Lennox Lewis is the greatest pound for pound, not Mayweather

Think about it. The only time Lewis lost was because of pure arrogance. He easily avenged the 2 losses he had and beat everybody in the division. His style was fairly dry but he was technically adept with one the best jabs ever. The Vitali fight was stopped because of eye injury, but even if Lewis was down on the cards, it's easy to think that he could have blinded Vitali in an eventual prolongation.

I could see a very good argument for why he is the greatest pound for pound and not Mayweather.

What say you?

Neither.

George Foreman said Lewis was the greatest HW of all time. I don't know if he changed his mind recently, but he did believe that one piont at least.

Foreman wouldve destroyed Lennox

Well considering the OP said best p4p I'd have to say no. BUT arguably the best HW ( at the very least in the discussion) if you put 'em all up against each other in a one man takes it all tournament. Lennox had the tools to beat anyone in history at HW, yes everyone.
So do alot of the greatest HWs. They all had the tools to beat everyone. That's why they are in that discussion.
But hes claiming that when it comes to boxing, no one is/was better than Lennox.
Thats just bullshit.

How are pound for pound estimates possible at all? If we diet Lewis to Mayweathers weight, Lewis would absolutely crush him regardless because of his height and reach advantage build for a much taller guy. It wouldn't even be a fight. David Vs Goliat in height and reach. So how can pound for pound make sense?
You tryna being wacky? You fuckin hack.
"Hey it says pound for pound but what about inch for inch..."
You know what it means you fuckin jackass. Over here acting like you think they get to keep the same reach and height advantage.

I expected you to follow that up with "Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway"
You cosmopolitan cornball.

Didn't Tyson pay to avoid Lewis in the early 90s? I heard that he did.

What is even less discussed is that Lewis denied a guaranteed 13.5 million dollars to fight Tyson in the 90's.

Pound for pound has several meanings.

"Pound for pound
is a term used in combat sports such as boxing[1] or mixed martial arts[2] to reflect an assessment as to who the better fighters are, regardless of size (i.e., regardless of weight class). As these fighters do not compete directly, judging the best fighter pound for pound is subjective, and ratings vary. They may be based on a range of criteria including "quality of opposition", factors such as how exciting the fighter is or how famous they are, or be an attempt to determine who would win if all those ranked were the same size."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_for_pound
Which is what I said, you said the exact opposite, are you trolling?

Foreman wouldve destroyed Lennox
No way. Comeback Foreman is the most overrated HW in boxing history. The guy got outboxed cleanly by Tommy Morrison. Lewis ends him.

Pound for pound has several meanings.

"Pound for pound
is a term used in combat sports such as boxing[1] or mixed martial arts[2] to reflect an assessment as to who the better fighters are, regardless of size (i.e., regardless of weight class). As these fighters do not compete directly, judging the best fighter pound for pound is subjective, and ratings vary. They may be based on a range of criteria including "quality of opposition", factors such as how exciting the fighter is or how famous they are, or be an attempt to determine who would win if all those ranked were the same size."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_for_pound
No, pound for pound rankings were created during the Ray Robinson era because the lower weight classes were overshadowed by the popularity of the HWs. It was a way to measure the achievement of those great fighters who weren't HWs.

The term has been around longer but the actual ranking system was created by Ring magazine.

Its been bastardized into some nonsense so that fans thinks its a ranking of who they believe would beat up who if they were the same size, which is absurd. Wladmir Klitschko would not be the same fighter if he was 5'6" and 147 pounds.

No way. Comeback Foreman is the most overrated HW in boxing history. The guy got outboxed cleanly by Tommy Morrison. Lewis ends him.

Hard to say, Foreman only needs one, and amongst the top HW:s, Lewis is perhaps the one with one of the lesser strong chins. I'm not saying he has a weak chin, but he couldn't take punishment like Tyson, Holyfield, Ali, Foreman, Mercer, Tua etc.

Except he only went down twice in his career

It's a tough call between Mayweather and Lewis. Nobody else is even close.

I was referring to "prime" Foreman.

I didn't appreciate Lennox til I got older and I have him as the best HW. Not as culturally significant as Ali, nor the bubbling ferocity like Mike. He was a composed and non emotional guy and historically, Americans prefer the more braggadocios approach.

But he does get left out of the HW talks. And that is probably due, in some part, to his fighting style being cold and measured.

But easily the best HW of his era, imo. And if we ignore cultural significance, he could be better than Ali

I didn't appreciate Lennox til I got older and I have him as the best HW. Not as culturally significant as Ali, nor the bubbling ferocity like Mike. He was a composed and non emotional guy and historically, Americans prefer the more braggadocios approach.

But he does get left out of the HW talks. And that is probably due, in some part, to his fighting style being cold and measured.

But easily the best HW of his era, imo. And if we ignore cultural significance, he could be better than Ali
I totally agreed great Boxer but couldn't warm to him and never felt he was British as he won gold for Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back