JRE MMA Show #12 with Ben Askren

What he says may be self-serving but are you really going to take the UFC's word over his?

It's not even the UFC's word since they haven't spoken on the situation. There's zero reason to not believe him.

There is a double standard in your reply. First, you think it is good for someone to apologize, then you tell that person they were not a dick and it was my reply that was petty.

The problem with Sherdog is some posters in here think they are above everyone else. As in, if you don't eat, breathe and shit MMA 24 hours a day you are either a noob, a conor fan that jumped on the bandwagon, or "fill in the blank".

No one in here is above anyone else. It takes all sorts to make the world go around. Realizing a mistake is great, applauding that person for the mistake is being the devil's advocate.

I like the first part of your reply, in my humble opinion you could have stopped there.

I do not have time to listen to Joe Rogan 24/7. I have a business, a family and a life. That is why I replied...in my petty overreaction, as you state.

Cheers.

i used to take adderall too.

Surprised he had him on the mma show and not his regular podcast. Giving no fucks at all. He just let Ben come on all Ariel style and tell his story.

Good to see Joe maintain his independence.

1:30:30 - Askren actually says "fuck" for once
1:31:00 - JJ guys should employ folkstyle wrestling tactics in MMA
1:32:00 - Yoel Romero's freestyle wrestling is all about takedowns - but lack control; this is why folkstyle wrestling is a better style for MMA
1:33:00 - Yoel is a freak of nature
1:34:00 - Askren is adamant Alexander Karelin was on steroids (Icarus); steroids are rampant in MMA, duh
1:35:00 - Apparently Manila is a country, lol
1:36:00 - One FC's weight classes and cutting weight based on hydration test
1:38:00 - Uriah Hall's cancellation; One FC has the best weight cutting system
1:40:00 - Askren only cuts water weight because he is disciplined in his diet
1:42:00 - Weight cutting in college wrestling
1:43:00 - College wrestlers are modern day Spartans
1:44:00 - Great schism in JJ training and Wrestling training
1:46:00 - Coaching kids - frustrated with JJ training
1:48:00 - Technique vs. Pushing hard
1:49:00 - Jordan Burroughs; the beginner's mindset
1:51:00 - Mistakes in competition drives improvement in training
1:52:00 - Strength and conditioning in college wrestling
1:54:00 - Askren is not that stron but strong in a wrestling specific sense
1:55:00 - S&C in MMA

Last edited:
1:56:00 - Askren was a chubby kid- wanted to lose weight and went from 130lbs to 100lbs at age 11 (lol)
1:57:00 - cutting off soda and fast food is amazing for weight loss; doesn't take supplements
1:59:00 - Realizes Manila is not a country lol
2:00:00 - Fighting a Russian dude in One FC who was obviously on the gear; "Man, USADA really did a number on these guys"
2:01:00 - Rivalry with Johny Hendricks; Ben suspects Johny is on the gear
2:02:00 - Trainer/fighter contracts in MMA
2:03:00 - Jake Rosholt -3x NCAA champ; shifting successfully to MMA from Wrestling or Kickboxing is not a sure bet despite being champion-level
2:04:00 - Wrestlers are more successful in MMA than other combat athletes because they are more open
2:06:00 - Askren thinks Khabib is really good
2:07:00 - The guard in MMA is not very effective anymore save for a few guys
2:10:00 - Khabib vs. Ferguson
2:11:00 - Tiramisu hired a nutritionist
2:12:00 - Strip Conor; Askren wants to fight GSP
2:13:00 - GSP might not want to fight Tyron because he hits hard; focusing on coaching wrestling
2:14:00 - Running his own academy vs. coaching wrestling
2:15:00 - Askren's podcast: T-row and the Funky show

I love it when Rogan shuts up and lets his guests speak

Last edited:
As long as i can remind people to not go see the last jedi. Since we're time traveling here.

This video popped for me earlier today on youtube and I was really impressed with how Funky answered.
Seems super knowledgeable. Sounds like he'd be a great coach.

Back