Looking to get into Whiskey

Oban 14 and Laphroaig 12 great whiskeys to try
Not too expensive but oh so delicious
Peaty and smooth
Laphroaig is great but for a whiskey noob it’s fucking real peaty. Might get turned off. Never had Oban 14.

I enjoyed Gin. Every other spirit tastes like poison to me. Love beer though.
Hendricks gin is my favorite. Nothing I’ve come across compares.

dfkizk.jpg

You're welcome... cheers!
What the Fuck?

I LIVE in Humble, how the fuck did I not know about this?

I disagree, getting drunk is part of it. Or a little tipsy anyway. But there's a reason I buy nice whiskey (when I can afford it) and try new ones, rather than buying some Tesco own brand and knocking it back. Or buying something and mixing it with coke. Its because I like it. I like the 'ritual' of pouring and nosing the whiskey, I like the smells and I like the taste. Pretty much always with some water to open up the flavours. Nothing 'big man' about it, just something I like.

I also like craft beer, and I also like standard shit like Guinness and Smithwicks

Speak for yourself pleb.

<Moves>

As a Foodie i get almost as much pleasure for the complexity and differences in various alcohols. Whether beer, wine or hard liquor I love them all for very different reasons. A good sipping alcohol, with no mix can be a truly heavenly thing.

Both of you seem like you really enjoy it. I can appreciate that. I really enjoy craft beer.

But like I said: Both cultures have people (and perhaps even a majority of people) who are faking it. I would drink my favorite beers if they were non-alcoholic. I enjoy the flavor more than the buzz. But a lot of people are out here downing IPA's because it gets them "there" quicker than a Bud.

What the Fuck?

I LIVE in Humble, how the fuck did I not know about this?
You have to check out the distillery. Good guy and family man who dedicates 100% to his craft. It's the best whiskey I've tried. Hands down

If you enjoy whiskey, by all means.

I think, like craft beer (which I thoroughly enjoy), most people who "enjoy" liquor are lying.
I feel this way about craft beers, some of that shit is horrid and I think people are drinking it to be smug and cool.

While I’ve got miller lite in the fridge, and several different good bourbons , scotches and whiskeys in the pantry. (Plus tequilas, gins,vodkas, etc etc.

If you enjoy whiskey, by all means.

I think, like craft beer (which I thoroughly enjoy), most people who "enjoy" liquor are lying.
I don't know about that one sir. I sure enjoy mixed drinks with liquor.

And as much as i like craft beer, i do like scotch as well. And you can definitely tell the difference between cheap ones and good ones. Just like beer, you get a cheap ass natural light or some corona, and compare it to a good IPA or a good hefeweizen and it's night and day.

Both of you seem like you really enjoy it. I can appreciate that. I really enjoy craft beer.

But like I said: Both cultures have people (and perhaps even a majority of people) who are faking it. I would drink my favorite beers if they were non-alcoholic. I enjoy the flavor more than the buzz. But a lot of people are out here downing IPA's because it gets them "there" quicker than a Bud.
Speaking of beers, have you ever had “Live” beer? Drank this in Siberia, apparently it’s still fermenting? Was pretty good

You have to check out the distillery. Good guy and family man who dedicates 100% to his craft. It's the best whiskey I've tried. Hands down
Which bottle is the best whiskey you’ve tried and what are you comparing it to? I don’t see anything with some age on it.

Speaking of beers, have you ever had “Live” beer? Drank this in Siberia, apparently it’s still fermenting? Was pretty good

I haven't ever had "live" beer. I feel like it would be entirely too sweet.

As someone who used to drink lot of whiskey: All liquor tastes like shit. You take shots to get drunk or pretend to enjoy sipping it because it's "manly" or whatever.

No amount of smokey nut flavor covers up the harsh overtones of alcohol. High end liquor exists for guys who feel like an expensive bottle gives them an extra inch.
Thank you. I've not drunk a lot of whiskey, but have been trying to learn how to appreciate it. So far all my learning has taken me to the same conclusion as you. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Worry not, my friend, whiskey operates the Soviet Russian way.

Thank you. I've not drunk a lot of whiskey, but have been trying to learn how to appreciate it. So far all my learning has taken me to the same conclusion as you. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

There isn't a liquor on this planet that hasn't turned me off with a distinct "rubbing alcohol" flavor. Yuck.

I love craft beers. If beer was not the biggest bain to me staying in shape I would drink different craft beers most nights. Sadly instead beer is a rare treat. I am not into getting drunk. I've only been drunk a handful of times in my life. I am usually still under the driving limit most nights I drink so it is not about the alcohol content so much for me.

I feel this way about craft beers, some of that shit is horrid and I think people are drinking it to be smug and cool.

While I’ve got miller lite in the fridge, and several different good bourbons , scotches and whiskeys in the pantry. (Plus tequilas, gins,vodkas, etc etc.
Ahh man. There is actually more variety in beer than any other alcohol. Far more than wine which is second. And while I certainly believe in 'too each there own' I struggle to see guys who drink Miller, Coors light, etc as beer lovers. I am not trying to be a beer snob but basically you want the appearance of beer with the most minimal beer flavours possible. Again there is nothing wrong with liking that but that is like saying "i like white rice and only white rice and therefore am a foodie and you are a snob if you say otherwise." White rice is food but it is the absolute most bland and least complex side of that category that is made purposely to be bland so it has not flavours to offend anyone.

Glenmorangie 10 or Glenfiddich 12 are perfect starters if you are looking to get into scotch whisky.

Tullamore Dew if you're looking to get into Irish whiskey, probably the best at it's price point.

None are complex, but at the price point really good whiskeys. You should always put at least a little drop of water into whiskey in my experience, opens up the smells and flavours. The specific amount will depend on the whiskey and your taste.

+1 for Tully!!!!

This thread made me just go hit my top shelf and pour myself a neat

https://www.arlingtonwine.net/images/sites/arlingtonwine/labels/:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:-coffey-grain-whisky_1.jpg

Thanks TS.
<GinJuice>

As someone who used to drink lot of whiskey: All liquor tastes like shit. You take shots to get drunk or pretend to enjoy sipping it because it's "manly" or whatever.

No amount of smokey nut flavor covers up the harsh overtones of alcohol. High end liquor exists for guys who feel like an expensive bottle gives them an extra inch.

Scotch is such bullshit.

Who wants to relax with the flavor of an old leather jacket that was sitting on a chair in a smokers club for 20 years?

Laphroaig is great but for a whiskey noob it’s fucking real peaty. Might get turned off. Never had Oban 14.

Hendricks gin is my favorite. Nothing I’ve come across compares.

I love Bombay Sapphire East

Back