Jazz vs Metal drummers

Jazz drummers are typically a bit better in different time signatures and with independence in their limbs. But metal drummers tend to have much better double bass chops since it’s such a staple for metal.

Also, I could be wrong, but it think jazz drummers typically do not use triggers. They tend to be a bit more fundamentally sound, which again goes back to the independence with which they can use their 4 limbs, as well as their ability to understand higher musical concepts, theory, and time signatures. Not to say that metal drummers are somehow deficient in that arena. I think jazz drummers just focus on it more.

Jazz drummers are typically a bit better in different time signatures and with independence in their limbs. But metal drummers tend to have much better double bass chops since it’s such a staple for metal.

Also, I could be wrong, but it think jazz drummers typically do not use triggers. They tend to be a bit more fundamentally sound, which again goes back to the independence with which they can use their 4 limbs, as well as their ability to understand higher musical concepts, theory, and time signatures. Not to say that metal drummers are somehow deficient in that arena. I think jazz drummers just focus on it more.
It's the time signatures with jazz that pisses me off with jazz. Everything seems to be on the anticipation back beat it seems contrived. Give me a metal drummer any day. I know it's my flavour of music but I'm pretty eclectic...I just can't get on with jazz.

It's the time signatures with jazz that pisses me off with jazz. Everything seems to be on the anticipation back beat it seems contrived. Give me a metal drummer any day. I know it's my flavour of music but I'm pretty eclectic...I just can't get on with jazz.
Oh, I agree. Most jazz is such pretentious bullshit. There is something to withholding the resolution of a particular part, to build anticipation, and then add a bar of 4/4 so that the piece finally has some type of resolution and groove. But they just fucking move onto the next part, no groove, no bar of 4, just another insane time signatures and another riff that never resolves.

I also hate jazz musicians. I took an improvisational music class in college. It was basically a free pass for the guys in the college’s jazz band. They were complete ass hats who thought they could play much better than they actually could. Their technique was fucking sloppy as shit, and they had no chops. They had a much better grasp of keys and modes than I did. But I just made due with playing minor scales in the relative 4th or whatever key they were in.

Jazz in its purest form is improvisation and based on feeling. One musician decides on taking the lead, the others hang back and act as support, then someone slowly takes over. It really rides on the connection the players have and requires you to check your ego at the door so you can let others have their moment so they will leave you yours. It's a spectacle of neurosynchronicity on one hand, and an incredible allegory of human connection and cooperation at another.

I get the hate for jazz because I couldn't get it either for the longest time until I realized it wasn't about the melody but rather about what was happening on stage. Jazz is terrible studio music and should be experienced live.

Great drummers shine

Which is better? Like asking which woman is the most beautiful I feel

But to get back to the original question, it's apples and oranges. You can't say one is better than the other. However, jazz drummers are usually classically trained and have discipline and develop a better ear and overall musical feel. Metal drummers are good at metal; they play fast and hard and their timing needs to be excellent so that the music doesn't sound awful. But it's really different

giphy.gif

Oh, I agree. Most jazz is such pretentious bullshit. There is something to withholding the resolution of a particular part, to build anticipation, and then add a bar of 4/4 so that the piece finally has some type of resolution and groove. But they just fucking move onto the next part, no groove, no bar of 4, just another insane time signatures and another riff that never resolves.

I also hate jazz musicians. I took an improvisational music class in college. It was basically a free pass for the guys in the college’s jazz band. They were complete ass hats who thought they could play much better than they actually could. Their technique was fucking sloppy as shit, and they had no chops. They had a much better grasp of keys and modes than I did. But I just made due with playing minor scales in the relative 4th or whatever key they were in.
Sadly departed but a friend of mine was so into jazz he was at Ronnie Scotts every Friday which was a bit of a journey and was a real thespian sort. I never slagged him off for it but he was there for the pretentiousness rather than enjoying the music, I swear.

Only free pass jazz gets is the character Bosch on TV. Admire your musician knowledge with the 4/4 by the way, it's been a long time since I was taught.

You need extreme talent for both. I’m certain that if a jazz drummer just shifted gears at the start, he or she could have gone metal and vice versa

now, what’s really impressive is when someone can do both extremely well like a Virgil Donati

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band is probably the best I've ever seen. I think he could definitely do metal but metal drummers couldn't do what he does.

Last edited:
And another one that's up there:

I think that's it for now. Enjoy.

Morgan Agren...nice! Glad to see someone mention him, and post my favorite vid of his!

TL;DR for those who thought it started slow...watch 2:00 - 4:00 ish then skip to 5:00 for the juicy bits!

**edit**
And in case you can't tell from the vid he's a good jazz guy too

Last edited:
Jazz drummer reacting to one of the greats as far as metal goes. I'm not much for reaction videos usually but this channel is stellar. Also great for discovering new metal drummers.

Yeah I'm a big fan of his channel. Love watching him geek out to Thomas Haake and Elliot Hoffman.

Yeah I'm a big fan of his channel. Love watching him geek out to Thomas Haake and Elliot Hoffman.
Definitely. The channel basically got me into drumming. I play the guitar, but man I would like to take some drumming classes....

The greatest drummers have a huge Jazz influence, even if they later transition into Rock/Metal

Terry Bozzio, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Porcaro, Gavin Harrison, Marco Minnemann, Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford, Dave Weckl just to name a few. They all shit on these pure metal drummers

TFOOH

Last edited:
There are quite a few extreme metal drummers and guitarists who also do jazz, they aren't really as separate as one would think

Back