Joining the Resistance II

• Thread starter Deleted member 382931
  • Start date
It's all good, homie. It's all about getting your priorities in order.

Sa, 6.2.16 – C33W2D3
Supported L-Sit:
40s

Squat:
60kg x 5; 85g x 5
110kg x 3
135kg 3x2

OHP:
bar x 10; 40 x 5
52.5kg x 5
60kg x 5
67.5kg x 5

Deadlift:
60kg x 5; 100kg x 5
130kg x 5
150kgx 5
170kg x 5

Hammer Curls:
12kg 3x12
Back Extensions: BW 2x20

Tough session, mainly due to my tight lower back and shoulder funkiness. The extensions really helped ease the pain. When I restart lifting after the conditioning cycle, I'll run the same basic outline, but start way lighter. I think I was ill-prepared for the jump in volume and underrecovered from the start.

It's all good, homie. It's all about getting your priorities in order.

I'm glad I just have to sacrifice a week to the brunt of my exams this semester, not the usual 2 months.

Tu, 8.2.16 – C33W3D1
Power Snatch:

bar x 5; 50kg x 3
60kg x 2
70kg x 2
80kg 2x1

Squat:
50kg x 5; 80kg x 5
100kg x 3
115kg x 5
130kg x 3
145kg x 3

Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
70kg x 5
85kg x 5
95kg x 5
105kg x 3

Chins: 5x6
Rear Delts: 40lbs 3x12

Had my fourth exam in the morning, went lifting right after. Good reps throughout with short rest periods and I tried to make up some volume on bench. With the way the reps feel right now I'm already looking forward to reincorporating strength work in 7 weeks. Plan for the upcoming weeks: Skiing tomorrow, last lifting session on saturday, two weeks of BJJ and random lifts and then base building.

The day of skiing was great, we had luck with the weather. Initially the sky was dim and it snowed a lot, but after noon the sun came through and more people were on the slope. On friday I was at the farewell party of a buddy, who's abroad (china) for the next few months, like probably half the people I see regularly, it seems.

Played Witcher 3 for the remaining weekend and went to BJJ on monday evening; working full-time again complicated getting to class the following days. Plan for this weekend is to start studying for my next exam in two weeks, get to jiu-jiutsu at least once and try to switch off for my birthday party.

BJJ - 2/19
Easy session, mostly whitebelts. Worked on the basic mount escapes and armbars.
Some light power cleans with 80kg were done randomly.

Went out with some friends from uni on saturday fro my birthday, great evening out. Second half of sunday was spent with my relatives, rest of the weekend I repeated material on lightweight construction.

BJJ - 2/22
Higher paced class. Did sprint rounds with sprinting one legth of the room and then jogging the other half and one full round for 10-15min. I like that drill, it opened my lungs and sucks less than burpee intervalls. Techniques covered were arm drag, single leg defence and technical mount into back mount.

This week I've got a practical course about model building featuring sub-projects like medical phantoms (silicone) and an elbow orthotic made out of thermoplastics. For the elbow phantom we first needed a plaster model of our own elbow from mid-upper to mid-lower and mine's dwarving the rest. Which means I need more time cleaning and preparing, but that's the sacrifice for residual muscle growth you got to make.The course is offered by the chair of microtechnologies and talking with the instructors they're professor wants to increase focus on exosceletons for medical and industrial use (a military application wouldn't bother me either). I'm already inclined to topics like rapid prototyping, medical eng and mechatronics, so I probably should try and get onto a project like that.

Base Building
Mo, W1D1 - SE 3x20
Diamond Push-Ups
Squats
Banded Rows (strong band + fat grips)
Sit-Ups
Push-Ups
Band Pull Aparts (light band)
Cossack Squats
Banded Good Mornings

This was the first session of the 8 week conditioning cycle. For those, who have not read Tactical Barbell, in the first 5 weeks you focus on strength and aerobic endurance, the last 3 weeks is (re)introducing strength training and intervals. The SE circuits are done all exercises for the alloted reps (x20) for a certain number of sets (x3).

By the time I was finished, I had hell of a pump going on. Needed to rest-pause on the push-ups, rest was fine.
Today I should be doing a 30min endurance session, running or cycling or whatever, but right now I'm not sure if I can ge to it. I feel crushed and still should probably study until 9pm and then hit the sack, test is at 8am tomorrow.

Well, an hour after I posted the above, I got severe symptoms of food poisoning. Mostly throwing up every half hour until 2am. Still, I held up quite well and took the exam, because fuck wimping out. So far, I've held myself together with caffeine and aspirine and haven't been able to eat anything besides two apples since yesterday evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems I just cover low-points from post to post. I crashed horribly after my last post, was toast until thursday evening. I needed to get to work on friday to finish a project and lasted until early afternoon. I feel terribly weak right now, appetite is slowly coming back and mood is at a low. On the upside, I've lost ~4kg (sitting @91-92kg), so yay for spontaneous weight loss week.

I'm going to start this block again, but I'll modify it a bit to accomodate jiu-jiutsu. I'll do aerobic work on Tu/Th/Sat, BJJ on Mo/We/Fr and some strength endurance on friday after class plus whenever I can't make it to class. I planned to do this block as written, but then it's either no BJJ or BJJ sessions on top, which would wreck me physically and temporally

Tactical Barbell Base Building - Reloaded

BJJ
(yesterday)
Various takedowns, back take from guard, sparring
I still felt the aftereffects of last weeks sickness, so I had to sit out a few rounds of drills and rolling (and burpees).

Endurance
Stationary bike - 30 min - 140 Watts
Originally planned to go for a run, but it was 8pm when I got home, so I jumped on the bike.

