Manny Pacquiao vs Adrien Broner - January 19

I see your point and fyi i hate broner.I dont think he deserves a big payday but im looking at as a safe fight for pac but one that would offer some challenges. but if pac loses we can all be like good thing he didnt fight someone better. I really dont want the elite to get their hands on pac right now until i see him fight one of the these younger guys.

Who do you think pac should fight instead?

Oh, Pac can fight whoever he wants. I'm really not bashing him over his choice, as much as I'm just saying that Broner doesn't deserve it. But Manny could fight a 2-legged donkey for all I care. He already ran the gauntlet, it's cool for him to start grabbing his farewell money.

I just really don't like Adrien. I don't like him as a person, I don't like his style in the ring, I don't like the performances he turns in, nothing. He has no redeeming qualities. Khan is at least slightly less detestable, and there's kind of a story there with him and Manny. It would be a better fight, too. Broner is going to spend this entire bout trying to land a counter left hook or right hand.

Manny today is still better technically that a lot of the guys Broner has lost to. He hits just as hard, too. I just don't see how Broner even approaches winning and I don't see an exciting fight either. I'd almost rather watch Manny give the fight and payday to a legit cab driver. I'd bet the dollars are better spent that way.

Does the WBA really have a three-tiered belt system now? I defend the sanctioning bodies as occasionally being slightly more than pointless and parasitic organizations, but that's ridiculous.

Does the WBA really have a three-tiered belt system now? I defend the sanctioning bodies as occasionally being slightly more than pointless and parasitic organizations, but that's ridiculous.
they have for a while. At BW they have the "super champ" (Burnett), the "regular" champ (Inoue) and an interim champ (Reymart Gaballo). I think they have four at Cruiser, since they have Lebedev (champion in recess), Usyk (super), Shumenov (regular) and Goularian (interim).

they have for a while. At BW they have the "super champ" (Burnett), the "regular" champ (Inoue) and an interim champ (Reymart Gaballo). I think they have four at Cruiser, since they have Lebedev (champion in recess), Usyk (super), Shumenov (regular) and Goularian (interim).

I was actually misunderstanding. I thought they created a separate section from regular (as in a regular, normal, then super). It's still ridiculous, just not quite as ridiculous as I thought.

I was actually misunderstanding. I thought they created a separate section from regular (as in a regular, normal, then super). It's still ridiculous, just not quite as ridiculous as I thought.
I think it's funny that each sanctioning body has a really distinct shittinness unique to it. The WBA has its multiple belts, the WBC takes forever to enforce mandatories and is known to favor Mexican fighters, the WBO does literally anything Arum says and the IBF is so stuck up its own asshole that it will sabotage big fights to see its shitty mandatory fight a meaningless fight with a champion who will be stripped otherwise. Really adds a little flavor to the absurd corruption of boxing politics.

Focused Broner could win, but Focused Broner doesn't exist anymore, Maidana punched him out of him.

I got $50 on Broner to get arrested one more time before the Pac fight then go on to lose by UD.

Lol at broner doing anything except getting maidana’d 1 more time for a nice payday.

Pedestrian foot work, defense he’s barely improved over the last few years, still backs up in straight lines, when he can’t bully 135ers or out hand speed them, or fights anyone his size and speed, yeah... good luck with that.

Fighting a guy who is faster, has infinitely better footwork, and is gonna be throwing shit both hands from odd angles? At 147....

Pac needs to really thank Al for the pre floyd sacrifice.
In this specific case, the fighter post fight should be 100% sincere in appreciation to uncle Al in the obligatory ‘I’d like to thank Al Haymon’ post fight shout out.

I give him the same chance I give the Broncos defense to holding the Chiefs Avengeresque offense this week to under 17 points and winning the game.

Actually I like those odds better than I do broner hearing the final bell.
He may do better than Lucas, (doubt it, bad matchup for him) and that’s a moral V for him.

