John Lineker benches 280lbs.

Meh, that's not crazy, but I don't know why MMA fighters would be doing a lot of bench pressing.

God damn 350 bro?

Last time I tried to bench heavy, I hit 320 for two reps, clean benches all the way down to the chest and back to arms fully extended. I'm pretty sure I could hit 350 one time. The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure Sage Northcutt can bench more than me.

At least he says so:

strong fella.

Well he is a pro athlete, prob walk around at 160, wide frame short limbs, most likely touch and go.. Not that crazy, especially in the powerlifting world.

maybe with his spotter doing bro rows. I've seen plenty of guys who don't look like they bench what they say and then when they actually get under the bar, their spotter is rowing like half of it. Saw a guy who couldn't even push 315 clean say he did 365 and when I saw his spotter rowing half of it I wanted to throw my water bottle at his balls.

Last time I tried to bench heavy, I hit 320 for two reps, clean benches all the way down to the chest and back to arms fully extended. I'm pretty sure I could hit 350 one time. The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure Sage Northcutt can bench more than me.

No way in hell he could. Shebro's talk about lifting big numbers, but actually always multiple 2x what they can do. tree fiddy is allot especially if natty.

No way in hell he could. Shebro's talk about lifting big numbers, but actually always multiple 2x what they can do. tree fiddy is allot especially if natty.

It's natty, but it's not that much man. I was lifting with a shelf stocker at a local grocery store when I hit 320 x2, he did too he's like 50 but to fair a fairly jacked 6'1 215. So I lifted what a half retarded, 50 year old shelf stocker also did. There's also a little Cuban guy about Lineker's size maybe a bit more muscled, 5'2-5'3 tops he benches 300lb for 2-3 reps, but he only goes down about half way and it's quick jerky benches. Remember, Dana fucking white benched 300+lbs on multiple occasions.

i benched 285 at 165 after 3 months of powerlifting training so it's not that hard, i started with a max of about 180 at 150.

I'm guessing lineker walk around weight is some where around 160-170

It's natty, but it's not that much man. I was lifting with a shelf stocker at a local grocery store when I hit 320 x2, he did too he's like 50 but to fair a fairly jacked 6'1 215. So I lifted what a half retarded, 50 year old shelf stocker also did. There's also a little Cuban guy about Lineker's size maybe a bit more muscled, 5'2-5'3 tops he benches 300lb for 2-3 reps, but he only goes down about half way and it's quick jerky benches. Remember, Dana fucking white benched 300+lbs on multiple occasions.

I have long ass orangutan arms, I'm more like a gus or bones build.

We got some impressive lifters here.

That's nothing. I weighted 100 lbs and after 3 weeks of intense training, I could easily bench press 600 lbs. I figured I could bench press 1000lbs if I worked out for 1 month and ate my eggs. That's of course raw without a bench press shirt.

I have long ass orangutan arms, I'm more like a gus or bones build.

My reach is only 73in, I got measured just the other day and I'm 5'11 (although sometimes when I'm measured I'm told 6ft so thereabouts 5'10.5-5'11.5). I wonder about my arms, I have super stubby fingers which I think impairs my reach measurements by an inch or two at least...If you put me from armpit to fist, I'd probably have as long of arms as say, GSP, but if we went from armpit to fingertip I'm sure he'd have a longer arm...we don't punch with our fingers though, unless we're Jon Jones.

Benches aren't a big deal, although I think incorporating a few heavy lifts to build muscle, strength and explosiveness can help like squats, leg presses, dead lifts, bench presses, rows, along with more finely tuned explosive and dexterity exercises to refine the muscle fibers. I'm a much bigger fan of resistance training, calisthenics, plyometrics, body weight exercises but you gotta find a balance, for you. Rolling and wrestling especially will make you comprehensibly stronger than anything though.

Kinda ironic that we're discussing weight(lifting) fir a guy who has a problem with weight (as in making weight).

I believe it.

Dude has explosive power and is compactly built.

John-Lineker.jpg

I guess he can spot me...?

to be honest as someone who has lifted for a while that's a reasonable lift, it's 300lbs + that is hard for someone to achieve especially if they weigh less than 200lbs. Most guys pushing 400lbs will be 225lb +

Disregard the exceptions and people with great mechanics, there is no need for an athlete like a fighter to be much stonger than that if he weighs less than 180lbs, he won't truly carry that strength into the fight, their are unique benefits to being heavier and having larger dimensions regardless, that being gym strong can't compensate for. It's still just a lot better to be the bigger dude than the dude that is stronger with weights, all though their is a correlation obviously.

If I was in his position however i'd stick to other lifts now or once I could rep 230x8. Maybe partials/board press, overhead presses, plyometrics etc. Lineker won't become a better a fighter if only he could just bench 300, unless he takes steroids to achieve it, in which case it's just the steroids talking.

For a natural, Milk the beginner gains, 3-6 months of hard work, eating plenty, and then forget about getting stronger, dimishing returns, the pay off isn't there in athletic performance and the risk of injury is always there. You will need to gain too much weight proportional to your frame and organ size, and relative to what you are adding to the bar, to be becoming more athletic, far from it....... A casual recreational lifter or an athlete that cares about his shoulders might avoid bench pressing altogether, and be all the better for it.

Impressive number for a fighter no question. It's thread like these that really exposes how many non athlete's really post on this forum

Pretty good, esp since most fighters hardly do 1 rep max. Like others have said, Power Lifters do a lot more.

to be honest as someone who has lifted for a while that's a reasonable lift, it's 300lbs + that is hard for someone to achieve especially if they weigh less than 200lbs. Most guys pushing 400lbs will be 225lb +

Disregard the exceptions and people with great mechanics, there is no need for an athlete like a fighter to be much stonger than that if he weighs less than 180lbs, he won't truly carry that strength into the fight, their are unique benefits to being heavier and having larger dimensions regardless, that being gym strong can't compensate for. It's still just a lot better to be the bigger dude than the dude that is stronger with weights, all though their is a correlation obviously.

If I was in his position however i'd stick to other lifts now or once I could rep 230x8. Maybe partials/board press, overhead presses, plyometrics etc. Lineker won't become a better a fighter if only he could just bench 300, unless he takes steroids to achieve it, in which case it's just the steroids talking.

For a natural, Milk the beginner gains, 3-6 months of hard work, eating plenty, and then forget about getting stronger, dimishing returns, the pay off isn't there in athletic performance and the risk of injury is always there. You will need to gain too much weight proportional to your frame and organ size, and relative to what you are adding to the bar, to be becoming more athletic, far from it....... A casual recreational lifter or an athlete that cares about his shoulders might avoid bench pressing altogether, and be all the better for it.
This is an exceptional post.

Back