Korean Fighter looking sharp at Sambo Worlds

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score

It shouldn't come as a big surprise to me given how popular judo is in korea, but i never expected this.

That was great

It was pretty impressive, normally I don't see anyone who isn't Russian or Eastern European win in the worlds. I was really taken aback that korean dude would even know what samba was, let alone compete at a good level

Sambo's awesome, its a pity its rare to come across in North America

Koreans are Excellent Judokas, and have a decent wrestling program. To me Sambo is a mixture of Judo and wrestling. I actually am not surprised.

Koreans are Excellent Judokas, and have a decent wrestling program. To me Sambo is a mixture of Judo and wrestling. I actually am not surprised.
That's an interesting take, personally to me, sambo is a MMA system. If regular MMA (box, wrassle, jhu gif shoes, moo thigh, yellow bamboo) wasn't around, I'd head to a sambo gym in a heartbeat if the availability was around.

That's an interesting take, personally to me, sambo is a MMA system. If regular MMA (box, wrassle, jhu gif shoes, moo thigh, yellow bamboo) wasn't around, I'd head to a sambo gym in a heartbeat if the availability was around.

Recently (like in the last 10 years) FILA has recognized several "styles" of "wrestling" such as Grappling, Beach Wrestling, Pankration. However, for many years they only recognized three styles 1. Greco, 2. Freestyle, and 3. Sambo. Sambo is good for MMA, but it is more of a form of wrestling (at least to me it is). Sadly, finding a good Sambo gym is very hard. In the 80's and 90's the US National Sambo team were wrestlers that cross trained with Judo, and would go to a camp for a couple of weeks, learn the rules, and then compete. Guys like Steve Smith, Matt Vondresek, Clinton Burke, and Ron Tripp were Wrestler/Judokas, who competed at the world level and did very well.

Recently (like in the last 10 years) FILA has recognized several "styles" of "wrestling" such as Grappling, Beach Wrestling, Pankration. However, for many years they only recognized three styles 1. Greco, 2. Freestyle, and 3. Sambo. Sambo is good for MMA, but it is more of a form of wrestling (at least to me it is). Sadly, finding a good Sambo gym is very hard. In the 80's and 90's the US National Sambo team were wrestlers that cross trained with Judo, and would go to a camp for a couple of weeks, learn the rules, and then compete. Guys like Steve Smith, Matt Vondresek, Clinton Burke, and Ron Tripp were Wrestler/Judokas, who competed at the world level and did very well.
Beach wrasslin? Thats a style? Sounds like something you do with your chicka

Did you watch the video? This is Combat Sambo, with striking and GnP. Ko's style is at least 50% karate-derived.

Combat Sambo's awesome! But why didn't he put him to sleep? No sub's, only pins?

Did you watch the video? This is Combat Sambo, with striking and GnP. Ko's style is at least 50% karate-derived.

Honestly, when I did post I did not see the video, I was at work, and the video was disabled. After viewing the video, I thought Ko looked much more Judo influenced than Karate Influenced. Ko scored most of his points on throws, and the 4 point pin.

Seeing those te guruma and uchi mata really makes me wish judo rules would change again.

In terms of the video, that was a good performance. I wonder if more countries will start competing in combat sambo.

Sadly it is a FILA recognized style, where as Folkstyle is not.
FILA hasnt been the governing body for at least 4 years. After wrestling got removed from the Olympics, we got rid of FILA, hired new people, and switched to UWW

It is sport sambo in Fila, not combat sambo which is showcased in vid.

It shouldn't come as a big surprise to me given how popular judo is in korea, but i never expected this.

Is this korean a former or current high level korean judaka? Actually do we even know he ever trained judo?

Sambo's awesome, its a pity its rare to come across in North America

that is what I always say. There has to be enough people with a working knowledge who want to come here and teach. Yes, of course, it costs money and is risky, but its never not going to. Even BJJ started out in a garage.

Is this korean a former or current high level korean judaka? Actually do we even know he ever trained judo?

I have no idea who the Korean is, but through the powers of deduction, I am willing to bit that at the very least he trained Judo. Sambo is very rare in Korea, and he seemed to use the Jacket well, he had to have some Judo training.

Back