Last edited:
Focused Broner could win, but Focused Broner doesn't exist anymore, Maidana punched him out of him.

I said before that I think Maidana knocked the "fuck you" out of Broner. He had it in that fight. Even when he was getting dropped, he was still coming back and giving a good account of himself. He kept trying to win that fight.

But since then when he's down he just stays down (figuratively) and hopes for something to happen to change the tide. But he doesn't adjust, he doesn't take risks to get back in it. It's almost like the Maidana fight made him think that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, so when it looks like the win is going to cause him to take some punishment he decides to play safe and use his "personality" to get another marquee fight.

I guess I can't hate much if that's the case - it's working.

I said before that I think Maidana knocked the "fuck you" out of Broner. He had it in that fight. Even when he was getting dropped, he was still coming back and giving a good account of himself. He kept trying to win that fight.

But since then when he's down he just stays down (figuratively) and hopes for something to happen to change the tide. But he doesn't adjust, he doesn't take risks to get back in it. It's almost like the Maidana fight made him think that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, so when it looks like the win is going to cause him to take some punishment he decides to play safe and use his "personality" to get another marquee fight.

I guess I can't hate much if that's the case - it's working.

There were some extended periods of the Vargas fight where he was actually coming forward and fighting in a way that suits his abilities (very durable, decent hand speed, a good punch selection, and surprisingly good stamina). I don't expect to see it against a guy with Pacquiao's offensive ability, but it seemed like he briefly remembered how to be a decent fighter for awhile against a guy who isn't all that bad. Broner has some good qualities as a fighter, but it's extremely rare that he ever fights in a way that actually emphasizes those qualities. Thinking he's anywhere near similar to Mayweather (he's obviously several levels lower in talent, but they're not even similar in a general sense - Broner should be a come forward fighter who puts his punches together in combination as he doesn't have good feet or much boxing ability) has really hurt his career.

There were some extended periods of the Vargas fight where he was actually coming forward and fighting in a way that suits his abilities (very durable, decent hand speed, a good punch selection, and surprisingly good stamina). I don't expect to see it against a guy with Pacquiao's offensive ability, but it seemed like he briefly remembered how to be a decent fighter for awhile against a guy who isn't all that bad. Broner has some good qualities as a fighter, but it's extremely rare that he ever fights in a way that actually emphasizes those qualities. Thinking he's anywhere near similar to Mayweather (he's obviously several levels lower in talent, but they're not even similar in a general sense - Broner should be a come forward fighter who puts his punches together in combination as he doesn't have good feet or much boxing ability) has really hurt his career.

That's the frustrating thing about him. At one point or another, I've seen him display the qualities of an A+ championship fighter. But I don't think I've ever seen him put them all together at the same time, at least not for a while. He became more about style than substance.

He could absolutely surprise me, dig into his bag of tricks and pull the old Adrien out. But he could've done that in several fights over the last few years and hasn't. I'm not expecting him to do it against Pac, either.

That's the frustrating thing about him. At one point or another, I've seen him display the qualities of an A+ championship fighter. But I don't think I've ever seen him put them all together at the same time, at least not for a while. He became more about style than substance.

He could absolutely surprise me, dig into his bag of tricks and pull the old Adrien out. But he could've done that in several fights over the last few years and hasn't. I'm not expecting him to do it against Pac, either.

I'm not, either, but if he did, it could make for a fun fight. People enjoy Broner/Maidana because he got his comeuppance, but aside from that it was actually a very good fight precisely because he was trying to win until the final bell. Broner has shown time and again that there is no reason to have faith in him, though.

I'm not, either, but if he did, it could make for a fun fight. People enjoy Broner/Maidana because he got his comeuppance, but aside from that it was actually a very good fight precisely because he was trying to win until the final bell. Broner has shown time and again that there is no reason to have faith in him, though.

If I recall correctly, he was trying to win after the 11th round bell too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back