130kg x 5
180kg x walkout

Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg 5x3

Chins: 5x5
Rear Delt Fly: 40lbs 3x12

Seems like the posts of the last three months have been lost. Eh, apart from a few PR's and some positive life stuff nothing extraordinary happened. This was another good session, although I don't remember anything of it right now. Got hit by a nasty bout of migraine on thursday, I had trouble stumbling out of bed. After I missed the button on the coffe maker four times I decided to go back to bed and cancel the whole day.

Today: BJJ
Sprained my ankle with sound effects while drilling some leg trips. My partner thought I tore my foot off completely for a moment, but after some careful examination I could at least drill some of the guard stuff and participate in soem light rolling. On a scale from scratch to In-need-of-amputation, the pain is currently around 4/10. I can walk, drive and would be able to kick somebody, but I wouldn't like it. Depending how I'm feeling tomorrow, I'll get some lifts in.

Okay, I won't lift today. My ankle still hurts like hell, so bench and chins would be the only reasonable things to do. Between my returned headache, tiredness and some home improvement I'm not exactely motivated to make the trip. Blablabla, excuses, excuses, excuses.
Next week I'll do some heavy deadlifting, benching and whatever else I'm able to do.

Tu, 22.12.15 – C31W3D1

Bench:

bar x 10; 50kg x 5
70g x 3
90kg x 2
105kg 2x1
115kg x 1
125kg x 1 (PR)

Deadlift:
60kg x 5; 100kg x 5
140kg x 3
165kg x 2
190kg x 1
210kg x 1
230kg x 1 (PR)

Felt sluggish, so popped 400mg of caffeine. Teh 125 was solid, the 230 less so.
This sessions theme song is supplied at the top.

Nice stuff in here, man! Really good shit, keep it up.

BJJ
I'm a mess. Every fiber from my neck down to my calves is cursing me. My head feels like a pressure cooker. I've got some weird pressure on my eyes. Concentration was nonexistent and the ankle started acting up after warming up.

Apart from that, I sucked more than usually today.
I plan to squat tomorrow, if I can roll my carcass out of bed.

Boom, congrats on dat 230kg deadlift.

We're both pull the same weight.. fancy a race to 235 or 240kg in 2016?

Th, 24.12.15 – C31W3D2

Power Snatch:

bar x 5; 50kg x 3
60kg x 2
65kg x 1
70kg x 1
75kg x 1

Squat: 60kg 2x5

OHP:

bar x 10; 40 x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
65kg x 3
70kg x 3
40kg x 5 (klokovs)

This is all I was able to do today, hips and back were not cooperative.

Nice stuff in here, man! Really good shit, keep it up.

Boom, congrats on dat 230kg deadlift.

We're both pull the same weight.. fancy a race to 235 or 240kg in 2016?

Thank you guys.
@Flash: Sure, let's make it to 240kg.

Thank you guys.
@Flash: Sure, let's make it to 240kg.

Kg1Ua1.gif

Hey Kotov, I noticed you are from Germany, are you by any chance familiair with strengthshop.de products?

Hey Kotov, I noticed you are from Germany, are you by any chance familiair with strengthshop.de products?

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I only hear good things about them. MilkMan and Flash have stuff from them and seem to be quite pleased, as are a lot other people.

I think a concluding write up of the year is appropriate right now. From the goals I set 12 months ago, this happened:

230kg Deadlift --> DONE (+20kg)
185kg Squat --> 170kg (+5kg)
140kg Bench and Front Squat --> 125kg (+5kg) and 130kg (stopped before I could max out properly)
90kg OHP and Power Snatch --> 82.5kg (+2.5kg) and 85kg (first time of proper testing)

Staying in the 94kg class, becoming less fat. --> Surprisingly, I'm ~93kg with visibly lower BFP
Accumulate 100 BJJ, 50 conditioning and 50 prehab sessions --> 67 BJJ sessions, rest was dropped
Don't get injured stupidly (I can almost accept gloriously) --> Multiple little things that kept me from training properly for a few days, but overall I'm less achy right now than a year ago.

My 1RMs didn't move that much, but I made some good rep PRs across the board. This year was a big learning experience: I spread myself out too thin inbetween studying 60h+ per week, commuting 3h+ per day, sleeping too little, taking (and passing) an unholy amount of exams, plus there were some rather unpleasant moments of stress and depression. Fortunately, my work load is now drastically reduced (by not having to do so many damn exams anymore). I've lost some fat and build some muscle mass, which will come in handy next year.

