Kevin Lee calls for title fight with GSP at proposed weight class of 165-pounds

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
When asked about his plans for the rest of the year, Lee told The Straits Times: "Right now, (what) makes the most sense is to really correct the divisions

"The 155lb and 170lb (divisions) are so messed up right now. You've got three titles between the two divisions already, so they've got to add another weight class.

"I think me and Georges for the 165lb title makes the most amount of sense. You do Conor (McGregor) and Khabib (Nurmagomedov, the reigning lightweight champion) in October, you do me and Georges in November, at Madison Square Garden.

"And maybe you do Tyron (Woodley, welterweight champion) and Colby (Covington, the interim champion) to figure out the 170lbs (up to 77kg) division."

Lee has long led calls - echoed by several other fighters - for the formation of a new division to sit between lightweight and welterweight, but UFC president Dana White has never confirmed he is willing to do so.

But Lee spoke with some certainty that the match-up with St-Pierre for the 165lb title would take place.

"Georges is one of the ones that really got me into the sport, I've kinda even modelled my career after him a little bit," said Lee.

"We started in the same first promotion, we had the same first manager, we have the same management (Creative Artists Agency) now.

"There are so many parallels to us now, that I think that adds even more intrigue to the fight

"It will be the hardest fight of my career, it'll be the biggest challenge But, as soon as I get back home from UFC Singapore, I'm going to go back and figure out how to beat the man."

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...-to-fight-for-new-ufc-165lb-title-in-november

I'd prefer to see a tournament for the division like they did with flyweight.

I don't think he would beat the man just me opinion though.

155, then 165, then 170. Great idea. We should move to every 5 pounds for a weight class.

Then gradually, move to every one pound.

Then someday we can have Super Fights between the 167 and the 169 pound champs.

Last edited:
Of course he would say this. One class, 155 he either can't make or is on death's doorstep when he does and the other 170, he knows he wouldn't have the strength advantage that he does at 155

2ct74z.jpg

Should really move 170 to 175 to have a nice 10 pounds between divisions.

lol he wants dat GSP payday. Everyone and their mom wants a piece of Georges or Conor if that means they're getting P A I D in a win or a loss.

Guy should worry about getting a belt in either before demanding a whole new weightclass for himself. He ain't got that kind of pull.

When asked about his plans for the rest of the year, Lee told The Straits Times: "Right now, (what) makes the most sense is to really correct the divisions

"The 155lb and 170lb (divisions) are so messed up right now. You've got three titles between the two divisions already, so they've got to add another weight class.

"I think me and Georges for the 165lb title makes the most amount of sense. You do Conor (McGregor) and Khabib (Nurmagomedov, the reigning lightweight champion) in October, you do me and Georges in November, at Madison Square Garden.

"And maybe you do Tyron (Woodley, welterweight champion) and Colby (Covington, the interim champion) to figure out the 170lbs (up to 77kg) division."

Lee has long led calls - echoed by several other fighters - for the formation of a new division to sit between lightweight and welterweight, but UFC president Dana White has never confirmed he is willing to do so.

But Lee spoke with some certainty that the match-up with St-Pierre for the 165lb title would take place.

"Georges is one of the ones that really got me into the sport, I've kinda even modelled my career after him a little bit," said Lee.

"We started in the same first promotion, we had the same first manager, we have the same management (Creative Artists Agency) now.

"There are so many parallels to us now, that I think that adds even more intrigue to the fight

"It will be the hardest fight of my career, it'll be the biggest challenge But, as soon as I get back home from UFC Singapore, I'm going to go back and figure out how to beat the man."

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...-to-fight-for-new-ufc-165lb-title-in-november

I think Kevin saw that match in his dreams hence talking about it

I've said this before, I think here or on reddit somewhere.

I'd love to see a tournament of GSP, Khabib, Max, Askren.

This shows what a total circus the UFC has become. No one even gives a shit about the titles anymore. It's only about cherry picking fights that make the most money.

this comes from a guy who knows he get crushed at 170 and is to big for 155.

Tournament would be most fitting. Especially considering Kevin Lee's inability to beat up people 10 lbs less than that.

This shows what a total circus the UFC has become. No one even gives a shit about the titles anymore. It's only about cherry picking fights that make the most money.

This is your response to him asking for a title fight?

I want less divisions not more. 130 lbs, 140 lbs, 155 lbs, 170... Also Kevin Lee just got choked out by Tony Ferguson and went 4 and a half rounds with Barboza at 155.... Lee is at least 2 big wins away from deserving a shot at the great GSP.

Last edited:
why on earth would gsp take that? I get that kevin is trying to be like conor but he isn't a draw or a champ

Back