Lets talk fishing

My wife and I will eat a few pike and bass during the season, but we mostly eat walleye and panfish. We keep it simple since they're delicious, but have a subtle taste.

In the oven at 350 or 375 depending on the thickness. Salt and pepper. Sometime a dab of butter on top.
That's how I cook most fish. Serve on a bed of rice and some vegetables. Perfect.

Pike get a bad rep because of the bones. I stumbled on a youtube video showing the 5-filets technique and been eating pike ever since.
That’s what I use. I don’t keep much in general but if I do it’s mainly from saltwater because in my opinion salt fish are much superior to freshwater.

The pikes cousin (chain pickerel) which are extremely prevalent here get a bad rep too but I think they are fun and heard they taste good too.

IMG-5074.jpg

Good seeing all the activity here in the fishing thread. How do you all like to cook them up?
Depends on what species and where they come from. I like doing striped bass greek style with lemon, garlic, parsley, olive oil, and dill. Baked.

Flounder I’ll bread and fry or do a ceviche.

Trout I like to pan sear with the descaled skin on to get it crispy. It pairs well with blistered tomatoes, fresh ricotta, balsamic reduction or saba, and maybe some fresh basil.

Panfish I typically marinade in hot sauce for 30 minutes (not much longer or the fish will degrade). Then I bread it and fry it and make tacos. Typically I make a slaw to throw on top.

That’s what I use. I don’t keep much in general but if I do it’s mainly from saltwater because in my opinion salt fish are much superior to freshwater.

The pikes cousin (chain pickerel) which are extremely prevalent here get a bad rep too but I think they are fun and heard they taste good too.

IMG-5074.jpg
Nice fish.

They do taste quite good. I don't keep much either. It mostly depends on my wife's mood. When we go to Oneida lake, the lake is clean and she will want to eat fish 3 meals a day.

Nice fish.

They do taste quite good. I don't keep much either. It mostly depends on my wife's mood. When we go to Oneida lake, the lake is clean and she will want to eat fish 3 meals a day.
I’m mainly a sport fisherman. I like catching them and watching them swim off. People are always confused as to why I release because I regularly catch flounder, striper, and tautog which are considered top notch eating. The ocean is right up the street so I can get a meal whenever as long as it’s the right season.

I’ll post some of the meals I’ve made since people here are very interested in the eating aspects. I mainly like flexing my big fish catches lol.

My entire family loves catching, cooking and eating it. They go buy fancy lures, and new materials and go out all the time. I really don’t give a fuck about it. I also think fish is gross that probably doesn’t help.

My entire family loves catching, cooking and eating it. They go buy fancy lures, and new materials and go out all the time. I really don’t give a fuck about it. I also think fish is gross that probably doesn’t help.
Did you ever give it a chance?

Walleye closes tomorrow for 6 weeks, so I went finish tonight. The water is in the 40s and I didn't expect much. I was in for a surprise. 8 walleye, 5 of them overslot with my biggest walleye ever at a bit over 26 inches.

zzzGGG.jpg

Back