JRE MMA Show #12 with Ben Askren

38:00- Rogan has studied a lot about CTE apparently.

its funny how joes definition of "studying something extensively" means watching a few youtube clickbait videos about it and then he considers his research "peer reviewed" after he tries to discuss it with brian callen while schaub just trashes all callens observations by default

he's got a MSc in youtube studies

I agree, one of the better podcasts I've watched.

Ben is easy to listen to; well spoken. I found it funny that he didn't want to swear, meanwhile Rogan is rolling them out every other word.

Sounds like Ben would be willing to fight again if it's for the #1 in the World spot. How about Bellator gives Askren a 1 fight contract and we see Rory vs Ben Askren?? That would be a good fight. IF Ben beats Rory, then Ben vs GSP in the UFC.

its funny how joes definition of "studying something extensively" means watching a few youtube clickbait videos about it and then he considers his research "peer reviewed" after he tries to discuss it with brian callen while schaub just trashes all callens observations by default

he's got a MSc in youtube studies

PhD in Broscience.

Ben is easy to listen to; well spoken. I found it funny that he didn't want to swear, meanwhile Rogan is rolling them out every other word.

It's surprising how likeable Askren is, right?

His basic personality I find is similar to Chael, right? They're both jocks, with a lifelong fascination with combat sports and willingness to engage in different pursuits, right?

The swearing thing is probably because Ben's wife doesn't like it and he is a new dad, right?

RIGHT?

Sounds like Ben would be willing to fight again if it's for the #1 in the World spot. How about Bellator gives Askren a 1 fight contract and we see Rory vs Ben Askren?? That would be a good fight. IF Ben beats Rory, then Ben vs GSP in the UFC.

Rory will probably be out for a long while but I like that matchup. Not sure how Askren beats GSP at this point when GSP has way more experience against better competition.

PhD in Broscience.

His basic personality I find is similar to Chael, right? They're both jocks, with a lifelong fascination with combat sports and willingness to engage in different pursuits, right?

The swearing thing is probably because Ben's wife doesn't like it and he is a new dad, right?

RIGHT?

Rory will probably be out for a long while but I like that matchup. Not sure how Askren beats GSP at this point when GSP has way more experience against better competition.

in all seriousness it was fascinating hearing ben talking about coaching and about the various mindsets he has observed. i had him down as a stoic type who just gets on with it, kind of like the dan henderson type thing, but he's willing to poke around and really see what makes people tick. and yet even after all that he is prepared to say that he likes cutting weight, since other people will be negatively affected by it and he won't cos he's not a pussy like them xD brilliant stuff

it was great hearing his pre-fight ritual as well, of having people around to just talk shite with and keep his mind off the competition. i've done a few half marathons and stuff like that before and the sense of anticipation in the hours before really just wore me out. i concluded that the best tactic for me was, like ben, to remain distracted, but for me rather than having people around this would mean just watching some bullshit on my phone or something.

i dunno if anyone caught this but i thought it was cool when they were talking about the rory/lima fight. ben said he got kicked once by lima and couldnt walk properly for a week. haematoma bless

yeah given how obnoxious bens personality can be it was funny to hear him say "F" instead of fuck or whatever. lol

What he says may be self-serving but are you really going to take the UFC's word over his?
He's a prick and that history seems strange to me, Dana saying to him go to WSOF prove himself was understandable, but i totally get that it's hard to believe in what Dana says.. i just find Askren as full of shit as Dana.

I enjoy when Rogan clears his throat 50-80 times in his podcasts

good to see this posted so more ppl can get some eyes and ears on it.

don't regret it. you were. you didn't - was just a petty overreaction.

There is a double standard in your reply. First, you think it is good for someone to apologize, then you tell that person they were not a dick and it was my reply that was petty.

The problem with Sherdog is some posters in here think they are above everyone else. As in, if you don't eat, breathe and shit MMA 24 hours a day you are either a noob, a conor fan that jumped on the bandwagon, or "fill in the blank".

No one in here is above anyone else. It takes all sorts to make the world go around. Realizing a mistake is great, applauding that person for the mistake is being the devil's advocate.

I like the first part of your reply, in my humble opinion you could have stopped there.

I do not have time to listen to Joe Rogan 24/7. I have a business, a family and a life. That is why I replied...in my petty overreaction, as you state.

Cheers.

Fuck yeah that would be wicked.

1:01:00 - Rogan can't remember all the fighters in the UFC (500 total)
1:02:00 - Eddie Bravo has a hundred 10th Planet JJ all over the world
1:03:00 - Martial Arts academies in Singapore - Askren is fascinated with SG
1:05:00 - Wealth displacement in Singapore
1:06:00 - Government intervention is meh
1:07:00 - Sen. McCain got sponsored by Budweiser to trash MMA in the 90's
1:08:00 - Conspiracy theories: 9/11 - inside job?
1:09:00 - Intelligence bureaus, black ops and false flags
1:12:00 - Were the moon landings faked?
1:15:00 - Hard evidence of fake moon landings. NASA was run by a Nazi?
1:20:00 - The recorded moonwalk was a bunch of guys jumping sped up
1:22:00 - Neil Armstrong's cryptic message
1:25:00 - Back to the recorded moonwalk
1:26:00 - Askren as a wrestler is highly suspect of an astronaut "falling" while moonwalking
1:28:00 - The Lima-Rory fight. Askren has a blackbelt in JJ.
1:29:00 - The guard is mostly ineffective in MMA nowadays. Lima's kicks are deadly.
1:30:00 - Lima should've exposed his back to Rory to get up even if it is a JJ sin.

Rogan. Is there anything he didn't talk about... ;) Would love to hang with him for a day.... Also. Watched an episode of the new Fear Factory. Rogan > Luda

PhD in Broscience.

RIGHT?

Thank goodness someone else mentions the "right" usage. I was honestly interested in what askren had to say but couldnt get over the rights. Whats wrong with us and why has no one else brought it up in this thread?

PhD in Broscience.

Before knowing his story, I thought he was an ego-dick. Most of the video clips that I had watched
depicted him as a jerk. He seems very down to earth and well-rounded.

Something tells me he'll be back for a couple of high profile fights.

Listened to this yesterday, it was pretty good - never payed much attention to him, never listened an interview of him before, I'm a fan now. He is a very determined dude.

Very interesting to hear his side of the story on his beef with the UFC. Sounds like something Dana would pull.

Askren comes off really good here.

Weird that amateur wrestling seems to have lots of great wrestlers who also know how to coach.....yet this is very rare in other sports.

This was a great podcast and Askren came off as articulate, measured and easy going.

I cannot imagine his frustration getting jerked around by Dana.

Back