Take home messages:
  • Consistency is king: smal lay-offs compound, as do small PRs
  • Sleep is your enemy: Eating with discipline is mostly under control, sleeping not
  • Keep it simple: Work harder on fewer things
  • Reliable planning: "Do whenever you feel like it" means it gets done precisely never.
For the next year, it will look something like this:
  • More work on the big lifts, less on accessory exercises (Big 4 + Chin-Ups + Power Snatches basically)
  • Conditioning: TB2 base block in february/march, when I won't have consistent gym access anyway
  • Sleep more by going to bed earlier
  • Consistent time on the mat and for my other hobbies (guitar, juggling, lock picking, etc.)
  • Live life
In numbers:
180kg/130kg/240kg - S/B/D
90kg - OHP/Power Snatch
80 BJJ sessions
94kg max BW

Power Snatch:
bar x 5; 50kg x 3
60kg x 2
65kg x 2

Squat:
60kg x 5; 90kg x 3
110kg x 3
130kg x 3
150kg x 2

Bench:
bar x 10; 60kg x 5
80kg x 3
90kg x 3
100kg x 3

This session was a drag, hips and lower back were stiff, but I somehow got some lifts in.

Before I officialy start training this year tomorrow, I wanted to write some things down.

The past year has left a few marks on me. Following the rejection of a girl I fell hard for caused by being to chickenshit to make a deciding move, my self-confidence and -worth took a nosedive. Reinforced by the workload I described earlier, I hunkered down and did little else than study, train and pity myself. Many times I struggled with discipline, asking myself why I even kept up with my scedule.

Forward to september, I somehow not only pulled through, I completed the curriculum of my engineering course for the first 4 semesters on time. To put this into perspective: Of the students starting my course, 60% get cut after the the second semester and fewer than a quarter of the remaining ones complete basics on time. With that out of the way, I had some room to breathe. I got a great part-time job, the new lectures are amazing and I'm more outgoing again. To be honest, life is as good as never before. I'm still searching for a "cause", a source of motivation besides preventing degeneration into a grumpy couch potato, but having a nice outlook on the future helps.

The last few days I had no drive to train, but writing this put things into perspective. I spent the last years correcting deficits (physical, mental, etc.), but I'm probably just at a point where I should look further than the obstacle in front of me. Meaning in addition to the training goals above, I should meet more girls, play more guitar, take more risks and make something out of the opportunities that present themselves (so basically honouring Lemmy's legacy).

TL;DR:
It bears repeating: "Just because shit's heavy, doesn't mean you can't lift it"
Happy new year folks

Meaning in addition to the training goals above, I should meet more girls, play more guitar, take more risks and make something out of the opportunities that present themselves (so basically honouring Lemmy's legacy).

TL;DR:
It bears repeating: "Just because shit's heavy, doesn't mean you can't lift it"
Happy new year folks

I like this.

BJJ
First session of the new year, pushed myself a little. Ankle is at 90%, only hurts on certain movements anymore.
Some throws, some guard stuff, some rolling.

We, 5.1.16 – C32W1D1
Power Snatch:

bar x 5; 50kg x 3
65kg 5x3

Squat:
65kg x 5; 90kg x 3
105kg x 3
120kg x 3
135kg x 3

Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg 5x3

Pulled something in my lower left trap early into the session, did affect the lifts a bit.
Completely unrelated, the current Parkway Drive album is worth a listen.

Th, 7.1.16 – C32W1D1
Supported L-Sit:
2x30s

OHP:
bar x 10; 40 x 5
55kg x 3
65kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
55kg 3x5

Deadlift:
60kg x 5; 90kg x 5; 120kg x 3
140kgx 3
160kg x 3
180kg x 3

Chins: 5x5
Dips: 5x5

Yesterday: BJJ
Loads of people on the mat, good vibe. Rehearsal of the different single legs and half guard stuff from the last weeks.

Sa, 9.1.16 – C32W1D3

Power Snatch + OHS:

bar x 5; 40kg x 3
60kg 3x2

Squat:
60kg x 5; 85g x 3
115kg x 3
130kg 5x3

Bench:
bar x 10; 50kg x 5
80kg x 3
90kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x 2
80kg 3x6

Shrugs:
180kg 5x5

Surprisingly few people in the gym at the beginning, but it began to fill up quite noticeably when I left.
Contrary to the way I felt on tuesday (wrecked and beaten), this session was great.

Back