Lets talk fishing

Very nice. Season opens here in like 2 weeks. Can't wait.
Where you at? It's funny because I have only 2 weeks left to fish here in Québec and then it will close until the beginning of May. I'll only be allowed to fish for carp and catfish until then.

We've had a mild winter and I can fish from shore in March this year. The water is at 2.5 Celsius (36 Fahrenheit) though and the fish isn't active. It still feels good to fish and relax on the shore. I can't wait until May for these fat walleyes.

Tight lines, sherbros.

Where you at? It's funny because I have only 2 weeks left to fish here in Québec and then it will close until the beginning of May. I'll only be allowed to fish for carp and catfish until then.

We've had a mild winter and I can fish from shore in March this year. The water is at 2.5 Celsius (36 Fahrenheit) though and the fish isn't active. It still feels good to fish and relax on the shore. I can't wait until May for these fat walleyes.

Tight lines, sherbros.
I'm in Maryland off of the Chesapeake Bay. I go out to western Maryland for trout season because they have some of the biggest trout stocks on the east coast. Got some good Walleye too! Mostly just do rockfish, catfish, and crabbing here at home though.

Would love to come up North for some angling action. Got a cousin who goes up there for work and says there's good hunting/fishing culture. Shit is regulated to hell down here. Game Wardens treat you like fucking criminals.

I'm in Maryland off of the Chesapeake Bay. I go out to western Maryland for trout season because they have some of the biggest trout stocks on the east coast. Got some good Walleye too! Mostly just do rockfish, catfish, and crabbing here at home though.

Would love to come up North for some angling action. Got a cousin who goes up there for work and says there's good hunting/fishing culture. Shit is regulated to hell down here. Game Wardens treat you like fucking criminals.
Some game wardens are fucking morons. NY State, a place I fish often, doesn't have dedicated conservation officers. Regular police officers do the job and many of them act like twats. They try to make you feel guilty even though everything is in order. It's strange.

My dad was a conservation officer in Québec for over 30 years and he loved interacting with hunters and fishermen. He knew the vast majority of them were lawful and respected them.

Some game wardens are fucking morons. NY State, a place I fish often, doesn't have dedicated conservation officers. Regular police officers do the job and many of them act like twats. They try to make you feel guilty even though everything is in order. It's strange.

My dad was a conservation officer in Québec for over 30 years and he loved interacting with hunters and fishermen. He knew the vast majority of them were lawful and respected them.
Can completely relate to this. I have retired GW in my family as well. Good people back in the day but the culture has just changed so much. Bureaucracy has kinda killed the human element. I'm sure there's still good ones but most of the fuckers are just dying to write you a citation.

Can completely relate to this. I have retired GW in my family as well. Good people back in the day but the culture has just changed so much. Bureaucracy has kinda killed the human element. I'm sure there's still good ones but most of the fuckers are just dying to write you a citation.

Surprisingly here in California Game Wardens are usually still avid Fisherman & Hunters. They are very thorough tho so you gotta be on your shit. I take some of them fishing often.

However, the people who usually manage the water itself (Municipal Water Boards etc) dont give a shit about the fishing. They just want to play politics and sell water rights. They wil do shit like sell off & drop the water levels 25ft in the middle of spawn and kill off a potential generation of fish. Rather than wait a few weeks.

Surprisingly here in California Game Wardens are usually still avid Fisherman & Hunters. They are very thorough tho so you gotta be on your shit. I take some of them fishing often.

However, the people who usually manage the water itself (Municipal Water Boards etc) dont give a shit about the fishing. They just want to play politics and sell water rights. They wil do shit like sell off & drop the water levels 25ft in the middle of spawn and kill off a potential generation of fish. Rather than wait a few weeks.
That's quite surprising. Enjoy it while you got it bro. The government will eventually fuck it up sooner or later.

How do your seasons work? Here it can be pretty wide open but certain places & species get regulated specifically
It's pretty terrible in MD in general. They stock 2 or 3 times every couple of weeks but they've slowly taken away all the good trout spots. Gotta go all the way to western MD which is a beautiful place to fish but everybody and their mom goes there now because it's the last bastion. First come first serve kinda thing. It sucks.

Last edited:
20240317_150517.jpg20240317_140921.jpg20240317_102846.jpgIMG_20240317_080403.jpgIMG_20240317_202534.jpg

Was out of town for work again. So we did a little surf fishing(first time fishing in the ocean) caught a few whiting.
Then we booked a charter on Sunday. Couldn't name all the different species if I tried lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_202534.jpg
    IMG_20240317_202534.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 1035320View attachment 1035321View attachment 1035322View attachment 1035323View attachment 1035319

Was out of town for work again. So we did a little surf fishing(first time fishing in the ocean) caught a few whiting.
Then we booked a charter on Sunday. Couldn't name all the different species if I tried lol.
Congrats! Must have been awesome. What's the fish who gave you the most interesting fight?

Did you put the squid back in the water? (no judging)

Congrats! Must have been awesome. What's the fish who gave you the most interesting fight?

Did you put the squid back in the water? (no judging)
I caught a pretty good size Toadfish. He fought hard, tossed him back though. The captain that took us on the charter actually kept the octopus. Said it was the first time he ever saw one get caught on hook and line. I don't eat them, so I would have been fine with him going back lol. The best fight out all the fish was probably the big Red Snapper(my coworker caught him though).
I probably brought in the most keepers, but the other 2 guys both caught bigger fish lol

My wife and I will eat a few pike and bass during the season, but we mostly eat walleye and panfish. We keep it simple since they're delicious, but have a subtle taste.

In the oven at 350 or 375 depending on the thickness. Salt and pepper. Sometime a dab of butter on top.

My wife and I will eat a few pike and bass during the season, but we mostly eat walleye and panfish. We keep it simple since they're delicious, but have a subtle taste.

In the oven at 350 or 375 depending on the thickness. Salt and pepper. Sometime a dab of butter on top.
Pike are underrated table fare. Nice flaky meat and a good yield if you filet em correctly. There’s not many places I’m willing to keep them from around here. They are mostly stocked in dirty rivers.

IMG-5092.jpg
IMG-5093.jpg

My buddy got me a glidebait as a gift. Apparently this thing goes for $200. I can see why. I’ve been getting some really finicky bass to annihilate this on the pause.

Pike are underrated table fare. Nice flaky meat and a good yield if you filet em correctly. There’s not many places I’m willing to keep them from around here. They are mostly stocked in dirty rivers.
Pike get a bad rep because of the bones. I stumbled on a youtube video showing the 5-filets technique and been eating pike ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back