Kaepernick or RG3?

Kaepernick or RG3?

• Kaepernick

• RG3

Results are only viewable after voting.
I already explained why. People use military members as props for their own selfish arguments. It's sickening and annoying.

And you don't speak for other service men and women. So shut the hell up or I'll give you a hug. Sexually.

I'll take chad penningtons reincarnation please.

against my better judgement i was just sitting here watching mike and mike. they had a 10 minute discussion on why kaepernick hasnt been signed. it was all about whether it was his skill or politics that was keeping teams away. not once was it mentioned that maybe he is too expensive for a backup, or better yet, that most teams dont want a backup qb that will be a distraction. doesnt matter if its his fault or not. if i am a coach, the last thing i want is to spend every day talking to the media endlessly about my backup qb.

It isn't like Kaepernick is a great quarterback. He isn't very savvy to have opted out from his contract. He'll be 30 this fall so he isn't a long term solution. There is some question about his ability to learn a new system so he might not be able to step in and play immediately. His last two seasons weren't that good. Would your team be better off with a rookie that comes cheap? Everybody looks at Dallas last year and wonders if they could get as lucky with a rookie.

With all of these considerations, teams have to factor in the divisive disruption he could bring to the team and fans. Football is entertainment and most don't want the disruption a player can cause.

I don't know if either player will get another chance in the NFL.

Well. Saying someone shouldn't be signed, is a distraction, not signable is an encroachment on someone's freedom. People should be disgusted with those things and the league. The league has wife beaters, addicts, murders, drunk drivers ect. But some guy talking about a social issue, right or wrong is too much. Think about that. Ray Lewis , a murderer, has a job on ESPN but people call Kap out for his job for being an "idiot". You know what a "distraction" really is, a manager or coaches inability promote a culture that values results. Jordan doesn't win the last three of his rings without Rodman. And what did the Bulls have to give up to get him, Perdue, not much because the rest of the league was incapable valuing results from wherever it came. The best thing that the 49ers could do is tell the media that "we support Kap in whatever he chooses to do off the field and we are a team that doesn't give a shit what you do or say outside of work. This is the USA and we just want you to show up work, train, take care of yourself, study, and come sunday play. ". I don't know. But a lot of you talk about how coaches and managers should be doing this or that but if a company operated similarly, talent would just leave. Good culture brings good employees.
I think you make some great points here, and I am generally sympathetic to them. I think the problem with this argument is that it ignores the damage Kaepernick's protest did to the NFL brand. I think it is obvious that NFL ratings were down sharply for many reasons having nothing at all to do with Kaep, but I find it equally obvious that Kaepernick's protest had more than a negligible impact on the bottom line. And that is the kind of thing very few businesses will tolerate, and rightly so.

The reason the NFL keeps its players on such a tight leash and fines guys tens of thousands of dollars for tweets they don't like, etc is because fans react to what the players do and say off the field and connect those actions and words to the NFL as a whole. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do. NFL owners have good reason to think that signing Kaepernick would anger too many paying customers.

This is one of the rare cases in team sports where we are reminded that the ultimate goal is not to win games but to sell tickets.

I think you make some great points here, and I am generally sympathetic to them. I think the problem with this argument is that it ignores the damage Kaepernick's protest did to the NFL brand. I think it is obvious that NFL ratings were down sharply for many reasons having nothing at all to do with Kaep, but I find it equally obvious that Kaepernick's protest had more than a negligible impact on the bottom line. And that is the kind of thing very few businesses will tolerate, and rightly so.

The reason the NFL keeps its players on such a tight leash and fines guys tens of thousands of dollars for tweets they don't like, etc is because fans react to what the players do and say off the field and connect those actions and words to the NFL as a whole. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do. NFL owners have good reason to think that signing Kaepernick would anger too many paying customers.

This is one of the rare cases in team sports where we are reminded that the ultimate goal is not to win games but to sell tickets.

Show me it affected the bottom line. There are actual criminals that are allowed to play with no concern. Ray Lewis is revered in Baltimore with no concern to ticket sales and he works for ESPN with no concern. If ticket sales were the reason, it is based in more myth than fact.

Show me it affected the bottom line. There are actual criminals that are allowed to play with no concern. Ray Lewis is revered in Baltimore with no concern to ticket sales and he works for ESPN with no concern. If ticket sales were the reason, it is based in more myth than fact.
Ratings were down and polls showed a large minority of fans claimed to be disaffected by Kapernick's protest and those who mimicked it. It was all over the news for about a year.

