Lennox Lewis is the greatest pound for pound, not Mayweather

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Think about it. The only time Lewis lost was because of pure arrogance. He easily avenged the 2 losses he had and beat everybody in the division. His style was fairly dry but he was technically adept with one the best jabs ever. The Vitali fight was stopped because of eye injury, but even if Lewis was down on the cards, it's easy to think that he could have blinded Vitali in an eventual prolongation.

I could see a very good argument for why he is the greatest pound for pound and not Mayweather.

What say you?

HW's have a hard time getting into p4p conversations. Anyway, I'd put Holyfield above him because of the number of quality opponents. Lewis beat him, that is true, and at the time it was a huge win, but in retrospect, Holyfield just didn't have the workrate by then that he used to.

Fwiw: Gene Tunney is another that claimed to have beaten every guy he ever fought.

HW's have a hard time getting into p4p conversations. Anyway, I'd put Holyfield above him because of the number of quality opponents. Lewis beat him, that is true, and at the time it was a huge win, but in retrospect, Holyfield just didn't have the workrate by then that he used to.

Fwiw: Gene Tunney is another that claimed to have beaten every guy he ever fought.

If Holyfield gets easily beat 2 times against Lewis, it's hard to make that argument. The first bout was not a draw. Only some ignorant judge made it that way. There is no argument for putting Holyfield above Lewis.

So? Take a look at Lennox Lewis from a technical perspective and he matches up well against anyone who ever boxed. He also had a high KO rating, as if that wasn't enough.

If Holyfield gets easily beat 2 times against Lewis, it's hard to make that argument. The first bout was not a draw. Only some ignorant judge made it that way. There is no argument for putting Holyfield above Lewis.

There's so many more to put ahead of Lewis for p4p. Mayweather, obviously, among others. Besides Holyfield has names that Lewis didn't. Lewis has Vitali but your conjecture that he would have won anyway is just that: conjecture.

Also, the way you initially wrote "what say you" makes me realize that I got suckered into an argument with someone that wants to dig in their heels rather than to be convinced.

Anway, Lewis is a solid HW, but there are better.

There's so many more to put ahead of Lewis for p4p. Mayweather, obviously, among others. Besides Holyfield has names that Lewis didn't. Lewis has Vitali but your conjecture that he would have won anyway is just that: conjecture.

Also, the way you initially wrote "what say you" makes me realize that I got suckered into an argument with someone that wants to dig in their heels rather than to be convinced.

Anway, Lewis is a solid HW, but there are better.

It's not conjecture that Vitali would have been blinded. The doctor said so. And anybody putting Holyfield above Lewis is either ignorant or a partisan american.

Even Lennox Lewis wouldn't agree with that. lol

I remember him being very impressed with Mayweather's last performances.
He said something like it's ubelievable how Floyd can still fight at such a high level.

Carl Froch and George Foreman expressed similar admiration, with the first one saying he didn't expect that Mayweather would be so much slick and sharp seeing him at ringside and Foreman
saying that Mayweather could really be the best ever.

Anyway, putting that aside the difference between the skill level of Lennox and Floyd is just too big imo.

Last edited:
Think about it. The only time Lewis lost was because of pure arrogance. He easily avenged the 2 losses he had and beat everybody in the division. His style was fairly dry but he was technically adept with one the best jabs ever. The Vitali fight was stopped because of eye injury, but even if Lewis was down on the cards, it's easy to think that he could have blinded Vitali in an eventual prolongation.

I could see a very good argument for why he is the greatest pound for pound and not Mayweather.

What say you?
Arrogance gets you KOed twice in your prime in today's time, and someone dares to call you GOAT with a str8t face? Nah.
You ever heard of Muhammad Ali? Roy Jones Jr? Sugar Ray Leonard? all danced around in absolute mockery of their opponents. They never got KOed in their prime.

If it was about easily avenging losses, why not pick Louis over Lewis? he avenged a 12 round war with a 1 round KO destruction. Only loss in his prime. The HW GOAT is either him or Ali. Neither of them are p4p GOAT.

Wladimir avenged the Brewster loss with super ease too, and would have avenged the Sanders one if was still alive(RIP). He was a defending world champion for almost 10 years in a row.

Funny thing is, people never let go of the close decision in the first Castilo fight, which Mayweather avenged. But you seem to let go of two clean cold lullabies for Lewis.

Conclusion: Lewis is not even the HW GOAT, let alone p4p.

Anyway, putting that aside the difference between the skill level of Lennox and Floyd is just too big imo.

You think midget Mayweather would beat Lewis in the same weight category (pick which ever you feel is most appropriate) in a hypothetical match up? No. Way. Jose.

Lewis isn't even top 10 at HW all time

George Foreman said Lewis was the greatest HW of all time. I don't know if he changed his mind recently, but he did believe that one piont at least.

They never got KOed in their prime.

So your stupid criteria is if he they ever got KO:ed in their prime? Not how the actual match looked? Lennox Lewis was the superior boxer in every single match-up, as his two revenges clearly showed.

111Lewis-down.jpg

Wladimir avenged the Brewster loss with super ease too, and would have avenged the Sanders one if was still alive(RIP). He was a defending world champion for almost 10 years in a row.

Wladimir Klitchko is not a superior boxer to Lewis. It's one thing to be Ko*ed , another to have a glass chin which many people belive he had /has.

"He is regarded by many as one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time, and also one of the greatest British fighters of all time.[2][3"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennox_Lewis
Wikipedia opinions are one of the weakest things to quote imaginable.
Though, he already know Lennox is great, he's a former lineal champ as a pro, and an olympic gold medalist as an amateur.
But in no way is he the GOAT of anything on an official's "regard".

Wladimir Klitchko is not a superior boxer to Lewis. It's one thing to be Ko*ed , another to have a glass chin which many people belive he had /has.
yep, and wlad is the one with the weak chin, yet both were KOed an equal amount of times.
Says something.
So your stupid criteria is if he they ever got KO:ed in their prime? Not how the actual match looked? Lennox Lewis was the superior boxer in every single match-up, as his two revenges clearly showed.
Stupid? I'm countering ur argument with ur own logic... U said he got KOed, not once but twice in the early rounds, out of arrogance. and in my reply, which u took out of context btw, I showed examples of people who regularly box/dance arrogantly/recklessly on a much larger scale than Lennox ever did. So, u called ur own criteria stupid.
In the end, u dont just give excuses for Lewis's losses cause of how the fight was going, but u discredit how Vitaly's fight with him was going before the loss. A doctor stopage is much less impressive than a clean KO to sleep. So you're contradicting your self again, and I'm just pointing it out is all.
George Foreman said Lewis was the greatest HW of all time. I don't know if he changed his mind recently, but he did believe that one piont at least.
Why you always lying! I just watched that video u posted. He said no such thing. He only said he has a spot among the greats. No fucking way would he even say Lewis is GOAT even if u pay him to.

Back