Jazz vs Metal drummers

Jazz drummers, as speed and power aren't the main features.

The greatest drummers have a huge Jazz influence, even if they later transition into Rock/Metal

Terry Bozzio, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Porcaro, Gavin Harrison, Marco Minnemann, Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford, Dave Weckl just to name a few. They all shit on these pure metal drummers

TFOOH

This is one of the greatest music videos ever

<JackieThumbsUp>

5.gif

mma drummers

Jazz drumming is like a medium rare steak and metal drumming is well done meat. Both have their place.

Jazz drummer reacting to one of the greats as far as metal goes. I'm not much for reaction videos usually but this channel is stellar. Also great for discovering new metal drummers.

There are some pretty crazy breakdowns of Meshugga songs using konnakol which is the Indian language of rhythm.

Nice thread . I remember Ginger Baker, the hard rock drummer for Cream, was originally influenced by jazz. Charlie Watts was originally a jazz drummer.

I like jazz music more than I like metal, so I am biased. I think your average well known jazz drummer will be better than your average well known metal drummer.

I like jazz music more than I like metal, so I am biased. I think your average well known jazz drummer will be better than your average well known metal drummer.
I'm the opposite as far as music taste but I totally agree, the average Jazz drummer is going to be a lot more well rounded and competent than the average Metal drummer.

There are some insanely good Metal drummers, here's John Longstreth with some madness:

Jazz and math rock drummers playing complex rhythms impress me more than metal drummers. Or drummers who play in bands that blend genres (eg bands like maximum the hormone mixing pop, punk, thrash and doom metal) and they've got to lay the foundation for all those genres.

I'm the opposite as far as music taste but I totally agree, the average Jazz drummer is going to be a lot more well rounded and competent than the average Metal drummer.

There are some insanely good Metal drummers, here's John Longstreth with some madness:

I think he's really good and his drumming style fits metal music perfectly.

Well here i post about George Kollias a drum teacher professor at University at Athens, Greece

playing jazz:

And regarded as one of the BEST death metal drummer (Band: NILE)

Drum cam.... live unedited, Nile:

Well here i post about George Kollias a drum teacher professor at University at Athens, Greece

playing jazz:

And regarded as one of the BEST death metal drummer (Band: NILE)

Drum cam.... live unedited, Nile:

He's such an amazing drummer, so insane. Have seen Nile a bunch live but it was before George joined, so I really need to see them ASAP.

Metal guy, for the most part. Jazz drummers as a whole have more raw talent. Been playing and been around for a long time. Bad jazz drummers are never heard of because you cannot be a bad drummer and play in jazz. It really is as simple as that. You will be asked to kick rocks. There is no place for you. Probably the genre with the most talented musicians overall.

Overall though, I would rather listen to metal drummers, as it generally fits the music more, with less "randomness" to it all.

Back