Living with CTE: Gary Goodridge

I don't know what everyone thought was going to happen when you get punched in the head for a living. It's a sad story, but we all knew how it would turn out.

That’s undoubtedly true. The 10-count is the main factor
That was just propaganda to get the sport legalized and accepted after the dark ages of the late 1990s.

It's amusing that it stuck around. It would be a shame if young fighters actually believe that though.

"In boxing, guys are given 10 seconds to recover. In MMA, they're instantly beaten unconscious. You see, MMA is much safer than boxing."

Last edited:
Anyone figure out why Matt Hughes drove his truck in front of that train yet?

UFC has huge CTE issues coming, they always try to pass fighter health off on the commission.

giphy.gif

It is sad, but it's the reality several athletes will face down the road in any sort of contact sport.

Football players are probably the worst I would say.

I have a buddy going through this right now from playing hockey and getting his bell rung so many times all those years...he's a fairly young guy and already experiencing CTE.

I wonder how this poor bastard is doing - and nice stoppage BJM.

I wonder if they'll start stopping fights much earlier now like they do in boxing. I thought the McGregor VS. Floyd stoppage was a bit premature, would've liked to see him go out, but when you see shit like this it makes you reconsider.

A lot of UFC fighters will probably go down the same route, specially Diego Sanchez, he needs to stop now.

In the video when asked when the brain damage first started, Goodridge said, "It's like a shark; it sneaks up on you."
In that case, if you're just going off of damage accumulated, wouldn't Diego already have it? He's just waiting for the effects to bite him in the water. If that's the case, fighting more and doing what he loves isn't gonna change anything. The only difference is he might have to take 4 pills a day instead of 3, and he'll get to do what he lives for for a few more years. Phil Baroni talked about that exact thing a while back; someone asked him if he's worried about brain damage with his upcoming fight and he just said, "The damage is already done..."
I'd also like to know what Goodridge's training was like. Bob Sapp got finished more times than Goodridge did, but he has no signs of brain damage, and it's well-known that Bob trains very safely. That probably says something about what you put your body through while training being more important than what happens in the fight.

In a sport like this its expected. Unless someone has godlike defense like mayweather in MMA. Most will have some type of brain trauma

In the video when asked when the brain damage first started, Goodridge said, "It's like a shark; it sneaks up on you."
In that case, if you're just going off of damage accumulated, wouldn't Diego already have it? He's just waiting for the effects to bite him in the water. If that's the case, fighting more and doing what he loves isn't gonna change anything. The only difference is he might have to take 4 pills a day instead of 3, and he'll get to do what he lives for for a few more years. Phil Baroni talked about that exact thing a while back; someone asked him if he's worried about brain damage with his upcoming fight and he just said, "The damage is already done..."
I'd also like to know what Goodridge's training was like. Bob Sapp got finished more times than Goodridge did, but he has no signs of brain damage, and it's well-known that Bob trains very safely. That probably says something about what you put your body through while training being more important than what happens in the fight.

The effects are cumulative, the more you fight, the more damage you get, the more severe CTE you get, including more symptoms and earlier diagnosis . There is no cure for that, the medications they take is for another form of dementia that affects elderly patients but not for CTE ( they use because there is no other alternative ).

Ya gotta get in & get out of this sport.

It's amazing how some of the OG's are still hanging in there. Hope they're okay.

He is a warrior. He took some unncessary fights later in his career.

How much can be attributed to age?
Hi is like 50. Not too old if you compare him to some other legends who got out of the sport on time.
He lost like 20 mma and k-1 fights in a row later in his career. A lot of unnecessary damage.

Back