I also don't think you see how Kaepernick is different from Ray Lewis. Lewis committed a crime, and potentially was involved in a very serious crime. But people weren't personally insulted. A lot of Americans take insults to America personally; the same is true for most nations, because nationalism is a major part of identity for a lot for people. That's why it is such a strong political force. And Kaepernick put himself on the wrong side of that.

Also, if owners don't think Kaep could hurt their bottom line, then why aren't they signing him?

Ratings were down and polls showed a large minority of fans claimed to be disaffected by Kapernick's protest and those who mimicked it. It was all over the news for about a year.

I also don't think you see how Kaepernick is different from Ray Lewis. Lewis committed a crime, and potentially was involved in a very serious crime. But people weren't personally insulted. A lot of Americans take insults to America personally; the same is true for most nations, because nationalism is a major part of identity for a lot for people. That's why it is such a strong political force. And Kaepernick put himself on the wrong side of that.

Also, if owners don't think Kaep could hurt their bottom line, then why aren't they signing him?

I think it is in their heads that he might say or do something "really dumb" because he has been shown to be someone you can't put a leash on. I still stand by my statements thought that I don't think that this has any affect on the bottom line and the 49ers or whatever organization that signs him would do themselves a service if they just made a statement that "our workers and employees are free to voice their opinions on their own time without influence or prejudice by the organization. " Not just with this issue but the NFL treats their players and employees like shit. The union should be pressing in my opinion against Kaeps shutout.

No, his arm died a long time ago

Great combo.

mosspennington111110.jpg

I think it is in their heads that he might say or do something "really dumb" because he has been shown to be someone you can't put a leash on. I still stand by my statements thought that I don't think that this has any affect on the bottom line and the 49ers or whatever organization that signs him would do themselves a service if they just made a statement that "our workers and employees are free to voice their opinions on their own time without influence or prejudice by the organization. " Not just with this issue but the NFL treats their players and employees like shit. The union should be pressing in my opinion against Kaeps shutout.
You make some solid points, but such a disclaimer doesn't help much in a case like Kaepernick's, because his protest is part of the package of entertainment you present. It's not something he's doing on his own time, he is doing it right there on TV in a 49ers uniform.

But yeah, if it isn't affecting bottom lines, then someone could probably pick up a decent back up on the cheap. Overall, that doesn't seem to be how teams see it, because no one wants him.

Interestingly, Pete Carroll has apparently said that the Seahawks are looking at RG3 and Laepernick as potential backups. We may just get to see a good NFL coach's answer to the question posed in this thread.

Who in their right mind would pick RG3 over Kaep? I honestly don't understand how this is a debate.

Kaep is bigger, faster, more durable, less shell shocked, and only marginally less accurate.

Over past two seasons:

RG3: 6 TD, 9 INT, 2480 passing yards, 355 rushing yards
Kaep: 22 TD, 9 INT, 3856 passing yards, 724 rushing yards

Same amount of interceptions, but Kaep has 4 times as many touchdown passes. What is the debate here?

Interestingly, Pete Carroll has apparently said that the Seahawks are looking at RG3 and Laepernick as potential backups. We may just get to see a good NFL coach's answer to the question posed in this thread.

BuPxZ6lCUAA0BYS.0.0.jpg

Who in their right mind would pick RG3 over Kaep? I honestly don't understand how this is a debate.

Kaep is bigger, faster, more durable, less shell shocked, and only marginally less accurate.

Over past two seasons:

Same amount of interceptions, but Kaep has 4 times as many touchdown passes. What is the debate here?

Carroll interested in Kaepernick as a backup.

www.ninersnation.com/2017/5/25/15691218/colin-kaepernick-seattle-seahawks-russell-wilsons-backup

Over past two seasons:

That RG3 won't plummet attendance. Remember, at the end of the day, the reason you want good players is to win because winning puts butts in seats.

When you have a quarterback that neither wins nor resists driving away fans out of a personal political agenda...well, you take notice all those trees make up a forest.

That RG3 won't plummet attendance. Remember, at the end of the day, the reason you want good players is to win because winning puts butts in seats.

When you have a quarterback that neither wins nor resists driving away fans out of a personal political agenda...well, you take notice all those trees make up a forest.

That makes sense. However, conservative threats at boycotts almost never materialize, especially on such arbitrary premises. I really doubt Kaep would make any meaningful dip in attendance. Also, Kaep would add wins to a lot of teams. As a Packers fan, the Niners wouldn't have beaten Green Bay in the playoffs without him.

Back