So far, so good.

Endurance
LSS Run 20 min

Should have been 30, but ran in the dark without a watch and my knee started to hurt.
Apart from that pretty enjoyable, I think double the time wouldn't be too hard right now.

Sunday: Endurance
LSS Run 32min

Today: Endurance
40 min stationary bike - 150W

So far, so good. Currently I'm low on will power for everything, at least the cycling is easy and the runs moderately fun. I'm counting the hours to next wednesday after my last exam, which means sweet, sweet freedom. As most ordinary students (unlike me) are now starting to plan the imminent new semester, the courses and timetables were made public today. I just have to write my bachelors thesis and take ONE last class to get my degree.

Because the only decent spanish class is at the same time as the boxing course, I'll (sadly) have to postpone getting punched in my face. On the upside, more time for BJJ and lifting, so fine by me. To continue the lesson I learned from my last lifting cycle, I'm not going to add stuff to my plate and try to do more with less, which means: hauling ass on the thesis, getting mat time in, get strong and conditioned.

Wednesday: BJJ
Managed to get to class and impressed some purple belts by power cleaning two plates before warming up.
This session was heavy on open guard passing and pass defense, which was hell on the grip.

Yesterday: Endurance
LSS Run 35min
Sore AF, tired, had stitches throughout and needed to stop and walk every couple of minutes.

Upon waking up today it was clear that I had enough will power to either study or go to jiu-jiutsu, I ended up studying. I can't imagine how people with a life and goals feel like.

Endurance
44 min LSS Run

Needed some time to get into gear, but in the end a much better experience than last time.

Yesterday: Endurance
51 min LSS Run

The complete opposite from the last two runs, I stopped halfway for the first time and only needed three walking breaks total. It is true, you'll have the best training sessions when you don'twant to go.

Endurance
35min LSS Run

Had some hard cramping in my right foot and pain in my left knee, so I cut the run short and walked the last 10 min.

Mhm, seems like I really fell of the wagon this time. In my defense, I think my knees and feet didn't like the sudden introduction of running at that rate and decided to act up whenever I have to stand longer than a couple of minutes. In the meantime, I spent a few days on vacation with the familiy, got a few massages and back home I laid bricks with my dad for our new terrace.

BJJ
First time in forever, the mat was full to the brim. Went over some basic takedowns and combinations, then some rounds of sparring, nothing to extravagant. So glad I made it back on the mat.

Next week I'll (finally) get back to lifting. I also made the decision to visit a chiropractor or someone similiar for my neck pain, I probably should have done this already some time ago.

Last sunday I went hiking with some friends and my brother on the Wallberg, we had great weather, but in the late morning the melting snow falling from the trees transformed the trail into a slip'n'slide, so we turned around 2/3 of the way up. After a total of 4h we were back at the car and went out for some excellent food.

Tegernsee-Talblick.jpg

Yesterday, after completing my move into my apartment, I went to BJJ. Great class, lots of drills and sparring situations, with a continous pace from start to finish. We started with a basic takedown-medley and -sparring and some work on the back take from guard with an armbar finish.

Th, 14.4.16 – BB-6

Power Snatch:
bar x 5; 40kg x 3
60kg 3x3

Squat:
60kg x 5; 80kg x 5
100kg x 3
120kg x 1

Some power cleans from hang...

Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
70kg x 3
80kg 4x5

Chins: 3x6

After pondering the question "Do I even lift" at length, I finally got back into the gym. Aaand proceeded to snap my shit up. Eager to jump back into the saddle, I flew through my warm-up sets and strained my left hamstring, which locked up on me on my first rep with 120. Scratched squats and deadlifts thereafter, but helped my gym buddy with some power clean practice. The ham should be good to go by tomorrow, hopefully.

BJJ
Light sparring to warm up, some Kouchi-gari and Osoto-gari drills, some more sparring. Good session.
I bruised my knee, but the hammy is back to life, so I'll lift tomorrow.

Upon review of my logs it is glaringly obvious that my consistency has been atrocious for the last half year.
I'm slowly coming around mentally, meaning I'll got a clearer picture of the future and dropped a lot of anxiety.
Apparently S is the letter of the month, because I'm enrolled in lessons to ultimately get my (yacht) sailing license, I'll probably go surfing for two weeks with some buddies in august and trips to Spain, South Africa and more sailing is planned until 2018.

Motivation is high, sun is up, guns are blazing.

Th, 21.4.16 – BB-6
Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
70kg x 3
82.5kg 3x5

Squat:
50kg x 5; 80kg x 5
100kg x 3
115kg 3x5

Dead:
60kg x 5; 90kg x 5
120kg x 3
150kg 3x5

Had to rearrange my scedule a bit and decided to properly put the last three weeks down. The movements felt expectedly rusty, getting better with every set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to BJJ class on friday, can't recall what was the programme. Yesterday we had a 3h seminar by Eduardo Rocha, absolute beast and great coach. He covered butterfly/half guard passing, giving depth to the apparently simple moves with a great eye for detail. I was pretty thrashed after and had a small piece of banana cake and a double ration of chicken-lentil-stew.

Su, 24.4.16 – BB-6
Power Snatch:
bar x 5; 40kg x 3
60kg 3x3

Squat:
50kg x 5; 80kg x 5
100kg x 3
115kg 3x5

Dead:
60kg x 5; 90kg x 5
120kg x 3
150kg 3x5

Needed forever to warm up, the lack of stretching in the recent past is to blame. Baby steps.
Ditched benching for today, the benches were occupied and I didn't particularly want to do it anyway. This attitude might explain my lackluster progress with this lift.

Back