Kevin Lee calls for title fight with GSP at proposed weight class of 165-pounds

When asked about his plans for the rest of the year, Lee told The Straits Times: "Right now, (what) makes the most sense is to really correct the divisions

"The 155lb and 170lb (divisions) are so messed up right now. You've got three titles between the two divisions already, so they've got to add another weight class.

"I think me and Georges for the 165lb title makes the most amount of sense. You do Conor (McGregor) and Khabib (Nurmagomedov, the reigning lightweight champion) in October, you do me and Georges in November, at Madison Square Garden.

"And maybe you do Tyron (Woodley, welterweight champion) and Colby (Covington, the interim champion) to figure out the 170lbs (up to 77kg) division."

Lee has long led calls - echoed by several other fighters - for the formation of a new division to sit between lightweight and welterweight, but UFC president Dana White has never confirmed he is willing to do so.

But Lee spoke with some certainty that the match-up with St-Pierre for the 165lb title would take place.

"Georges is one of the ones that really got me into the sport, I've kinda even modelled my career after him a little bit," said Lee.

"We started in the same first promotion, we had the same first manager, we have the same management (Creative Artists Agency) now.

"There are so many parallels to us now, that I think that adds even more intrigue to the fight

"It will be the hardest fight of my career, it'll be the biggest challenge But, as soon as I get back home from UFC Singapore, I'm going to go back and figure out how to beat the man."

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...-to-fight-for-new-ufc-165lb-title-in-november

GSP has never heard of Kevin Lee.

I get the new division. I get GSP being one side of the Octagon. But Kevin Lee is the odd one out here. In what freaking world does he think he's ever be in that position?

Surely the whole point of a 165 division would be so Dana could put on GSP vs. Conor.

maybe he should walk around so big and make weight at 155 like he did with no problems until this year.

ufc doesn't need to add made up classes to please fighters who are to unprofessional to make weight

It isn't a made up weightclass genius. He is too big to cut to 155 for years more and is clearly too small for 170. He and many others are perfect examples of 165 needing to be implemented.

It isn't a made up weightclass genius. He is too big to cut to 155 for years more and is clearly too small for 170. He and many others are perfect examples of 165 needing to be implemented.

it is a made up class since no other class would use it and it be a weigh number made up.

many people cant make 170 so lets have 173 or 189 for people who cant make 185.

Kevin Lee is a much better fighter than Bisping, for instance

Lol @ pretending he is some bum. Even GSP has been complementary of Kevin
Michael Bisping was the MW champ at the time, Kevin Lee is just a #5 ranked LW

why on earth would gsp take that? I get that kevin is trying to be like conor but he isn't a draw or a champ

GSP WOULD ACCEPT TO CLAIM 3RD TITLE WHILE STILL DUCKING WOODLEY AND KHABIB.

his thinking is always so obvious,
he usually even admits he picks the safest options,
but if he does this 90% of you will gush on what a samurai he is,
instead of asking why hes hiding from Khabib and TWood.

It makes sense he is asking for a title shot in a division he wants to create for himself, and potentially others that are too big for 155 and too small for 170. Easier to create a new division to get what you want as opposed to putting in the work/effort to make yourself better at a smaller division, or by going up a division.

It is no secret, bigger guys cut a shit ton to gain an advantage over a smaller guys in a certain division. Now we are witnessing individuals miss weight and are still able to fight in the smaller divisions (Till, Romero, Dern come to mind) and basically get a slap on the wrist.

If Lee can't hang at 155, then take a year or two off and bulk up in order to jump to 170. Stop this "I need to have an advantage over smaller folk" mindset to fight in a division you shouldn't fight in. And don't try and create another division for yourself because you are not good enough to fight in the smaller division wherein you hold a size advantage. Tony beat you Kevin, he beat you in a division wherein you held a size advantage but someone else had a big more size and was the better fighter. Either get in line or move up. GSP isn't going to sign on to fight you, it isn't a money fight and surely wouldn't draw as much as if GSP cut down to 155 to face Khabib/Conor winner.

165.... Shoot. St Pierre weight is from 155 - 185... or where ever the champ-champ wants... Plus we want Mcgregor or Khabib to fill the full power of Riddum...

Kevin Lee is a much better fighter than Bisping, for instance

Lol @ pretending he is some bum. Even GSP has been complementary of Kevin

Bisping was the MW champion, which is *far* more than Lee has accomplished in his career thus far.

and who even implied Lee is a bum? he's a great fighter with a ton of *potential*...but what has he *accomplished* to warrant a fight wtih GSP? right.

165? why not just go to 170? What's to stop the top WW's from cutting a few more pounds and ruling that division? Kevin clearly didn't think this through.

it is a made up class since no other class would use it and it be a weigh number made up.

many people cant make 170 so lets have 173 or 189 for people who cant make 185.

By that definition every weightclass is made up lol

You don't know about super lightweight and just assume it's a made up weightclass it's hilarious

ok i can understand the 165 thing and then making WW 175...no big deal.... BUT why would kevin lee be on line for that belt....? seems more likely Khabib would move up take the belt....Also i dont see why GSP would take the fight.... a potential fight vs woodley or covington would bring in more money

Back