Lets talk fishing

This was my first year not doing any frog fishing. I got too caught up in fluke fishing this summer. I used to frog fish obsessively and got pretty damn good at it. The trailer hook isn’t necessary.

If you ever get a chance to go for snakeheads….that is frog fishing at its finest. You can find northern snakeheads in PA, NJ, Virginia, and Maryland. Bullseye snakeheads in Florida. They are mean and fight super hard. I’ve seen them break off 65# braid. Bowfins are similar enough though if you can get them to eat frogs, although their mouth is bony so a mean hookset and good pressure is needed.

I am not far from Pittsburgh, so nothing like that here. I have seen bowfin in Wilmington, but I couldn’t get them to bite. I use the trailers to make sure I get a hook in them. Imo it doesn’t mess with the action of the frog and is just a nice extra chance to ensure a hook-up. I have used without and I miss too many strikes. Although, that frog fish from Carolina this year was without a trailer hook if I recall. I think I lost the one I was using a few casts prior when it got tangled in a cypress tree above me-it’s tight casting in a lot of places around this lake.

But yeah, other than that one (over 5) and one other decent bass during the first kayak bass tourney of the year that was 18.75 inches and 4 lbs, my year sucked. They just weren’t hitting, the weather with really heavy rain ruined a few weekends that I could have fished-the last one, the rain started while I was 30 mins into a 45 min travel time to the lake at 5am and when I pulled down to the ramp, I watched clouds of mud flowing into the lake and I called it before it began. Then, I got injured at work dealing with an extremely violent patient and dislocated my shoulder and that ended my year in late summer and I completely missed the fall bite. What’s funny about the kayak tourney is that I helped plan it. A guy reached out to me and said that he saw all the big fish I post on a local forum and he wanted to set up a tournament with me. I told him my work schedule and told him it had to be on Saturdays because I work Sundays. And he got it backwards, so I was only able to fish a few of them and even then, a few hours of each since I have a bad back and can only sit and fish for about 3-4 hours. I was in the lead when I left and it lasted for a few hours, but I came in second that day.

Sunfish: the panfish?

In Minnesota, it was probably a bluegill. You can throw a hook in just about every body of water in MN, and pull out a bluegill.
They have pumpkinseeds and greens as well, but there not as common. I think there’s some small pockets of orange throated down by Minneapolis as well, but they might not be native.

I was supposed to pick One Memorable Moment Fishing this year, but heres Two . . . CHEERS!

A little SoCal Winter Weather wont stop me from finding some Fishies . . .

Good on ya mate. Too cold to fish the rivers where I am. The close ones haven't iced over yet, but I hate the line getting stuck to the guides all the time. And there's the bushwacking river banks in the snow to get to the river part. And I dislike ice fishing up in the mountains immensely. Hopefully there'll be a break in the weather here soon.

Did a charter up at the beach just after Xmas, good haul. That's 10 Whiting (best eating fish down here IMO), 2 flathead (up there also) and a snapper, ate great for the next day and a bit that's for sure.

fish.jpg

So, I went fishing the other day, and it was a disaster. I picked a lure like I was dressing up for a fish prom. Spent hours waiting, but the fish were probably watching Netflix.

I hooked a seaweed bouquet, got more knots in my line than a bad relationship, and caught a fish 'this big'—if you believe my exaggerated hand gestures. The only trophy I got was sunburn.

But hey, fishing's like dating. You try your best, but sometimes you end up with a seaweed bouquet instead of a catch of the day. And that's when you realize fishing is just an excuse for a lakeside nap. Thank you, and let's hope my dating life isn't as cringy as my fishing trip!

Good on ya mate. Too cold to fish the rivers where I am. The close ones haven't iced over yet, but I hate the line getting stuck to the guides all the time. And there's the bushwacking river banks in the snow to get to the river part. And I dislike ice fishing up in the mountains immensely. Hopefully there'll be a break in the weather here soon.

Ive always wanted to Ice Fish...but in one of those cool ice shacks....lol

Tx for posting. I'll watch it later.

lol at thinking SoCal has a Winter. I'd fish in a t-shirt in that weather.

Yes...we dont have real winters...lol...only wear long sleeve back there cuz the poison ivy is so nasty back there 🤣🤣

Ive always wanted to Ice Fish...but in one of those cool ice shacks....lol
Yes-sir-ee, an ice shack, electric auger and a snowmobile would make the whole experience a little different from my times of walking on the ice and eating shit while dragging a sled with my fishing gear and hand auger. A lot different really. But no money for that carry-on after paying for my other hobbies.

Yes-sir-ee, an ice shack, electric auger and a snowmobile would make the whole experience a little different from my times of walking on the ice and eating shit while dragging a sled with my fishing gear and hand auger. A lot different really. But no money for that carry-on after paying for my other hobbies.
I iced fished only once. We caught a lot of nice brook trout and I liked the experience, but never did it again. It's not for me.

I like being on a lake, chilling, throwing my lures around, drinking a cold beer and hoping a fish will bite. It's so Zen.

I live in Québec so I have to wait until May to do that again. Winter fucking sucks. Throw a few lures for me sherbros who can and post your fishing adventures to get me through Winter.

Just released a bunch more murray cod and silver perch n blue claw yabbies into the dams. ( separate dams because murray cods are pricks lol)

Dear Fellow Fishermen of Sherdog,

I am up for Video of the Year 2024 and dammit i want to WIN!!! If you are NOT too busy today banging 10s, benching teh 275, filling rooms with uppercuts, making millions off crypto, etc can you go to this Video LIKE it and Comment "#9 JangoMike for Video of the Year"

Thanks fellas and Fish On!

Some stripers from this morning. Swim jig was killing it. 10 in total biggest was 24 inches but a bit gut hooked so got him unhooked and back in the water.

Attachments

• 20240316_115754.jpg
    20240316_115754.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_105017.jpg
    20240316_105017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_093341.jpg
    20240316_093341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_072511.jpg
    20240316_072511.jpg