Kevin Lee calls for title fight with GSP at proposed weight class of 165-pounds

Haha, nice try Motown P. Just fight the winner of Alvarez-Poirier and get in line.

Lee is reaching hard if he believes he is anywhere close to deserving to share the cage with GSP.

When asked about his plans for the rest of the year, Lee told The Straits Times: "Right now, (what) makes the most sense is to really correct the divisions

"The 155lb and 170lb (divisions) are so messed up right now. You've got three titles between the two divisions already, so they've got to add another weight class.

"I think me and Georges for the 165lb title makes the most amount of sense. You do Conor (McGregor) and Khabib (Nurmagomedov, the reigning lightweight champion) in October, you do me and Georges in November, at Madison Square Garden.

"And maybe you do Tyron (Woodley, welterweight champion) and Colby (Covington, the interim champion) to figure out the 170lbs (up to 77kg) division."

Lee has long led calls - echoed by several other fighters - for the formation of a new division to sit between lightweight and welterweight, but UFC president Dana White has never confirmed he is willing to do so.

But Lee spoke with some certainty that the match-up with St-Pierre for the 165lb title would take place.

"Georges is one of the ones that really got me into the sport, I've kinda even modelled my career after him a little bit," said Lee.

"We started in the same first promotion, we had the same first manager, we have the same management (Creative Artists Agency) now.

"There are so many parallels to us now, that I think that adds even more intrigue to the fight

"It will be the hardest fight of my career, it'll be the biggest challenge But, as soon as I get back home from UFC Singapore, I'm going to go back and figure out how to beat the man."

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...-to-fight-for-new-ufc-165lb-title-in-november
This news is 2 days old. Learn how to use the search function.

Kevin Lee is so delusional. He's got like 4 guys ahead of him in the LW division, what makes him think that he is worthy of GSP? Yeah, maybe if he would have beat Tony Ferguson when he had the chance but he choked.

What makes the most sense, is for him to fight Pourier or Alvarez before he should even be considered for a title shot at either weight division.

155, 165, 175 makes a lot of sense.

Light and welterweight are both deep divisions rich with talent. You can be ranked 25th in the world in either of those divisions and still be a world class, well rounded fighter.

The upper weight divisions feature cartoonishly low combinations of rounded skill and athleticism outside the top 10. We're still shuffling around the old farts of yester-year at 205/265 and the current pay scale isn't attracting many elite athletes that size.

Correcting the enormous jump from 55 to 70 makes a lot of sense.

Lee is reaching hard if he believes he is anywhere close to deserving to share the cage with GSP.

That's a hugeeeeee reach, it's actually pathetic. It's just like when you hear those no name guys on the mic after they win asking for a unwarranted FOTN bonus or a title shot and you just cringe

Kevin Lee is so delusional. He's got like 4 guys ahead of him in the LW division, what makes him think that he is worthy of GSP? Yeah, maybe if he would have beat Tony Ferguson when he had the chance but he choked.

What makes the most sense, is for him to fight Pourier or Alvarez before he should even be considered for a title shot at either weight division.

We have to take these things in context.

Lee was on a 5 fight streak when he fought Tony, and he put four of those guys away. Go lookup the records of Trinaldo and Chiesa and then realize how impressive it is to tap those guys out back to back. Kevin is currently one of the most rounded MMA adapted grapplers in the sport.

He bounced back from the loss to Tony - sporting a visible staff infection - by putting away Barboza. The same Barboza that the current champion had to drag to a decision because he couldn't get him out of there.

Lee says some irritating things and his personality can be a turn off for lots of folks but he is clearly one of the best fighters in the world right now. He's in the mix for a title shot should 165 be created, and he's in the mix for a title shot at 155 right now.

155, then 165, then 170. Great idea. We should move to every 5 pounds for a weight class.

Then gradually, move to every one pound.
It might make sense if the WW limit is raised to 175.

Besides: LOL at Lee trying to cash in a titlematch against a star in GSP. Do your homework at 155 ffs.

Lee was on a 5 fight streak when he fought Tony, and he put four of those guys away. Go lookup the records of Trinaldo and Chiesa and then realize how impressive it is to tap those guys out back to back. Kevin is currently one of the most rounded MMA adapted grapplers in the sport.

He bounced back from the loss to Tony - sporting a visible staff infection - by putting away Barboza. The same Barboza that the current champion had to drag to a decision because he couldn't get him out of there.

Lee says some irritating things and his personality can be a turn off for lots of folks but he is clearly one of the best fighters in the world right now. He's in the mix for a title shot should 165 be created, and he's in the mix for a title shot at 155 right now.
Wait Khabib-Barboza was only three rounds, no? Lee finished Barboza in the fourth? Or fifth?

You make it sound as if Khabib was less dominant against Barboza compared to Lee which is not how I remember the fights.

Yeah, I'll concede that he has a good record in the UFC so far, but he's not an established UFC elite yet, so I still think he's delusional for thinking he's a draw vs GSP.

GSP won't come back for an impressive up and coming fighter who hasn't won anything yet, he only wants an established UFC great (khabib or Conor) or a money fight. If Tyron Woodley isn't enough for GSP to come back and fight, what makes Kevin Lee think he is

and scrap the duck division..

I mean mouse div.. its just a santuary to hide from reality

I don’t blame him for asking for a money fight.

But he was stopped a few months ago by Ferguson and the 165 division isn’t going to exist anytime soon.

I suspect GSP will pass.

Kevin Lee is a much better fighter than Bisping, for instance

Lol @ pretending he is some bum. Even GSP has been complementary of Kevin

155 165 175 makes a lot of sense and the roster can carry it. Will help cut out bullshit interim belts too. It makes a lot of sense.
I wouldn't do a 195 division though. Both 185 and 205 are looking threadbare of talent.A lot of old guys and under-performers.
As for Lee V GSP... LOL

? Which is why he is asking for a 165lb weightclass. Are you special?

maybe he should walk around so big and make weight at 155 like he did with no problems until this year.

ufc doesn't need to add made up classes to please fighters who are to unprofessional to make weight

Lee should just fight at 170.
That’s too big for him so he wants 165?
No thanks.

Back