, which might mean tons of firing and a complete rework. that name used to be so respected in the 90s but a platform of trump hatred and fakenews tanked it.

<Dany07>

Jussie Smollett
Covington kids
Kavanaugh rape
Trump pee tape
Steele Dossier
Muslim travel ban
Michael Avenatti
Mostly peaceful protests
Mask on small children

I don't actually like CNN or watch them at all. Like ever. I look at news aggregators and zoom in on local reporting whenever possible.

I just think it's ridiculous that you guys whine about CNN while ignoring how much worse the conservative networks are, it's the height of hypocrisy. Fox is being sued for billions as a result of their lies and yet all you do is complain about CNN.

Your list is terrible, by the way. I have a hard time believing it was compiled by an adult.

are they? they were running non stop fake news the moment trump landed.

and they lied nonstop about covid and all the rest (so many to list, @Whippy McGee had a killer list going of the hoaxes).

they are basically the propaganda arm of the democrats. if the new guy wants a more neutral network, he's gonna have to ditch the entire fake news machine there, which might mean tons of firing and a complete rework. that name used to be so respected in the 90s but a platform of trump hatred and fakenews tanked it.

You're lost.

<Dany07>

Jussie Smollett
Covington kids
Kavanaugh rape
Trump pee tape
Steele Dossier
Muslim travel ban
Michael Avenatti
Mostly peaceful protests
Mask on small children

there it is!

You're lost.

no sir, i'm fine. they've pushed hard democrat talking points for almost a decade now at least. it's hard to take them seriously. you have a right to complain about fox or whoever, but the right doesn't control media the way the left does, it's why the left's annihilating them in political warfare.

no sir, i'm fine. they've pushed hard democrat talking points for almost a decade now at least. it's hard to take them seriously. you have a right to complain about fox or whoever, but the right doesn't control media the way the left does, it's why the left's annihilating them in political warfare.

It's a ridiculous position.

There are left leaning networks but Trump had Fox anchors on the campaign trail with him in support, which technically used to be illegal.

You complain about liberal media but all the media money is behind conservatives, because of course it is.

You freebase partisan news. I don't. MMM is just a starting point for me, canaries in a coal mine. There are certain YouTube channels I trust but even then I don't assume they're right, and they include sources. They've been wrong plenty of times.

If I had to pick one person I really trust it would be Mark Agee. He's an amateur and not even a journalist but I can't think of anyone who is as plugged in as him to issues in real time. He's super left and you'd hate him, but he has a great big brain and he uses it for good.

You need to get outside of your bubble, you barely sound human these days.

The thread is about CNN, you clown. It's ok to admit they've been comically dishonest and partisan, their own CEO is admitting it ffs, but you can't and still feel the need to white knight and deflect and "but but but faux news, maaaaan"?

Nobody on here even watches fox. In case you didn't know, TS is on the left, and he admits they're horrible, but for some reason you feel the need to deflect to "why can't we just scream about 'faux news' instead.

It's a ridiculous position.

There are left leaning networks but Trump had Fox anchors on the campaign trail with him in support, which technically used to be illegal.

You complain about liberal media but all the media money is behind conservatives, because of course it is.

You freebase partisan news. I don't. MMM is just a starting point for me, canaries in a coal mine. There are certain YouTube channels I trust but even then I don't assume they're right, and they include sources. They've been wrong plenty of times.

If I had to pick one person I really trust it would be Mark Agee. He's an amateur and not even a journalist but I can't think of anyone who is as plugged in as him to issues in real time. He's super left and you'd hate him, but he has a great big brain and he uses it for good.

You need to get outside of your bubble, you barely sound human these days.

i barely sound human these days? wow...

look at this partial list:

Jussie Smollett
Covington kids
Kavanaugh rape
Trump pee tape
Steele Dossier
Muslim travel ban
Michael Avenatti
Mostly peaceful protests
Mask on small children

they lie to us 24/7, how could any normal person look at these hoaxes and have any trust left? i'm curious, how does being mistrustful of fakenews make someone less human?

Honestly, I still like CNN when they're not going crazy. During the height of their TDS, I'd see some of their reporting in the late/early hours of the day, and be like "Damn, professional journalists do still work at CNN."

Thing is, their neutral reporting doesn't do much for ratings, nor does their unhinged activist shit. At the end of the day, I think it's very hard to get people interested in a 24/7 news station in this day and age. They're one of the few lone dinosaurs left after the meteor hit. They're not gonna turn anything around, no matter what they do. Every second of the day, they're getting out maneuvered by people with phones and a mic. Good luck competing with that.

They gotta go full "History Channel", and just start covering monsters and ghosts n' shit.

i barely sound human these days? wow...

look at this partial list:

Jussie Smollett
Covington kids
Kavanaugh rape
Trump pee tape
Steele Dossier
Muslim travel ban
Michael Avenatti
Mostly peaceful protests
Mask on small children

they lie to us 24/7, how could any normal person look at these hoaxes and have any trust left? i'm curious, how does being mistrustful of fakenews make someone less human?

Some of those items are so bad you should be ashamed posting them, conservative spin at it's worst.

What do they have even have now with Cuomo and Lemonade gone? Just Van Jones race baiting?

LOL. Guy who literally follows Antifa on Twitter, and posts their tweets as news sources.

Yes, you're very level headed.

When you guys started foaming at the mouth about them, I looked around. I may have posted some of their tweets to add color to a story, but news source?

Back