Siyar Bahadurzada
Donald Cerrone
Carlos Condit
Kenan Song
Holly Holm
Cub Swanson
John Dodson
Ray Borg

Of course some of these guys aren't quite as good as they once were, but this is a group of pretty solid UFC level fighters, all top 20 in the world in their division (except for Song). How many top 20 guys do SBG have?
I'm not saying SBG is better. SBG is shit. But does anyone actually rate them high? I know the extreme Conor lovers do, but normal people don't put SBG in the conversation when talking about great camps.
We're talking overrated here, not best/worst camp.

Last edited:
TS spittin truths.

This has crossed my mind before. Every time McGregor flattens someone he's looking for a microphone, talking to Helwani, or releasing a book. How do we know this has anything to do with him, & isnt him just lucking his way into 'coaching' a guy who would have made it big regardless?

What other success stories does he have?

I mean the fact that is the coach of a two weight world champion makes it damn near impossible to be overrated. The only time they completely dropped the ball was the first Diaz fight when they did absolutely no prep or gameplan for Nate other than "punch him in the face".

Conor's been with SBG for ten years. He almost quit MMA before going to Kavanagh. He didn't luck upon the guy that was going to be a world beater, he made him into a world beater. From the get go he had a knack for dropping dudes but you don't train somewhere for ten years and credit all of it to an 18 year old kid. If he was a shit tier coach he'd produce shit tier fighters, and clearly doesn't. Does he get too much credit? No, I don't think so. You can be overrated but THE MOST OVERRATED EVER? No, not really.

Firaz Zahabi is more overrated. Kavanagh doesn't really get a ton of praise as being a master coach from real fighters, he's more praised as being the guy who helped Conor along. Zahabi on the other hand actually gets a ton of credit for being a master strategist and top coach, in reality if you heard him talk about philosophy of science on JRE the guy has no basic logic or reasoning ability or any basic understanding of science.
I did enjoy the philosophy of science at least being discussed. Too many assumptions are made in science that are incorrect. Constants aren't always constant for example, and even if we have a good idea that they are we can't possibly know for certain.

I did enjoy the philosophy of science at least being discussed. Too many assumptions are made in science that are incorrect. Constants aren't always constant for example, and even if we have a good idea that they are we can't possibly know for certain.

Healthy skepticism is not only good, but encouraged. What Firas Zahabi demonstrated was not that though, it was Edgy Brah level reasoning.

I don't know anything about his coaching skills, for Nate 2 he was invaluable in the corner for Conor though. I thought it was top corner work specifically for Conor. So calm, while Nate was having to tell his own corner to chill.

Whether he helps you learn effective techniques, no idea.

What constant has changed? I know Alpha has had different values to 5 decimal places but that's more likely down to errors in measurement. Not assumptions but Axioms, if someone could demonstrate a change in a constant then it would be seen as a great thing in science, the excitement in science is not when things conform to your understanding but when they don't, cause then you have a problem to solve.

Kavanaugh is a good coach the only reason you bums hate him is because he is Conors coach.

Firaz Zahabi is more overrated. Kavanagh doesn't really get a ton of praise as being a master coach from real fighters, he's more praised as being the guy who helped Conor along. Zahabi on the other hand actually gets a ton of credit for being a master strategist and top coach, in reality if you heard him talk about philosophy of science on JRE the guy has no basic logic or reasoning ability or any basic understanding of science.

So? What does one have to do with another?
Bravo is a top bjj guy and he believes in the Flat Earth.

Overrated? Who’s out here calling him the best? Pretty much everything/everyone I see says the same thing about him. That he’s an overly cocky guy who struck gold with Conor, that’s all.

I read his book. It was okay. Hard working man. MMA vanguard for Ireland.

I never heard anybody on SD saying he is a great coach.
Based on that.. I would not call him overrated.

Also have how many world champions over the years?

GSP, Evans, Holm, Jones.

Also, ABQ has almost the same population as Dublin. Dublin on the other hand is the capital city and one of the financial epicentres of Europe. ABQ is a dump in the dessert. That dump was so good that it attracted world class fighter after world class fighter for over 10 years.

I think we will move on :)
Those fighters could go to any gym and still be good. Jackson just taking credit

Has anyone ever left SBG and seen some massive improvements at a different camp?

Who does he have aside from Conor and MAYBE Gunnar Nelson (who is extremely one dimensional)? I don’t think he’s good at teaching fundamentals and he seems extremely disorganized. Idk, Gallagher’s preparation for Friday night really got me thinking. How could you let your fighter into that fight knowing he can’t even defend a simple 1-2? Bandejas threw 3 1-2’s in the first round and Gallagher got clipped on all of them. He couldn’t even move his head off the center line. How can you let your fighter step into the cage against a 10-1 Beast if he can’t even defend the simplest punching combo in the book?

John is a BJJ coach.

Back